Why become a member? ×

Cab Build Help?

Triumph_Rock

Hi guys,

I am looking to build my own bass cab. I was thinking to use a Celestion 15" BN15-400X. I am struggling with coming up with a design. I wish to use the cab with a 5 string bass guitar. I have tried to use WinISD but struggle with it. I am aware of BFM website and designs, but I was wishing to use Celestion over Eminence. So its a case of either I need to somehow figure out how to adjust Bill's design for the different driver or go back to the drawing board completely. I was hoping for it to have a horn, or tweeter.

Any help very much appreciated. Whether thats pointing me to different software to WinISD or a great online learning resource, or even a design incorporating a Celestron 15" bass driver and tweeter or horn. 

I wouldn't use the BN15-400X. The high Qes will give boomy midbass response and weak lows, the 4mm xmax limits usable power to 200w. You can certainly use a Celestion driver in my designs, but as is the case with any driver brand the T/S specs have to be compatible. One of the prime rules of speaker design is don't start with the driver. Start with the intended box size and frequency response, then choose a driver that works in it.

13 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

I wouldn't use the BN15-400X. The high Qes will give boomy midbass response and weak lows, the 4mm xmax limits usable power to 200w. You can certainly use a Celestion driver in my designs, but as is the case with any driver brand the T/S specs have to be compatible. One of the prime rules of speaker design is don't start with the driver. Start with the intended box size and frequency response, then choose a driver that works in it.

Thanks for the input Bill.

That's why I tried to figure out how to use WinISD, to find a cab and driver combination that works well.

That's also why I haven't purchased your plans already as your cabs suit Eminence drivers and Celestion aren't Eminence. I'm aware about them needing to match up. 

I guess I didn't make that clear enough in my original post.

The frequency response needs to be low enough for a 5 string so around 38-40 Hertz. That's why I picked the BN15-400X, as it states frequency response down to 38 Hertz.

The box size isn't such a concern, as long as it isn't huge.

1 hour ago, Triumph_Rock said:

That's also why I haven't purchased your plans already as your cabs suit Eminence drivers and Celestion aren't Eminence. .

My cabs suit drivers that have specs that fall within the range the cabs were designed to work with, not a brand. Drivers that have those specs are made by at least 20 manufacturers, Celestion among them. I use and recommend Eminence because most of my customers are in the US, and Eminence is by far the best selling and most readily available driver in the US, and the best priced as well, being assembled in the US.

The frequency response needs to be low enough for a 5 string so around 38-40 Hertz. That's why I picked the BN15-400X, as it states frequency response down to 38 Hertz.

In a practical size 2.5 cu ft cab sensitivity at 38Hz is an unusable 82dB. To get a useful sensitivity,  say 90dB at 38Hz, would require an 8 cu ft cab.

• Like 1

The O15 and O15TB are the same speaker, different shape. Ideal T/S specs with a +/- 10% tolerance for the woofer are Fs 40Hz, Qes 0.4, Qms 7.0, Vas 160L, Xmax 8mm or more. The midrange is a 6.5 inch closed back, maximum Fs 400Hz, the HF driver is a 1" throat horn loaded, maximum Fs  2.5kHz.

The Pulse 15 is probably the best Celestion bass guitar 15. The BN-400X is underdamped. This will boost the frequency response around 80Hz in a normal sized bass cab, making the cab appear to have oodles of bottom end. In practice it's  not conducive to a great bass sound IMO.

Put the Pulse 15 in a cabinet with an internal volume of 100 litres. Fit two 100mm ports, 112mm long or (better) a 150mm port of the same length. That will tune the cab to 45Hz, which should be fine for 5-string bass.

Edited by stevie