Why become a member? ×

Fingerboard dots, blocks and splatters

Soledad

OK, so what is the point? I totally accept that a proper Fender has dots (or blocks) on the board - even though they are utterly pointless. But it's a kind of homage to Leo so it's OK.
Side markers good, board markers useless clutter. Although the side markers need to be in the right place, so at the 'fret' position on a fretless.
My Mayones fretless has no board markers, I know Warwick tend not to use them but some makers go bloody silly. I have a side interest in acoustic guitars and was looking at a Larrivee acoustic (quite a high end one). I mean, how do you get a tune out of that. Actually it's kind of OK cos the player can't see it. Total mess mind.

Basically I like blank boards, bit of a minimalist... moan over. 

Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 15.53.19.png

• Like 1

To be honest I don’t mind either way. I loved the dark unmarked ebony board on my now departed Stingray but it wouldn’t have been a deal breaker if it had had dots.

I do like easy to see dots on a darkened stage though, I’ve got Leds on my Status purely for those venues where I know I’ve had trouble in the past.

They’re fine with me, I need the help, though a visible dot suffices, one of the reasons I switched to maple fretboards was better visibility under bright stage lights. Have to say though, on my old Aerodyne Jazz which didn’t have any markers on the fretboard  I didn’t find it that off-putting (though never played any brightly lit stages with that bass).

I much prefer inlays, for both aesthetic and practical purposes. I had a Squire P with side dots that you couldn’t really see very well that was a nightmare on darkened stages, even worse was the front dots also disappeared in certain lights. I had similar problems with an otherwise unmarked Sei I had. It’s maybe not so much a problem if you play the same type of bass all the time (which is one of many reasons why I now do) but when you’re chopping and changing scale lengths, number of frets etc, as I have in the past, I found it helpful. I’m also singing most of the time and do reference my markers so prefer them to be very visible (I miss my LEDs…). 

I do absolutely love fancy inlay work too, as in the pic you provided, although it can be counterproductive as reference. 

Diff'rent strokes and all that I guess.
I'm not a fan of dots in general, the super intricate ones look okay as art pieces if they match the instrument as a whole and are well crafted.

My personal preference is blank like the pure black ebonol board on my Harley Benton followed by contrasted block inlays like black blocks on a light maple board or white blocks on rosewood.

I like the clay dots on vintage fenders but I’m not so keen on the blocks, when I ordered my Sandberg I had the option of dots or blank, I think blank looks better on the ebony, I’ve seen another with markers and I don’t think it looks as nice 

89D28203-A293-4587-8250-24822C93804C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

I like the clay dots on vintage fenders but I’m not so keen on the blocks, when I ordered my Sandberg I had the option of dots or blank, I think blank looks better on the ebony, I’ve seen another with markers and I don’t think it looks as nice 

89D28203-A293-4587-8250-24822C93804C.jpeg

If I could find a "C" Jazz neck with a black ebony fretboard I'd probably buy it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Our guitarist's Jackson Dinky neck inlays - nightmare!

D830595F-0C88-4909-B7C8-FAB4C6D23BE4.jpeg

I wouldn't have problem with this. They are on the lower edge of the fingerboard so unless you play hunched over your guitar you won't see them most of the time. Also the longer "flames" correspond with the typical fret markers.

looking good and using good are sometimes a little different, No Dots can look great, but dots can be handy (see what i did there!) perhaps rosewood dots on mapel, to match the skunk stripe n truss plug would look nice rather than black, and maybe or mahogany or ash on rosewood... dont really like pearl or abalone of fuss, although the little snow flakes on the Harley B Acoustic look nice, but you can see the wood grain underneath so i think they are paint... so may think about taking the 3 of them off above the 12th...

Edited by PaulThePlug

30 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I wouldn't have problem with this. They are on the lower edge of the fingerboard so unless you play hunched over your guitar you won't see them most of the time. Also the longer "flames" correspond with the typical fret markers.

He admits to getting caught out on occasion with it!