Why become a member? ×

Musicman question

dmccombe7

11 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Great info Mudpup thank you 👍,  I know everyone has different priorities on basses, but for me it’s how the neck feels , I’ve moved on many just because they didn’t feel right 

I'm only up the road from East London - J7/J8 off the M11 and you're welcome to pop up for a play on mine at some time if you like......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

For info Dave, this is the one that escaped my cull. It’s been modded with a Jon Shuker neck gloss makeover and stainless frets. Plays very nice and not stupidly heavy.

CD77C281-AA3C-47B7-9007-94224945E149.jpeg

A20008D4-2CB5-4F16-B803-CAD45A026554.jpeg

ooohhh that's nice. Did you change the neck or did you buy it that way. Just curious why the neck was changed.

Dave

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

ooohhh that's nice. Did you change the neck or did you buy it that way. Just curious why the neck was changed.

Dave

No, bought it with the standard ‘oil-wax’ neck but I’ve never been keen on that finish (grew up on a 1990 Ray with a gloss neck) so I had it refinished with a vintage tint. As it’s a maple board this meant the frets had to come out so I had stainless replacements.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I recently bought an OLP bass and fitted a Nordie vintage style MM pickup and a Retrovibe Stinger 2-band EQ which as a combo makes for a pretty cheap bass.  My mate who knows about these things tells me it does a very passable imitation of a pre-EB Stingray, but maybe that's because he's a mate.

• Like 1

Guys, anyone own/have owned a US Sub from the 00s? 

Theres one locally for around 600 quid and I have an m2000 i might part ex for it.

I hear they ate heavy, have the old school 2 band eq and aren't far of the US Ray's. I have a ray34 I love to death but its 3eq. Is there much difference or am I buying the same bass again? :)

6 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Theres one locally for around 600 quid and I have an m2000 i might part ex for it.

I hear they ate heavy, have the old school 2 band eq and aren't far of the US Ray's. I have a ray34 I love to death but its 3eq. Is there much difference or am I buying the same bass again? :)

I have a US Sub 5 - it’s very light. They probably vary. I’m not sure on price but I’ve heard of others paying that much.

The 2 band makes a certain sound that many struggle to achieve with a 3 band Stingray (I can get quite close with mine - its a question of cutting the mids, in particular). 

Id say they are sufficiently different to be an asset and most people seem to like the tone (they’re poplar bodies and rosewood board). They also seem to hold, if not increase their value. Remember they’re very much a 2 band Ray in cheaper (industrial-like) clothing - if you’re happy with that, I’d say they’re a great bass for the money. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

I’ve had a couple of USA Subs, and agree with drT’s comments above. Sound and play great, and medium weight IMO. Only other thing to mention is the lack of a belly cut and arm contour so more of a slab body design. Not a problem in particular, just doesn’t fit your body quite as well as a USA Stingray. Great basses which seem to be rising in price just lately too.

I’ve played a few of the US Subs when they came out and didn’t like them at all. Didn’t like the finishing, particularly the necks which to me felt unpleasant, and all the ones I played were on the heavy side. The Indonesian basses are a better bet IMO. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I’ve played a few of the US Subs when they came out and didn’t like them at all. Didn’t like the finishing, particularly the necks which to me felt unpleasant, and all the ones I played were on the heavy side. The Indonesian basses are a better bet IMO. 

Thanks 4000

My real question is are the new specials worth 2k? ;)

• Like 1

I've got a couple Stingray style basses. I've got a Sterling Ray 35 and a far Eastern Ray5. Both are really nice to play. Both necks are the same width & profile and apart from a slightly nicer finish on the Ray 35 neck they feel exactly the same to play. The SUB is a bit lighter. 

There is quite q big difference in how they sound, the Ray35 being much more punchy and having more bottom end and a bigger sound, to me it sounds much better.

I have put a Darkglass preamp in the SUB which adds a lot of punch and clarity and more midrange, I think it's a big improvement. I will put a Seymour Duncan pickup and I think that'll make it as good as the Ray35 but it'll then have cost the same as well (I bought both used).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Not when I have one in the classifieds for under £2k 😂😂😂

Seriously, they are top notch. 

Yeah I’d agree - both of mine are HH - originally cost £2299 (a 4 and a 5). I use them a lot along with my Classic Sabre. 

That Classic looks nice (no it’s not mine!!) - it’s up for £45 less than I paid new for mine! Mine has birds eye, flame and a bit of quilt in the neck. That colour (coral red) was only available between NAMM 2010 and NAMM 2011 so they’re thin on the ground. As close as you’ll get to a 2 band Classic in fiesta red (one of the members here has the original prototype which actually is called fiesta red 😏)

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah I’d agree - both of mine are HH - originally cost £2299 (a 4 and a 5). I use them a lot along with my Classic Sabre. 

That Classic looks nice (no it’s not mine!!) - it’s up for £45 less than I paid new for mine! Mine has birds eye, flame and a bit of quilt in the neck. That colour (coral red) was only available between NAMM 2010 and NAMM 2011 so they’re thin on the ground. As close as you’ll get to a 2 band Classic in fiesta red (one of the members here has the original prototype which actually is called fiesta red 😏)

Its lovely.

Can't decide between it and tectonic blue sr5

15 minutes ago, horrorshowbass said:

Its lovely.

Can't decide between it and tectonic blue sr5

Not an easy choice, completely different animals in terms of tone and feel (aside from the obvious that one is a 5er 😂). But both will be a great purchase for sure. 

18 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Not an easy choice, completely different animals in terms of tone and feel (aside from the obvious that one is a 5er 😂). But both will be a great purchase for sure. 

Yeah quite different. My Classic has TI flats on it - but the Classic Sabre has brand new Elixir stainless Steel rounds - combined with the mahogany body of the Sabre, and roasted maple/stainless frets (so a bit of a forerunner of the Specials - but with a figured roasted neck) - the Sabre is getting most usage followed by the SR4HH with brand new EBMM pink pack nickel rounds!! I think you can see where my current tone choices lie!!! It’s helped by needing to do Tony Levin’s line on Sledgehammer, with an octaver!! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Yeah quite different. My Classic has TI flats on it - but the Classic Sabre has brand new Elixir stainless Steel rounds - combined with the mahogany body of the Sabre, and roasted maple/stainless frets (so a bit of a forerunner of the Specials - but with a figured roasted neck) - the Sabre is getting most usage followed by the SR4HH with brand new EBMM pink pack nickel rounds!! I think you can see where my current tone choices lie!!! It’s helped by needing to do Tony Levin’s line on Sledgehammer, with an octaver!! 

👌 nice one

Tbh I think I'm going to enjoy the moderness if the sr5. As close to a modulus fleabass as ill ever get :)

• Like 1