Why become a member? ×

New Rig Part 2 - The Ashdown Question.....

spongebob

As a follow-up to my last rig thread search, I've pretty much decided to go down the Ashdown route.Apologies for the long post in advance.....

Hope we have a few experts on here that can fill in a few gaps!

Really wanted to start down the combo route, and add to if needed (hoping it wouldn't be). Originals project (2 x guitars, drums, me), so moderate volume needed - not playing to o2 yet, so don't want to go mad!

Great price (Andertons) for a few bits.

Option 1 - 

The Rootmaster CM 115T is at £449. Looks great - lists 500w RMS, but can't seem to find out what it is without a cab? I'd love this to be enough on it's own, as that behind me is plenty to go deaf with!

If it did need a cab, any suggestions? As I previously mentioned, my old Trace 1x15 was rated at 150w - and I used that in a loud 5-piece - although it was twice the weight of the Ashdown.

Option 2 - 

The OriginAL 500 amp is only £249. PMT have the RM 115T-Evo cab 300w, for £270. £528 all in. For a while, I ran a Rumble 500 into a 1x15, (300w), and found it better and had more presence than the 350w 2x20 combo!

I'm a bit far to test these out, so it's an online job. Trying to maximise power, whilst keeping the cost as low as poss, and the weight down. I'm probably missing out on something obvious.....if there's a better way, please educate me!

Option 1:

You’ll get around 300W into the internal speaker. Best thing is to go for the 1x15 RM can to match as it is the same. Plenty on here about the potential issues with mixing different drivers/driver sizes. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. It’s a lottery.

Option 2:

I like the OriginAL 500 head, it’s lovely. Less bells and whistles than the RM so it’s really a toss up on what you want the amp to do. For example the drive and compression on the RM head both give the tone something “more” in the mix.

FWIW, I’d be looking at the RM800 which @FinnDave is selling on here. You’ll never need anything else power wise. EDIT for link:

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both sound great, I have the RM500 and the OriginAL pedal. I’d say that you can do more with the RM due to the combination of drive/compression/pre-shape, these make it very versatile but for a solid good bass sound the OriginAL hits it. I use the pedal as my home-practice sound and it’s a really nice sound, tho the valve-drive set to anything other than fully off is far too much for me.

And after saying all that I’d be looking at FinnDaves RM800, and then keeping my eyes open for a lightweight cab that can handle 400watts at 8Ohms. 

• Like 1

I too can praise the RM800 .. I have the current model which has very little difference to the first version, headphone out mainly.

I would say even the Original 500 head would be a good option too

I never use the drive or subharmonic feature on the RM800 so I use it as a simple amp ( but great sounding ) with good EQ.

You can’t go wrong with the Ashdown range as long as you get 500w upwards for playing gigs etc 

The RM800 is a very loud amp and can be quiet for home use too 

Edited by BassAdder27

Thanks chaps, sound advice indeed.

Love the look of the Rootmaster combo, great weight, just concerned that alone, it could be lacking in a band scenario, even for rehearsal. Time I add another 115 cab, probably close to £800.

Do most of the Ashdown 1x15 cabs with the combo?

Kind of hoping that it would do for now on its own, don't want to go mad given how bands go!

The OrigiAL amp, with the 115 cab.....cheaper, but may need another cab at a later date? Cost overall about the same.

The combo will be fine for rehearsals. Gives you plenty of time to save for a matching second cab :)

Ideally you’d want to match the same range as the design will be the same; as I said before any mix an match (even same manufacturer and driver size but different speakers/cabs) will have different frequency and phase responses.

5 hours ago, spongebob said:

I'm a bit far to test these out, so it's an online job. Trying to maximise power, whilst keeping the cost as low as poss, and the weight down. I'm probably missing out on something obvious.....if there's a better way, please educate me!

where abouts are you s.bob

6 minutes ago, nikon F said:

where abouts are you s.bob

I'm down on the Romney Marsh in Kent......and with work and stuff, trying to get to shops a couple of hours+ away isn't really an option at the mo.

1 hour ago, Merton said:

The combo will be fine for rehearsals. Gives you plenty of time to save for a matching second cab :)

Ideally you’d want to match the same range as the design will be the same; as I said before any mix an match (even same manufacturer and driver size but different speakers/cabs) will have different frequency and phase responses.

I am tempted by it! Looks great, and would (hopefully) work as an all-in-one for the time being. Like any originals project, gigs may be infrequent and some way off yet, most probably next year. So there is no rush to go mad buying a huge wall of sound.

Would the combo pair with all of the Ashdown 1x15 cabs? I do love me a 15!

19 minutes ago, nikon F said:

if you happen to be near sittingbourne and you want to have a play with the RM 800 head  thru a 1 x 15 let me know . ( ive got an ashdown and a barefaced )

That's immensely kind of you, NF! You never know - much appreciated.

Used to use a rehearsal room in Sittingbourne about 10 or so years back (I still lived in Tenterden then, so a bit closer), think it was on an industrial estate. Also played in The Entertainer, and The Red Lion around your way! 😁

• Like 1

The Rootmaster stuff is great. Running the 1x15 combo with another 1x15 cab will give you a very deep, monstrous tone. I used to use the RM500 head with two 1x15 cabs. I stupidly sold one of the cabs then found myself lacking something at a big function gig and got myself a Rootmaster 2x10. I'd prefer another 1x15 though.

Second hand Ashdown cabs are great value but you'd likely have to go and collect them which sounds like it's not a great option for you right now. 

Playing through two Ashdown 1x15s looks good too, I think! 

FB_IMG_1505833167223__01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I emailed Ashdown yesterday, reply from them first thing this morning. Super stuff!

The RM combo apparently puts out around just over half of it's capable 500w. Also echoed what has helpfully been suggested here - stick it with any Ashdown 15" cab if required.

Anyone know if the cabs to combos are speakon to speakon? Only ask, my old Rumble was jack to speakon from memory.

I think this is definitely the route I'll be going down. Combo should be enough for rehearsals (maybe even some gigs if DI'd out?), and the option of the cab at a later date if required. Band is recruiting the couple of required new members now, so as soon as I get a practice date, I'll have one here within 24 hours.

Got some great advice on this thread, thanks to all for excellent input! 

15 hours ago, spyder said:

Or.......... why do you have a White feather duster coming out of your trousers. 😂

That was Freddy Mercury's hoover and cleaning kit... 

Freddie was cropped put because it got two hot for him in the second half and he got rid of the wig, fake boobs and crop top and looked very odd in drag only from the waist down! Jim Morris on was a shambles on the other side of the stage trying to play guitar and Bruce Forsyth was on drums! 

Edited by uk_lefty
  • Haha 1