Why become a member? ×

Do you have a supportive partner and is it important?

Cat Burrito

My wife has known me as a bass player since day 1 and we've been married for 43 years. We support each others interests. She is a lovely person, a fantastic woman, she drives me mad and apparently I return the favour! Her usual reply when I talk about gear is; "If it's that good you'd better buy it."

• Like 1

On 19/07/2021 at 10:18, neepheid said:

My wife is supportive of my musical endeavours - she has attended gigs, puts up with late dinners twice a week due to rehearsals and when it comes to gear acquisition she has been known to utter the phrase in the guitar shop "if you like it then you should get it".

It makes me sad when I hear of people with unsupportive partners, tales of hiding new basses from them, suspicions of cheating just because they're out playing a gig and other stuff.

It's vital to me to have a supportive partner because frankly I'm a weak, passive person who would probably quit playing to keep the peace.

Pretty much this is me too. 

I don't have any problems with gear around the house and under the beds full of guitar cases.  If she sees me looking at something on eBay - not something I do often these days as I have no intention or need (or money) for more of anything - she'll often say "are you going to buy it?" 

I'm very happy for her to have her stuff around, many antique sewing machines (which I probably bought anyway), lots of wool and unfinished knitting/sewing projects and her general crafting stuff.

Yep, it all seems to work well and after 40ish years together I doubt it will change 🙂

My wife is cool with me playing in bands and buying gear. She will often tell me to buy a bass if I like it. She would come to all our local gigs when I was in a top 40 band but with the acdc tribute, she used to come to the local gigs but wasn`t a big fan of the music Or of some of the departed band members!

The thing is, she isn`t a big music fan, she is a movie buff and I am the complete opposite. When we met I wasn`t in a band but she has always been supportive and has no problem with the amount of time I spend doing music and I have no problem with the amount of money and time she spends on her caravan.

Happy days!

Edited by jezzaboy

I do have a supportive wife but I would rather that she didn't come to gigs has I know the music isn't her cup of tea and usually, that makes it not enjoyable...

I have slowed down my gigging in recent years and started focusing on travelling has I get more enjoyment out of that nowadays.