Why become a member? ×

Review of Shuker build course

geoham

Hi,
I posted a thread several months ago asking for views of Shuker's bass/guitar building course. I've spend last week doing this and thought I should let you all know how it went.

The short answer - it was great and I'd recommend it to anyone.

I went in to this course with almost zero woodworking experience. I can build a flatpack or put up a shelf, but that's about it. I know my way around basic guitar maintenance – I can do a setup, electronics work or a swap out a bridge for example. But I had never used a bandsaw or router before!

Jon Shuker is extremely knowledgeable and patient. Nothing seems to phase him – he’s a great teacher! He was assisted by Tim, who is also very good. They were both happy to help resolve any shoddy workmanship, ensuring you come away with a quality end result.

It was a very busy week. Within minutes of arriving, we were selecting our body wood – alder or mahogany – swamp ash is impossible to get at the moment. By the end of the first day, I had something resembling a bass body.

The next three days, the focus was mostly the neck – which really is a huge amount of work. Cutting the basic maple shape and rough fingerboard, routing a truss rod channel. Sawing the fret-slots was far less daunting than I thought it’d be, aided by a nice tool that ensures it’s done precisely. Adding dot inlays is quite a fun job – although one ended up marginally off-centre due to my inability to mark a centre point! It definitely felt rewarding to spend time sanding the fingerboard until it was shiny smooth – it seems a much better finish than any bass I’ve owned. Between neck jobs, we were sanding the body, which seemed to be the one job that was never finished!

The final day was mostly fretwork, soldering and assembly – and was definitely the busiest day, we were finally done by about 6pm. It's worth noting that all the hardware is top quality - Seymour Duncan pickups, Gotoh bridge, Schaller tuners. Jon even ordered some straplocks for me, rather than have me get home and replace the normal ones.

The only job we couldn't do was spraying - apparently he's not insured for it. Given the short time, the choices of finish are quite limited anyway - I just opted for clear lacquer as I quite liked the grain.

This is the final result – I’ve very pleased!

Bass.png.eea2da7d0b8d17850c360ac238855193.png

Edited by geoham
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

That’s a beauty @geoham, I think once the world settles down a bit I’ll do one of these  courses, must be very rewarding.

It's very rewarding indeed. There's a few moments where I thought I was making a right mess - like carving the back of the neck - then suddenly it all starts coming together and looking like it should.

Nice review.

LIkewise when I did the course it was very hard work and I regarded myself as fairly capable with woodwork. Seemed to spend ages hand sanding things totally smooth and Jon could see scratches I'd missed that were invisible to the human eye! I must have got in before the spraying ban but he did have quite a heath robinson extraction system which may now be  obselete. I supplied all my own hardware and electronics which took some time soldering.

I'd never used a bandsaw before and almost the first thing he asks you to do is cut templates for the neck and body in plywood which I still have. Eek!

• Like 2

I’ve been thinking about this all week, so thanks for the review. 

A couple of things (which may been addressed elsewhere): 

1. What happens if you don’t want something Fender-ish?
  2. Can you do through-necks? 
  3. What about a maple body? 

I suspect I may need to run this all by Mr Shuker….

Im also terrified of power tools!😂

Edited by 4000

17 minutes ago, 4000 said:

The course I went on - a class of three costing a grand - is restricted to doing a Fender style bass or guitar (Strat, Tele, P or J). One bloke built a strat with a pair of humbuckers, so there is a bit of flexibility. There's also a 1:1 course, which I think costs from £1700 and you can basically do what you like.

He's a very accomodating bloke - definitely worth dropping him a call or email.

George

2 minutes ago, geoham said:

The course I went on - a class of three costing a grand - is restricted to doing a Fender style bass or guitar (Strat, Tele, P or J). One bloke built a strat with a pair of humbuckers, so there is a bit of flexibility. There's also a 1:1 course, which I think costs from £1700 and you can basically do what you like.

