Why become a member? ×

Rhythm Stick Live

stewblack

A quick question - what the heck is NWR playing?

Also an observation on how he sets up a holding pattern as ID fails entirely to come in at the correct place at the start of verses. It's the kind of musical flexibility I love to have with the people in my bands. The script is merely the outline plan, everyone must be ready to go with whatever the singer decides to do.

Just now, 4000 said:

If you mean what bass is he playing, it’s his Alembic. If not, I’m not sure what you mean. 

I'm not sure what else I might mean either! Yes I don't recognise it. Used to seeing him with his Blockhead bass. looks really ugly doesn't it? And bulky. Hats off to him managing to play it!

13 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I'm not sure what else I might mean either! Yes I don't recognise it. Used to seeing him with his Blockhead bass. looks really ugly doesn't it? And bulky. Hats off to him managing to play it!

Have you never seen one before?

FWIW, it’s one of my three favourite bass designs, so to me anything but ugly! 😂

32 minutes ago, stewblack said:

A quick question - what the heck is NWR playing?

Also an observation on how he sets up a holding pattern as ID fails entirely to come in at the correct place at the start of verses. It's the kind of musical flexibility I love to have with the people in my bands. The script is merely the outline plan, everyone must be ready to go with whatever the singer decides to do.

At the chorus, around 1'10", when the bassline finally goes up to an A natural – F-G-A-G-F – the right hand of the piano is supposed to be going in contrary motion, but still in the minor – Ab-G-F-G-Ab.

Here the piano is just doubling the sunny F major of the bass and it sounds naff af

• Like 1

I heard Guy Pratt, on his podcast Rockonteurs, talking about how he was asked to dep for Norman Watt Roy, when he was taken ill a few years ago.

He said he had to play this song, at the first gig, with very little prior notice and with no rehearsal beforehand. 

He said he found it incredibly challenging.

I bet it was........  🤣

1 hour ago, gjones said:

I heard Guy Pratt, on his podcast Rockonteurs, talking about how he was asked to dep for Norman Watt Roy, when he was taken ill a few years ago.

He said he had to play this song, at the first gig, with very little prior notice and with no rehearsal beforehand. 

He said he found it incredibly challenging.

I bet it was........  🤣

So no pressure then 😮

Love that track. I’m sure I’m bored of telling people but Norman was a lovely chap when we met. I was doing my first ever gig supporting Wilko Johnson and he was very nice to me as a nervous chap who overplayed for the entire gig…

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

A vamp!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Not a fan I must say and it really doesn't suit him as it looks way too big.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burns-bass said:

Love that track. I’m sure I’m bored of telling people but Norman was a lovely chap when we met. I was doing my first ever gig supporting Wilko Johnson and he was very nice to me as a nervous chap who overplayed for the entire gig…

I had friend who met him and invited Norman to a party, which he accepted. He said he was a lovely chap, he didn’t stay at the party long, but left a big bag of weed for them. I’ve seen him a number of times, the man could sweat for England if it was a competitive event. Total commitment to entertain and a monster player.

• Like 2