Why become a member? ×

Review of Shuker build course

geoham

18 hours ago, verb said:

I contacted Jon about building an RD style body with a bolt on neck and 3+1 tuners. He said that it would be possible as long as it sticks to the basic Fender build style. I am currently making body and headstock templates at home.

As has been mentioned, Jon runs a 1to1 course where more complex builds can be made.

It's probably best to speak to Jon with regards to different timber, but Jon is happy to supply whatever hardware you would like so I guess different woods would be no problem, although there maybe extra cost. I already have the pickups I want to use, so Jon said he would supply the specific hardware I want at no extra cost.

Bought this off a Basschatter, Shuker RD, superb............

2035695334_Basses006.thumb.JPG.d207bf74703339270856b6ad3b37c75f.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfJames said:

Bought this off a Basschatter, Shuker RD, superb............

2035695334_Basses006.thumb.JPG.d207bf74703339270856b6ad3b37c75f.jpg

Very nice!

My final conversation with Jon was asking about lead times and prices on a new build... not sure what - I don't need anything. But after seeing first hand how good Jon is, the next bass I buy will be from him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Muzz said:

Oooo, never rush that sort of thing, for as we all know, 'Fender Precision' is an anagram of 'Reinforced Penis'... 😐🙂

Trying to remember if I still have any friends who like doing crosswords.

Added to the mix, Fender Precision doubles the root (10, 5)

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I went on a bass maintenance course, rather than the build course and Jon was brilliant. I took 2 basses, both of which had a full neck off set up guided by Jon as part of the course. He's an absolute gent as well as an amazing guitar builder.

As a result I've shipped out my Fenders in favour of 2 of Jon's creations.

Meet the Shukers.

20210806_105422.jpg

• Like 5

1 minute ago, vinorange said:

I went on a bass maintenance course, rather than the build course and Jon was brilliant. I took 2 basses, both of which had a full neck off set up guided by Jon as part of the course. He's an absolute gent as well as an amazing guitar builder.

Meet the Shukers.

20210806_105422.jpg

That reverse headstock one is particularly nice!

• Like 2

On 06/08/2021 at 15:40, vinorange said:

Meet the Shukers.

20210806_105422.jpg

Tell me more about the setup course. 

27 minutes ago, owen said:

Tell me more about the setup course. 

It’s a full day course.
You take off the neck, tuners, string retainer, mask up the fretboard (learning how to trim the tape without damage), protect the nut, adjust the neck to dead flat, test the flatness, mark up the frets with perm marker and fret level using a levelling bar. Then check your handy work before re-marking the frets with your marker and then proceeding to re-establish the crown of the frets with a fret crowning file (correctly sized fir the frets), then finish the crowning with the fret levelling paper (wrapped in the file). Check your handy work and then lightly polish the frets with kovax finishing paper. Then polish each fret with metal compound (hence the tape to protect the neck). Wipe off polish and check your work. Re-assemble the bass, set the neck tension, re-string, correct the relief, adjust action and adjust pickup height to new set up. X 2 if you want.

After that it’s onto fret removal and replacement on a spare neck, and repeat the above for your new frets if you get time (which you won’t).

Also up for grabs are any questions you can Chuck at Jon like how to repair a neck if the truss is maxed out or finishing / touch up tricks.

Phew. That’s me knackered at the thought of it......

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, vinorange said:

It’s a full day course.
You take off the neck, tuners, string retainer, mask up the fretboard (learning how to trim the tape without damage), protect the nut, adjust the neck to dead flat, test the flatness, mark up the frets with perm marker and fret level using a levelling bar. Then check your handy work before re-marking the frets with your marker and then proceeding to re-establish the crown of the frets with a fret crowning file (correctly sized fir the frets), then finish the crowning with the fret levelling paper (wrapped in the file). Check your handy work and then lightly polish the frets with kovax finishing paper. Then polish each fret with metal compound (hence the tape to protect the neck). Wipe off polish and check your work. Re-assemble the bass, set the neck tension, re-string, correct the relief, adjust action and adjust pickup height to new set up. X 2 if you want.

After that it’s onto fret removal and replacement on a spare neck, and repeat the above for your new frets if you get time (which you won’t).

Also up for grabs are any questions you can Chuck at Jon like how to repair a neck if the truss is maxed out or finishing / touch up tricks.

Phew. That’s me knackered at the thought of it......

Thanks. I am tempted....

• Like 1