Why become a member? ×

Am I Broken

stewblack

4 hours ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

Amen. I've had a number of sound checks where the Bass in particular sounds awful, thin and quiet.

It's a totally different story when there are people in the room. 

Our engineer always refers to the audience as ‘meat baffles’......

• Haha 5

At last gig I played in June, the engineer actually asked me to turn up (gasp!).

He didn't DI my bass, he actually recorded me with a mic in front of the amp.

He recorded the gig for the festival we we playing, as they were streaming the gig online.

My bass (my MIJ Precision through a Markbass CMD 121) sounded absolutely fantastic in the video - loud and fat and punchy.

I later found out he is a bass player himself.

You don't find engineers like that every day.

I thought about kidnapping him and keeping him in my basement.

Trouble is, I don't have a basement :(

This is him https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevie-cossar-b04347106

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, gjones said:

At last gig I played in June, the engineer actually asked me to turn up (gasp!).

He didn't DI my bass, he actually recorded me with a mic in front of the amp.

He recorded the gig for the festival we we playing, as they were streaming the gig online.

My bass (my MIJ Precision through a Markbass CMD 121) sounded absolutely fantastic in the video - loud and fat and punchy.

I later found out he is a bass player himself.

You don't find engineers like that every day.

I thought about kidnapping him and keeping him in my basement.

Trouble is, I don't have a basement :(

This is him https://uk.linkedin.com/in/stevie-cossar-b04347106

I have two weeks holiday coming up and a Spear and Jackson number 5 with a gilt handle shovel itching to dig a basement 😂

Edited by itsmedunc
  • Haha 1

I gig very, very infrequently, the last one i did was a while ago for a mate’s 40th. He put together a 14 piece samba band and hired a decent venue in Southampton. I got my Ampeg SVT serviced, hooked up the 8 x 10 cab and used my ‘75 P bass with flat wounds. Sounded absolutely bloody gorgeous, even the sound guy was smiling in the sound check and the brass players were enjoying it too. I kept expecting someone to tell me to turn it down but it never happened. Went to bed on a high that night after a mate of mine, whose opinion I value, said afterwards the bass sounded superb. Woke up the next morning in a cold sweat thinking, “he never actually complimented my playing though…” 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mowf said:

I gig very, very infrequently, the last one i did was a while ago for a mate’s 40th. He put together a 14 piece samba band and hired a decent venue in Southampton. I got my Ampeg SVT serviced, hooked up the 8 x 10 cab and used my ‘75 P bass with flat wounds. Sounded absolutely bloody gorgeous, even the sound guy was smiling in the sound check and the brass players were enjoying it too. I kept expecting someone to tell me to turn it down but it never happened. Went to bed on a high that night after a mate of mine, whose opinion I value, said afterwards the bass sounded superb. Woke up the next morning in a cold sweat thinking, “he never actually complimented my playing though…” 

Yes....I get that compliment from other bass players quite a lot too 😆

• Like 1

A friend of mine sometimes does sound for big arena  gigs etc. He used to be a session bass player. He’s always saying that bass is tricky to do well, rooms can make or break it, and the audience makes a big difference

Edited by zbd1960

I have had this situation happen so many times. As I am the singer I had to rely on my mate, the guitarist, to go out front and let me know what it sounded like. Many times I had a decent enough break from singing to jump out quickly and have a listen. As long as the guitar was blasting out nice and clear he was happy. Sod the overall sound. He once told me bass should be felt rather than heard.

• 2 weeks later...

As a result of all this I'm not bothering to hump my gorgeous Ampeg Barefaced rig for this band any more.

If they want the bass to sound like a wasp in a tupperware I'll just put it through the PA and get a Backbeat.

9 hours ago, Maude said:

So you clubbed him round the head with one. 

Believe me, he came close many times. When we grew to a four then five piece band the others used to call us the married couple because of the arguments. He was still my mate though.

I have watched my mate, when told to turn his guitar down, go up to the amp, grip the knob and do absolutely nothing. I've said you didn't even move that! To which he would just smile. It worked for the whole band when we were playing in some bars and they would say turn down. We would give them a thumbs up and play a quieter song.

On 17/07/2021 at 17:01, stewblack said:

So am I broken? Why can't I be trusted to know what a good bass sound is? It seems I lack all objectivity when it comes to my own sound.

I apologize already in advance but I just could not resist, "cause I'm broken when I'm open" 😎

Ok, I am out of here 😁

• Like 1
  • Sad 1