Why become a member? ×

Good value used tube amps

SteveXFR

Here I go again 🤪 I promise I don’t work for Music Tribe Bugera but … I cannot see past the Veyron BV1001T. It’s an awesome hybrid tube amp although, tube preamp only. It works perfectly and sounds awesome/monstrous with the following cabs: Ashdown MAG & ABM 410, Hartke AK410 & HDx12, Ampeg B410 & SVT 410 plus my TC Bc208. I love it and probably will buy another just in case. It’s a pocket powerhouse! Well, a laptop case powerhouse. I own an Ampeg PF50t, 3pro, and TC BH250 but use the Veyron all the time. 🥰 

Thomann doing them for around £270 + £8 postage but Music Tribe on eBay have refurbished ones for £200.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/bugera_bv1001t_veyron_bass_head.htm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254992189880?epid=806656779&hash=item3b5eb809b8:g:YMAAAOSw3fxgrOcs

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

With low tuned guitars the OP would probably better inverting that EQ setting (within reason! Nothing too extreme!). 

The biggest mistake anyone in a band can make is to EQ solo, because you'll only sound good solo. 

It sounds good alongside the rhythm guitar and drums. Haven't had chance to try it out with the lead as well. 

I'm just thinking it might change quite a bit with my new Stingray Ray35 which has a lot more balls than my SUB5 at the bottom end. 

10 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

That is some EXTREME EQ!

To amplify something like that cleanly you will need some serious range and power handling from your cabs, regardless of the amp you use to produce the signal.

The better solution is to rethink the sound you are making, possibly across all the instruments rather than just the bass. Harmonics are much more important than fundamentals in good audible (and reproducible) bass tone, and your guitarist has removed the most important frequencies while boosting the really power hungry, speaker flapping ones. As downunderwonder says, 30hz can be cut right back, and 40hz reduced to free up lots more headroom. For a sense of ultra deep lows you could head up an octave or so and use the 60 and 100hz bands for the 'bottom'. Rather than boosting them, cutting above them at 180 and 340 will clear space, as it were, to hear those first harmonics as the deep bass without the overwhelming subs screwing everything up from below. The severe cuts above 10khz aren't a bad idea in a mix, but any other equalization is better made in the 3-6db range, aside from slamming the 30hz slider down 15db, too.

And that advice would apply without the shape switched in. With all due respect to your guitarist, when it comes to shaping a bass sound, he has no idea what he's playing at, and has caused your amp to fart out with his fiddling.

Hard to say without hearing, but I would hazard a guess that he is trying push the bass below the lows of the guitars, but shoving it so far that the amp/cab can't cope. If that is the case, it's usually a sign that the guitars need their low end sorting out- not always an easy discussion to have, but physics and psychoacoustics say that it's only reasonable. As with bass, the harmonics are more important than the fundamentals for a good guitar tone which doesn't mess up the mix.

I would never let a guitarist get near my gear nor EQ!!! 🤬😂

Edited by andy67
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

. I'd prefer a MOSFET to class D power section just because it's proper components that can be repaired if it dies. 

I think you'll find that most Class D amplifiers use MOSFets as their output devices. 

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, andy67 said:

Here I go again 🤪 I promise I don’t work for Music Tribe Bugera but … I cannot see past the Veyron BV1001T. It’s an awesome hybrid tube amp although, tube preamp only. It works perfectly and sounds awesome/monstrous with the following cabs: Ashdown MAG & ABM 410, Hartke AK410 & HDx12, Ampeg B410 & SVT 410 plus my TC Bc208. I love it and probably will buy another just in case. It’s a pocket powerhouse! Well, a laptop case powerhouse. I own an Ampeg PF50t, 3pro, and TC BH250 but use the Veyron all the time. 🥰 

Thomann doing them for around £270 + £8 postage but Music Tribe on eBay have refurbished ones for £200.

https://m.thomann.de/gb/bugera_bv1001t_veyron_bass_head.htm

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254992189880?epid=806656779&hash=item3b5eb809b8:g:YMAAAOSw3fxgrOcs

2000 Watts? Wot??? 

• Haha 1

A bit of research has show up that the Trace 1x15 cab I'm using is really inefficient, plus 30 years use won't have helped. That could be contributing to my problems. I think I'll try putting in a modern Celestion Pulse 15. It should be a straight swap and use a lot less power.

