Why become a member? ×

Flight case build

oldslapper

I made a couple of guitar cases in the 70s and cases for all the synths and other high-tech equipment I was gigging in the 80s. 

IME the biggest problem was the weight vs the level of protection for the equipment. Anything that provided a decent amount of protection weighed almost as much as the instrument it was designed to fit - in the case of one of the guitars a bit more! The other trade off was between having something tailor-made for the contents and the fact that no matter how much time and effort I put into a case it was never as professional looking as the commercially available ones.

The main advantage to having home-made cases for the synths and high-tech stuff was that we could brightly colour-code them, which:

1. Made it relatively difficult for someone to walk off un-noticed with one of our cases.

2. Meant we could arrange the load in so that the right gear went to the right place on stage - all the yellow cases went one side and the red cases went the other - very useful when several of the cases were identical in size.

3. Some of the cases doubled as equipment stands when emptied and made the stage set a bit more interesting looking.

Edited by BigRedX