Jump to content

Antoria P Bass: Pickup rewind or replace?


Bassfingers
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello

I picked up this Antoria P Bass a while ago. Having tinkered around a bit it is now set up nicely. Great slim neck that plays really well. For a budget P Bass clone I'm impressed. I'll probably upgrade the tuners at some point but my main issue is the pickup.

I'm assuming its a Maxon pickup (?) but it's not sounding great. Age may have got the better of it.  I thought I would tap in to the formidable Hive brain of Basschat for some advice. 

Would it be worth getting a rewind / repot of the pickup, or could anyone suggest a quality replacement that wouldn't entail routing out the pickup cavity? If I did go down the replacement route, I would need something the same size as the original (approx 7cms X 3cms). I will be upgrading the wiring harness too. 

Basically any advice gratefully received. 

Thanks in advance 😊 

 

Abass.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_7959.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wiring harness... @KiOgon is ya man on here... I have just ordered one for a P Build... Recommend ya drop him a line...Lots of happy Basschaters have his looms...

Pickup... The 'bay shows a '1PC Bass Guitar Pickup for Bass Guitar Replacement Accessory Parts'... anything like the dimensions?.. could get ya going for a tenner!.. Or maybe squeeze something 'MusicMan-esq' in if the rout under the plate allows...

Edited by PaulThePlug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Bassfingers said:

I will be upgrading the wiring harness too. 

Another vote here for a harness/ loom from @KiOgon , I’ve had quite a few and they are great, also worth mentioning that they are solderless, and really easy to fit, maybe try the loom first, you never know, the pickup might work ok , nice bass btw 👍

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Another vote here for a harness/ loom from @KiOgon , I’ve had quite a few and they are great, also worth mentioning that they are solderless, and really easy to fit, maybe try the loom first, you never know, the pickup might work ok , nice bass btw 👍

Thanks RB 😊 Yes it looks and feels great - Just need to fix the sound!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Bassfingers said:

Thanks RB 😊 Yes it looks and feels great - Just need to fix the sound!

It looks really nice , definitely worth sorting out , I don’t think it will be much expense either 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same problem with an early 70s MIJ Jazz a while ago. Both 8-pole Maxons were dead when I got it, but I found these, which looked like they would fit.

https://reverb.com/item/811301-artec-mini-humbucker-violin-bass-bridge-pickup-chrome

These are intended for Hofner type violin basses, so will have narrower pole spacing than a Precision - but dimensions are pretty much spot-on for a drop-in replacement. Also they're 4-wire 'buckers so there are some potential wiring options available.

As it turned out, I managed to get a working set of Maxons for my Jazz, so can't tell you how they sound. Also this was 10 or so years ago & I don't know how available they are now.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bassassin said:

I had the same problem with an early 70s MIJ Jazz a while ago. Both 8-pole Maxons were dead when I got it, but I found these, which looked like they would fit.

https://reverb.com/item/811301-artec-mini-humbucker-violin-bass-bridge-pickup-chrome

These are intended for Hofner type violin basses, so will have narrower pole spacing than a Precision - but dimensions are pretty much spot-on for a drop-in replacement. Also they're 4-wire 'buckers so there are some potential wiring options available.

As it turned out, I managed to get a working set of Maxons for my Jazz, so can't tell you how they sound. Also this was 10 or so years ago & I don't know how available they are now.

Thanks for this Bassassin - I'll take a look. Much appreciated. 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2021 at 20:11, PaulThePlug said:

Wiring harness... @KiOgon is ya man on here... I have just ordered one for a P Build... Recommend ya drop him a line...Lots of happy Basschaters have his looms...

I've now installed a KiOgon loom - went in nice and easy and I really liked the solderless option. I guess I am now one of those "Happy Basschatters" that are enjoying KiOgon's handiwork. I would join you in recommending him. Great to deal with and really quick response. I would copy him in if I could work out how todo the "@" function! 

 

Happy days! my crackly pots and dodgy jack are a thing of the past! 

 

Thanks to everyone for their sage advice. ☺️

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just @ then start typing the name (no space after the @ and a menu starts pulling up names... there is also a 'feedback for KiOgon' and most others to add some blah blah...

 

I had to ar$e about counter boreing the cavity with a 20mm then a 32mm, to clear the tags, 5mm deep for the length of the pot shafts  - body issue, not KiOgon's Loom...

CounerBore.jpg

Edited by PaulThePlug
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

just @ then start typing the name (no space after the @ and a menu starts pulling up names... there is also a 'feedback for KiOgon' and most others to add some blah blah...

 

I had to ar$e about counter boreing the cavity with a 20mm then a 32mm, to clear the tags, 5mm deep for the length of the pot shafts  - body issue, not KiOgon's Loom...

Thanks Paul - I knew it would be straightforward. It's been a long hot week! 

 

Yes I had to widen the holes on my pickguard to get the new pots in but it was no bother and well worth it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...