Why become a member? ×

Fender P-Bass: Japan, US, CS or Limelight

vincbt

8 hours ago, vincbt said:

Thanks! As it seems I missed out on the JV Precision, I'll look into this more closely. I really like the idea of working on a Fender Japan as platform and they do seem to have done great work

The second hand prices of fender japan basses are soaring. I'd only relic and do irreversible mods to one of the common easy to get 62 reissues, not a PB70US or something like that, personally. 

5 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

The second hand prices of fender japan basses are soaring. I'd only relic and do irreversible mods to one of the common easy to get 62 reissues, not a PB70US or something like that, personally. 

Yep 100% agreed, if I could get hold of a vintage Japanese model I wouldn't touch it, while there are plenty of PB62RI available at any time

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Don't forget the American Specials.

I think the last run was in 2012. They are a bit lighter, have a slimmer neck (front to back) and are really good value.

I’ve owned one briefly - very nice and good value for money

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Mine was CAR red/black/maple

Nice one, I suddenly found myself on GAS for a Bravewood or Limelight in Olympic White over CAR today but I have to look at the American Specials. However I do like the chunkier neck of my P better than the thinner one I have on the J, so that's not necessarily an issue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vincbt said:

Very nice! He’s now doing very light relic finishes I see, from what I heard he used to have a much heavier hand on relics

My limelight is #133 and I picked it up in 2014 (its on the left in this photo) and the relic was “light” then. Don’t think it was hugely different considering I’ve added most of the other little knocks since!

https://instagram.com/p/CRldigggGeJ/

Edited by skej21

I had a 95 Japanese P in shell pink. Really great looker and at the time (about 8 years ago) only cost £350 from a big retailer.
I’m sure it would be over double that today. I put some money into the electronics and it was a really nice precision. Sold it in the end as it fell out of favour, but I’d love it back now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, skej21 said:

My limelight is #133 and I picked it up in 2014 (its on the left in this photo) and the relic was “light” then. Don’t think it was hugely different considering I’ve added most of the other little knocks since!

https://instagram.com/p/CRldigggGeJ/

That’s very very nice! I had read on a few posts here that his light relic wasn’t exactly light but clearly it is based on these two basses. Also very tastefully done…

43 minutes ago, vincbt said:

That’s very very nice! I had read on a few posts here that his light relic wasn’t exactly light but clearly it is based on these two basses. Also very tastefully done…

I asked him to go light on mine, and I was very happy when it arrived.

horiz.thumb.jpg.cd4c4e88f50c0292a90124b96fd4a672.jpg

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vincbt said:

To add to the unrequested photos thread, that’s what I’m adding on to, maybe replacing one and maybe not:

714984BF-DBC0-4AF6-B4F8-9121678BD55F.thumb.jpeg.429fb6234d219d7530abee5a06576948.jpegE81E4003-B178-476A-9B3C-7DDD30F19FE7.thumb.jpeg.72fa179e8b7cfee2be626a45792ba0dc.jpeg38BB97A1-D200-44FC-982E-B9C0A1E81B6A.thumb.jpeg.832ebbe645642512d831e0b24b3c3500.jpeg

Don’t sell the thumb. I had to 9 years ago when I needed money but would now have to pay £1k more than I sold it for to replace it

3 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

Don’t sell the thumb. I had to 9 years ago when I needed money but would now have to pay £1k more than I sold it for to replace it

No definitely, it took me a while to find this one, I love the sound and I can’t get it anywhere else. The only one that could go is the Jazz, but if cash allows I’d like to keep it too

21 minutes ago, vincbt said:

No definitely, it took me a while to find this one, I love the sound and I can’t get it anywhere else. The only one that could go is the Jazz, but if cash allows I’d like to keep it too

The jazz looks cool, what model is it 

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

The jazz looks cool, what model is it 

It’s the 60th anniversary road worn MiM. It’s pretty good for a Mexican, it has the stacked volume/tone knobs which I really like and it’s essentially very close to the signature Flea model except the fretboard is pau ferro rather than rosewood

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vincbt said:

It’s the 60th anniversary road worn MiM. It’s pretty good for a Mexican, it has the stacked volume/tone knobs which I really like and it’s essentially very close to the signature Flea model except the fretboard is pau ferro rather than rosewood

I had the flea and sold it, I should have kept it really, yours is a great colour , is it called firemist silver 

6 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I had the flea and sold it, I should have kept it really, yours is a great colour , is it called firemist silver 

It is, doesn’t look silver at all but it’s a cracking colour and has matching headstock. I got it for a decent price too.

There is a Flea on sale on Facebook at the moment I think, not far from Cheltenham

• Like 1