Why become a member? ×

Favourite Album Art

SumOne

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Yup - I made that exact same mistake too. When I think back, it was naive, given the rich and bottomless depths of the Art world. I have a lot of affection for Dean but it ain't Carravagio :). .

Oh, absolutely. I mean he can’t even draw, really. 😂

But in my case I was applying for an Illustration course, not Fine Art (which I studied at Foundation). Unfortunately good ole Rog was seen as everything wrong with Illustration and incredibly dated. They were more into stuff like that on the cover of Duke, which I hated (still do, probably because of that). Also, it could be argued that a degree of naivety should be expected from a teenager. 😉

Further experience at Maidstone College of Art, which is where I ended up after pointedly not mentioning Roger in my interview (they held the same views), taught me that there’s nothing an illustration tutor hates more than a successful illustrator. 😂

The only good thing about Maidstone was I got to spend 2 weeks being taught by guest illustrator George Hardie, who was an incredibly nice man. For some reason (awe, probably) I never asked him about his work on so many of my favourite covers. Just think, I could’ve got them all signed! 😉

Edited by 4000

Oddly enough for someone who has done a bit of drawing and stuff occasionally, I never paid the slightest attention to what was on any record cover, other than a glance to identify which record was inside.. Apart from that it was just something that got kicked about on the floor..

Just a Philistine scumbag obviously.. ;)

10 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I guess one question raised by this would be how many of your favourite covers are on albums by your favourite artists? 

Almost all of mine. I guess when done well the album art reflects the music.

Just now, SumOne said:

Almost all of mine. I guess when done well the album art reflects the music.

My thoughts exactly. 

Our most recent cd cover is a photo a photographer friend took which reminded the other writer in the band and myself of Hipgnosis. We’re big fans of much of the same music (Prog!), have the same reference points, and we loved it. Another bandmate, a little younger and not at all interested in ‘70s Prog, hated it; he had no reference for it whatsoever. I kept telling him it reminded me of George Hardie. After about 8 weeks of this he finally admitted he didn’t know who that was. 😂 

Of course we’re in charge so he was outvoted. 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4000 said:

I guess one question raised by this would be how many of your favourite covers are on albums by your favourite artists? 

True in my case but then I'm not familiar with great album covers by bands etc I'm not interested in. Just quickly Google imaged some to remind me. These are the two best covers of albums I don't own

The front of a brownstone, New York, tenement block

The story behind Pink Floyd's Wish You Were Here cover photo | News |  Floydian Slip™ | Syndicated Pink Floyd radio show

• Like 1

No one opted for “Smell the Glove”? Will have to make do with this iconic one from Joy Division then:

E35D4DDF-90DF-4F84-A305-97A7A9300BBF.jpeg
The Smiths artwork was always pretty good but the 7” often better than albums:

21539E6D-4186-4342-9B8F-D98526556C15.jpeg

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 3