Why become a member? ×

Truss rod woes…

donslow

Ladies and gents…

if I may direct your attention to the following thread, namely my last comment…

I can’t get ANY movement on the truss rod AT ALL!

when I got the bass it was pretty grime and had rust all over, so I’m not sure if it’s rusted or done for

people of the basschat fraternity…any advice on what I can do to work out if it’s ceased and dead or just stuck a little bit would be of massive help and greatly appreciated

Truss rod adjustment on any older bass is a very delicate procedure. If your sure you have the right size tool for the adjuster nut it may just be a case of gritting your teeth and turning it in the right direction to see if it will move. A quick skoosh of something like WD40 or similar onto the adjuster nut might help to loosen a corroded or seized adjuster nut. Spray and leave for a while before trying.  Be mindful of the sounds you hear while trying. Bass necks can make some excruciatingly painful sounds when you're trying to release a seized trust rod adjuster. The worst issues I've come across were on older Mex Jazz basses ( late 90's to early 2000's) where the nut seized and would no longer offer enough adjustment to bring the neck into a true and stable condition. Padding the adjuster out with spacers helped but thats only possible if you can actually turn the adjuster. If you don't feel confident enough to try loosening the adjuster, it's probably better finding a local luthier who can do the deed. If the nut adjuster has been over tightened and stripped the thread then you will def need a luthier to repair it.  It may even boil down to finding a replacement neck is the most cost effective repair.