Why become a member? ×

Darkglass b7k Ultra

ern500evo

Anyone using one of these in a more low gain setting. Was looking at fitting tone capsule in my Warwick Streamer, but am now wondering if I’d be better off buying one of these as a pre amp for all my basses, and also have the drive circuit available. I don’t really use balls out distortion, but I’ve heard a clip of one on a more low gain setting and it sounded great. Just curious if any of you guys have real world experience with these pedals. At close to £400, I’d like to get some real opinions before pulling the trigger if poss. 

I used a B3K on low gain settings for an album together with a Sadowsky Metro. Worked pretty similar to a Sansamp. A B7K ultra would have been ideal but I didn't have the cash. 

On reflection, it is a bit more scoopy a tone than I would have ideally liked, but I think that there was some additional Amplitube tone shaping I had no control of that resulted in the final mix. Whatever, it works well enough in a live setting.

I would look at the Youtube demoes to see if you whether you prefer the tone of the Vintage Ultra or B7K Ultra drive tones. The actual clean preamp outside of the drive is pretty much identical on both pedals. 

• Like 1

I had a Darkglass M900 amp for a while, and preferred the b3k setting. It took a bit more work to get it to sit right in the live band mix, but I preferred it as a tone. Been mulling it over and wondering if maybe the b7k ultra is a bit overkill for me. I use a EBS TD650 as a live amp, so if I’m thinking of using a b7k as more of a always on, low gain bit of grit, I might be better off just picking up a used b3k. I was attracted to the Ultra because of the ability to switch the drive in and out without bypassing the pedal completely. Most of my gigs for the rest of this year are really just pub and club gigs, so I wouldn’t really be using it as a DI, although a DI pedal is always handy to have on hand in case of amp failure. I do have a EBS Billy Sheehan drive pedal, so I could realistically pair that with a b3k and have one set low gain, always on, and one set full banzai to kick in when needed, which admittedly wouldn’t be too often. Decisions decisions! 

• Like 1

I use the B3K with an EBS Fafner. The parametric mids on EBS amps are really good at dialling in the mids to counteract the natural scoopiness of the B3K drive. 

If you use the B3K as an 'always on' effect, then the EQ on the EBS amp will be pretty much as flexible as the B7K.

• Like 1