1 hour ago, Witch Hazel said:

Bugera is a brand name of Behringer (like TC) who have a history of lying about their amp power.  according to this thread it's more like 500-800W.

It is 👍 but it doesn’t take away from the fact that it is an awesome hybrid amplifier 🥰

5 minutes ago, andy67 said:

It is 👍 but it doesn’t take away from the fact that it is an awesome hybrid amplifier 🥰

for sure, i've had a couple of Behringer products and never had any complaints about the sound.  and even that TC amp that caused all the fuss a few years back was apparently a pretty good amp.  i just wish they'd market them on their merits and not tell fibs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

A bit of research has show up that the Trace 1x15 cab I'm using is really inefficient, plus 30 years use won't have helped. That could be contributing to my problems. I think I'll try putting in a modern Celestion Pulse 15. It should be a straight swap and use a lot less power.

Seriously: get a second hand Barefaced BB2 Gen 3. Or if you want to make the audience soil themselves, a Twin. You’re done. Your Trace head is *proper* watts. I’ve gigged my BB2 with a TC 250 head and no problem keeping up with the drummer. Get a modern hyper-engineered cab instead of a new head would be my vote. 

Edited by moley6knipe
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Excuse my ignorance but as a bedroom / small jam player, what real world difference would I notice with a hybrid amp and a p bass ? Headphones at home , small cab for jam

If you’re talking about a tube hybrid? You’ll notice 👍

4 minutes ago, andy67 said:

If you’re talking about a tube hybrid? You’ll notice 👍

Yes, I was 

even with headphones ?  Is it the done thing to swap out the valves like we do pickups ?

Edited by Geek99

5 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Yes, I was 

even with headphones ?  Is it the done thing to swap out the valves like we do pickups ?

Depends entirely on your own preferences regarding tubes. I like both JJ an EH tubes but do not feel the need to change the tubes in the Veyron.

I've also got a trace SMX 12 280 watt head as well, I'd say i definitely play in a loud band. We're not talking doom or anything like that, but two guitars, acoustic guitar, loud drummer, sax and flute/violin plus stinky poo load of pedals used by everyone. Practice is usually very loud, the trace goes through a barefaced two10 or maybe at a gig a homemade 600 watt 2x12. Ive never had an issue with the head not being heard or farting out.

12 minutes ago, buff said:

I've also got a trace SMX 12 280 watt head as well, I'd say i definitely play in a loud band. We're not talking doom or anything like that, but two guitars, acoustic guitar, loud drummer, sax and flute/violin plus stinky poo load of pedals used by everyone. Practice is usually very loud, the trace goes through a barefaced two10 or maybe at a gig a homemade 600 watt 2x12. Ive never had an issue with the head not being heard or farting out.

I'm definitely thinking the problem is my Trace 1x15. I've done some research and it seems they're really inefficient speakers plus it's over 30 years old. I'm going to try a modern Celestion speaker in that cab to hopefully draw less power.

6 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I'm definitely thinking the problem is my Trace 1x15. I've done some research and it seems they're really inefficient speakers plus it's over 30 years old. I'm going to try a modern Celestion speaker in that cab to hopefully draw less power.

Also being a very late in the game convert to Trace stuff I'd say Trace watts are a real head fu*k, but easy as loud as anyone else's 500 watts.

Edited by buff
left out word

12 minutes ago, buff said:

Also being a very late in the game convert to Trace stuff I'd say Trace watts are a real head fu*k, but easy as loud as anyone else's 500 watts.

Mine isn't as loud as my Orange 500 watt head. I'm not sure what effect the different impedance has on that though.