Why become a member? ×

Warwick preamp mod.

B.Flat

Hello all.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to wire a passive tone control, or maybe a Stellartone Tonestyler,  to a Warwick (MEC I think) two band preamp,, from a Corvette.

I need this to be before the active controls and hopefully work in both active and passive modes.

If the answer is yes, and wiring advice is offered, needs to be at "Idiots Guide" level !

Don't see any reason why you can't wire a passive tone control . The ones I am aware of, East/ACG/Sadowsky, just use the same circuit Fender use for P Bass/ J Bass wired across the input to the pre-amp.

If you have a 2 pickup installation, you'll need a dual pot as it needs a circuit for each pickup. I am not familiar with the MEC pre-amp and if it has screw connections. All the ones I am familiar with do, so it's a very simple retro fit.

I'll try and sort a simple diagram out.

Could you please share some light why the tone has to be before the active circuitry?

Here is a short electronics description of most basses:

pickup(s) - blend (or another vol) - vol - tone - output

The blend/vol is not needed in a one pickup bass. Tone can be "active" or "passive". Some instruments have even "active" mixing (blend, vol), but it is relatively rare solution.

Here you go. I found an actual Warwick diagram of how they install a passive tone but it uses 2 pats so I have added the circuit you need to make it a single control for both pickups. Hope it makes sense.1941888612_WarwickPassiveTone2.thumb.jpg.cbd6fd1c2a44af6e7d03bbd915a63749.jpg

I believe you can actually buy the East version direct from John. It comes complete with the dual pot, capacitors and the wires so you just need to solder to your blend pot.

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

I need to fill you in a bit more.

I previously owned an IBANEZ RS924 bbass from 1980. I wanted to use a Stellartone  Tonestyler; I contacted dan at  Stellartone and he said that the unit would only work corectly if ll the active circuitry was south of the Tonestyler; Well I set it up and , for me it was perfect sonically. I had an active/passive switch, series/parallel switches for two DiMarzio pu's   (P & J) I had fitted  plus the two band  bass/treble cut and boost. The Tonestyler worked  fantastically well in  both  passive and active modes.

Only problem was physical.the bass was too heavy for my elderly shoulders.

So now I have a vintage  WARWICK Fortress One, active, which I love, and I want to re-create the great set-up I had on the IBANEZ .

Ergo I have a DiMarzio DP 126 set,, P/J, and have aquired  a MEC three-pot preamp, which gives the same set-up as the original 4  pot set-up,  but leaves me with an extra mounting  hole for the Tonestyler.

So now I need to know how to wire it so that all the active circuitry is south of the  Stellartone, as on the Ibanez.

I previously had a very clear circuit diagraùm for the IBANEZ, which Dan helped me to navigate, but I am a bit lost to know what to do with the WARWICK, if indeed it is possible to wire it as the IBANEZ.

A bit long-winded but I hope clear!