Why become a member? ×

Budget £120 (new) 6x10 cab!

warwickhunt

The 15” cab could be worth a shot in the dark at £60 - if this is somewhere near accurate:

• Relatively lightweight (approx 12kg)

Though, I’d hazard a guess that it’s a typo. 

Edited by M@23
  • Like 1

I spoke on the phone today with PMT. Asked them about the actually weight of the BLS 610 cab. The weight on the website is correct. They told me it is so heavy that the only courier service they could use is pallet freight. Don't have many left in stock, the store that had one in stock didn't have a tape measure, so can't give dimensions.

5 minutes ago, PaulThePlug said:

^ was the BLS115 1x15" @ £60 any good for ya needs, following ya bass cab post?

Not really, I think it would be a step back compared to my Ashdown ABM Compact 115.

The BLS115 doesn't have a tweeter and is only 300w. 

Have a look at the Albion ABH800 Monster that I got alarmingly cheap on eBay. It's rather lighter than the Trace but took a while to get Ok tones on it with the multiplicity of adjustment available.

Seems a pretty well made thing and still does 650 watts on the 8ohm setting. Valve preamp great and compressor works when gently utilised. Seems a pity that Mr Grindrod's designs were virtually stillborn. I don't know if he's still active.

Damnit I can't seem to even post a link, much less a photo 😥😥😥

On 18/07/2021 at 16:48, warwickhunt said:

I bought this, delivered on friday, paired with a Behringer ultra bass BX2000H head, played it yesterday and WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW, its fabulous, the best I've ever heard. They were designed by the Legendary Steve Grindrod who was with Vox etc before. They just never caught on, but they had good reviews. Wharfedale sold some of them in their own name after the project folded with Albion.  You won't regret getting one of these, or any of the other ones on offer in fact

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/07/2021 at 22:55, Triumph_Rock said:

I spoke on the phone today with PMT. Asked them about the actually weight of the BLS 610 cab. The weight on the website is correct. They told me it is so heavy that the only courier service they could use is pallet freight. Don't have many left in stock, the store that had one in stock didn't have a tape measure, so can't give dimensions.

oh yeah it is HEAVY, but it has wheels at the back in a sort of tilt back angle which made it easy. I'm very lightweight myself but I moved it fine once it was out the box

On 19/07/2021 at 04:10, Newfoundfreedom said:

Indeed.

The Wharfdales and Albion were made (or at least designed) by the same person (Steve Grindrod). Although Albion were previously a much more boutique amp. The one above looks like it's something cobbled together from leftovers. 

Could be a bargain though if it's anything like the Wharfdales. I still have mine (2x10 + 1x15) as my primary cabs. They were an absolute steal, they're still going strong after about 2 years and they still sound great. 

These wharfedales are the albion ones rebranded after albion didn't catch on. just a change of plate like you said

Yep, there's a market for these all right: a loooong time ago, when I was all enthusiasm and my back wasn't made of glass, I was seriously considering four (yup, four) Peavey 118s that had just come into A1 in a trade deal and were going dirt cheap. They were the size (and weight) of washing machines, but I didn't care; 'The backline, man; think how good they'll look onstage!...'  The only reason I didn't get them was an Ampeg fridge (and an old one; no handles or tiltback or wheels; just the rectangular box) came up at the same time...job done... 😕🙂

On 02/08/2021 at 13:44, sirpinno said:

oh yeah it is HEAVY, but it has wheels at the back in a sort of tilt back angle which made it easy. I'm very lightweight myself but I moved it fine once it was out the box

So how easy do you think it would be to get BLS 610 in and out of a car?

12 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

So how easy do you think it would be to get BLS 610 in and out of a car?

I don't think it's something a guy can do easily, it won't fit in the boot of most cars either without you putting some marks on it. Maybe I'm overstating it a bit, I'll take a short video of it for you at some point so you can see. Sound wise though I genuinely think this can compete with most cabs out there, even without using the control console for the horn (which is the extra bit), it's crazy.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 26/09/2021 at 17:36, Happy Jack said:

It's like some don't think before they buy gear lol