Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SB-75

Mada Music

I've recently came into possession one of the oldest and rarest bass I've ever played.

Yamaha SB-75.

This was a precursor to the Super Bass Range and was made between 1973-75

Back in the 1970s this was the most expensive bass Yamaha made, and cost 75,000 Yen, which at the time was around $700.

The styling, build quality and materials are incredible, and it sounds like a dark blend of a jazz and p bass, very good for harmonics, deep lows, mids and very clear treble tones.

Any love for this old Japanese girl?

IMG_20210705_093338.jpg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

And the Pulser 400 while they're at it

Well…thatd just be another p in a world of p’s…

This would be an absolute hoot as a reissue. As long as they didn’t cop out and just shove generic j pickup units in it

16 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

thatd just be another p in a world of p’s

I resented having to buy something that hadn't come from a Yamaha factory when I bought my P, and my left hand is quite insistent about the difference.

But anyway, Yamaha don't seem a very reissue-y kind of company, are they? They always seem to be marching onward with healthy vigour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyTravis said:

Well…thatd just be another p in a world of p’s…

This would be an absolute hoot as a reissue. As long as they didn’t cop out and just shove generic j pickup units in it

They are far from generic pups,there is a dedicated pole for each string, hand wound, alnico magnets brass back plates. Fender dream of making pups this good.

• Like 2

From my understanding, Yamaha made the Solid Bass 75 and 55 for two years, seems how well they were received and then launched the Super Bass line..the numbers indicate prices in Yen. The 75 had higher quality materials ie. Abalone inlays, Ebony fret board, quarter sawn neck and a Matoh ( related to Maghogany) body.

The 75 cost too much to make and buy  so they kept the dimensions the same for the SB500s etc, but did away with fancy materials etc. They also sculpted the headstock a bit to move away from the shovel head look, which I actually find quite cool. 

This bass has twice as much tone and sustain as a USA Fender.

I love it ! Plus it came with the original case 

Edited by Mada Music
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

7 hours ago, Mada Music said:

They are far from generic pups,there is a dedicated pole for each string, hand wound, alnico magnets brass back plates. Fender dream of making pups this good.

Hence Andy's point. A reissue without the magical pickups would be just another j in a world of j's.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I resented having to buy something that hadn't come from a Yamaha factory when I bought my P, and my left hand is quite insistent about the difference.

But anyway, Yamaha don't seem a very reissue-y kind of company, are they? They always seem to be marching onward with healthy vigour.

Not unheard-of though:

sbvfull1200.thumb.jpg.99db9217fe1c8e11135976fcaa99c868.jpg

And they resisted the temptation of sticking standard J pups in the SBV reissues - best description for this is Jazz on steroids, full, dark, punchy tone even compared to the 70s DiMarzio Model Js in my no. 1 Jazz. This is one of my favourite recording basses.

SB75s do come up very occasionally & I've always had a bit of GAS for them - great-looking basses and by all accounts, typical excellent Yammy quality.

• Like 2

Interestingly, as used by a certain Mr Illsley on the first ever gig by Dire Straits (Deptford Crossfields festival, the whole shebang being powered by an extension cable out of somebody's apartment window).,

Mind you, John may just have borrowed it for the day.

Apologies for the quality of the photo, they didn't have cameras back then - this is someone's memory directly printed onto a Kraft cheese slice.

74A15504-1300-4022-886E-4B858BCF507E.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...