George

Thanks for the info George. I definitely don’t want anything Fender-like so I’d obviously need a 1 to 1. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 4000 said:

The power tools are undeniably scary! You use a bandsaw, some routers and couple of sanders if I remember right. My approach was to take my time and go ultra-slow... turns out that causes its own issues, as you end up burning the wood and have to sand out the burn marks.

But Jon and Tim are never far away if you need a bit of help. Just stop if you aren't sure, make sure you don't do something unreversible.

• Thanks 1

Yes, I did the 121 and if you look at his Gallery he doesn't just do Fender type basses himself , so may have a template for something different or you make it yourself. Mine was a Jazz type Bass but 5 string so the template had to be made from scratch. (Note: You use the plywood template to help rout the body and neck)

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

Yes, I did the 121 and if you look at his Gallery he doesn't just do Fender type basses himself , so may have a template for something different or you make it yourself. Mine was a Jazz type Bass but 5 string so the template had to be made from scratch. (Note: You use the plywood template to help rout the body and neck)

Well I’ve got paper templates to make plywood templates from. 😉

4 hours ago, geoham said:

The power tools are undeniably scary! You use a bandsaw, some routers and couple of sanders if I remember right. My approach was to take my time and go ultra-slow... turns out that causes its own issues, as you end up burning the wood and have to sand out the burn marks.

But Jon and Tim are never far away if you need a bit of help. Just stop if you aren't sure, make sure you don't do something unreversible.

I’ve had an issue with power tools ever since using a drill press in metalwork at school. I hadn’t secured the thing being drilled as well as I should’ve and it flew out and missed my left eye by about an inch. 😳 I’m easily discouraged!😁

Im also rather attached to my fingers…..😂

4 hours ago, 4000 said:

I contacted Jon about building an RD style body with a bolt on neck and 3+1 tuners. He said that it would be possible as long as it sticks to the basic Fender build style. I am currently making body and headstock templates at home.

As has been mentioned, Jon runs a 1to1 course where more complex builds can be made.

It's probably best to speak to Jon with regards to different timber, but Jon is happy to supply whatever hardware you would like so I guess different woods would be no problem, although there maybe extra cost. I already have the pickups I want to use, so Jon said he would supply the specific hardware I want at no extra cost.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, geoham said:

George

I'd assume materials are not included in that price as that seems stupidly cheap? 

2 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

I'd assume materials are not included in that price as that seems stupidly cheap? 

A second confirmation that materials are included, and they are high quality.

For me, a two-piece alder body, maple neck, extremely beautiful rosewood fingerboard, Gotoh bridge, Seymour Duncan pickup, Schaller tuners and straplock buttons, GHS flatwound strings.

My mate built a mahogany strat, birdseye maple fingerboard, Seymour Duncan pickups, Gotoh trem and tuners.

I think you’d struggle to buy an instrument with such quality components for a grand.

George

2 hours ago, Muzz said:

I'm giddy enough that my bestest Shuker was made by Jon from lumps of timber that we rummaged through his wood store for, I'd really really like one I built myself from scratch...

Do it… there’s definitely something magical about your own build. First rehearsal with mine tomorrow night and can’t wait!

2 hours ago, geoham said:

Do it… there’s definitely something magical about your own build. First rehearsal with mine tomorrow night and can’t wait!

I imagine that’s some feeling! 

The first thing I’m going to have to do is pass my driving test (learning 40 years too late), then I can start thinking about it seriously. I’d have to get accommodation too, and I’m pretty sure some of the parts I want wouldn’t be included in the price. 😉

6 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Does that headstock say what I think it does? 😬

I suspect it does!

Jon has a machine that can do a plain black or gold vinyl logo. You can leave it blank if you prefer. I hadn’t thought of anything in advance. So I had to think of something quickly. My intention with this is that it looks ‘normal’ at a glance. 

Edited by geoham

3 hours ago, geoham said:

I suspect it does!

Jon has a machine that can do a plain black or gold vinyl logo. You can leave it blank if you prefer. I hadn’t thought of anything in advance. So I had to think of something quickly. My intention with this is that it looks ‘normal’ at a glance. 

Hahaha, love it! Yes at first glance it looks perfectly normal but then on closer inspection reveals a little surprise 😃