Why become a member? ×

Short scale fretless options

dannybuoy

I am hankering after a Rob Allen Mouse, I'm interested in any alternatives but 30" scale fretlesses seem hard to come by. Thomann make a fretless Hofner Beatle bass... and I haven't found much else available off the shelf!

Any other models I may have missed, or any UK luthiers out there building anything similar to the Mouse?

AC Guitars would make you a fantastic 30" fretless bass. Not quite the same as a Mouse but they'll do thick chambered bodies. They would always be my first recommendation.

Shuker also so a bass similar to th the Rob Allen basses, not sure if they've ever done a 30" scale one though.

Eude

20 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

I am hankering after a Rob Allen Mouse, I'm interested in any alternatives but 30" scale fretlesses seem hard to come by. Thomann make a fretless Hofner Beatle bass... and I haven't found much else available off the shelf!

Any other models I may have missed, or any UK luthiers out there building anything similar to the Mouse?

You and me both.

Our own @Jabba_the_gut is the guy, but I don't whether he's taking on new commissions these days. What's the word, Jez?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I had a fretless RA Mouse and was convinced I'd found the perfect short scale fretless, until I played @wrinkleygit's SS fretless built by our own @Jabba_the_gut. So convinced by that bass was I that I've sold the Rob Allen and if you pop over here...

..you can see the fretless (and fretted) basses he is working on for me. Never in life did I think I'd find a bass better than the RA but the Jabba built fretless beat it, only just, but it was discernibly better. Keep an eye on the thread and see what you think.

Edited by Frank Blank
  • Like 2

I did look up ACG, Chowny and Marusczcyk, but didn't see anything on offer similar to the Mouse. I was really after more of a mini upright bass sound, semi hollow + piezo. Basically my Godin A4 but smaller!

I will follow that build thread to see where it goes!

2 minutes ago, PlungerModerno said:

Godin-A4-Fretless-Bass-1999-guitar-shop-

would a shorter neck, custom or converted if you could find something suitable, be out of the question, if you really like the A4 as a long scale?

Not out of the question, but a smaller lighter body would be preferable at the same time.

I guess a lot of luthiers could adapt an A4 into smaller A4 style bass, but I think you might be better off going fully custom if you're going to do major neck & body work / have a big body shave and a new neck made.

I think the key is the body, since it's a pretty typical fender style neck, I can't think of a maker that does a mini A4 style or similar body. 

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

I did look up ACG, Chowny and Marusczcyk, but didn't see anything on offer similar to the Mouse. I was really after more of a mini upright bass sound, semi hollow + piezo. Basically my Godin A4 but smaller!

I will follow that build thread to see where it goes!

I made exactly that move. Great as the Godins are they are terribly heavy and effing long, playing a Rob Allen was like taking a holiday.

1 hour ago, skelf said:

If it is of any interest I have been working on a new model specifically for this type of thing. I will be starting the prototype fairly soon. 

alan

Ooh, ooh. Colour me excited. Having relocated to Perthshire from Surrey last year means you’re dangerously close. Any rough details/drawings you might tease us with?

So as promised some progress on the model I mentioned. Due to the heat an inability to sleep I found the time to get some work done on the prototype.

This is for a very specific setup which none of my current line up covers. So what we are looking at here is a small bodied short scale (30.5) heavily chambered piezo only bass. Primarily done as a fretless but would be possible as a fretted bass as well.

Piezo will feed an East P-Retro which has been modified in order for the passive element to work with the piezo. Pleased with the results so far but very early days.

Templates and the first actual body in Swamp Ash.

51328899508_1637f570f4_b.jpg

51329413524_796fdf29e8_b.jpg

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...