Why become a member? ×

Time to offload my gear?

Nicko

My last band folded at the beginning of the pandemic - mostly for reasons unconnected to Covid.  

I'm not missing being in a band as I have become frustrated by the getting one together, getting a decent set, getting a few gigs and then it all falls apart a couple of years in routine. 

So the question is should I get rid of my stuff.  It's only a mid range amp, a 2 x 10" and a 1 x 10" and possibly one of my basses.  Have you done this and then suddenly felt the desire to get back on the horse again and had to buy it all again?

I never really liked gigging that much. I enjoyed the practice sessions but I've recently been doing some home recording and songwriting rather than learning covers.  I don't need the kit for that and I could use any money I get to improve my home recording set up.

If the answer is yes, what's a reasonable second hand value for kit that's a few years old but n good nick and lightly gigged?

Personally I'd hold on to it in case you get the bug again in the future.

With Covid, no gigs for months, so many bands folding and so many venues closing, it's a buyer's market at the minute. I've seen so much gear for sale recently for absolutely ridiculous money, it almost makes me wish I was still in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

With Covid, no gigs for months, so many bands folding and so many venues closing, it's a buyer's market at the minute. I've seen so much gear for sale recently for absolutely ridiculous money, it almost makes me wish I was still in the UK. 

I'm unsure. With the price of new gear rising quite ridiculously (£1k+ for what was £600 a few years ago), as such 2nd hand stuff is going up too (in shops at least). I've not grabbed any bargains for a few months now.

In regards to the OP, if it's in your way and you won't make a big loss, get rid. Price is utterly dependant on brand, current availability, location etc etc.

19 minutes ago, Nicko said:

If the answer is yes, what's a reasonable second hand value for kit that's a few years old but n good nick and lightly gigged?

Rule of thumb that I tend to use as personal guide:

• Pretty mint and under 18 months old:  60% to 80% of list price
  • > 18 months old: 50% to 70% of list price

Depending on age and condition and how much in demand they are. YMMV.

Some kit (particularly some brands of basses) can fall sharply in price used vs new. Just a fact of life.

At the end of the day, something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it and what you're prepared to accept!

If you're not going to be using your gear and you can put the money to better use then you might as well sell it. You can always buy back some quality used gear, with renewed enthusiasm, if / when you fancy re-joining the fray.

GLWTS

I find it really hard to part with my gear, mainly because I’m quite selective in the first place, but I sold 2 jazzes and 2 precision’s recently that I wasn’t playing much, and it felt really good, and it enabled me to buy another jazz 😁

Not been in a band for a good few years now! Of course I miss playing gigs, but on the same level I don't miss, lugging gear about, indifferent audiences, band members who are not really committed, or band members who think that band and it's members are their property. Don't sell all of your gear though....You will regret it! I went 6 years without as bass in the house and it was shyte. I realise I'm in the minority here, but these days I enjoy learning songs that I want to learn, and I'm quite happy playing along to them at home.

Edited by pst62
senility

3 minutes ago, pst62 said:

Not been in a band for a good few years now! Of course I miss playing gigs, but on the same level I don't miss, lugging gear about, indifferent audiences, band members who are not really committed, or band members who think that band and it's members are their property. Don't sell all of your gear though....You will regret it! I went 6 years without as bass in the house and it was shyte. I realise I'm in the minority here, but these days I enjoy learning songs that I want to learn, and I'm quite playing along to them at home.

Not planning on selling it all but I have a bass that hasn't been out of it's case for nearly 2 years and the amp/cabs will only get used if I gig.  I'll be keeping at least one bass, plus several guitars.  For some reason I have an emotional attachment to the guitars that I simply don't have with basses.

• Like 1

In 2000 I got rid of everything except one bass. For Peanuts (a UK made Trace Elliot 1x15 300w combo, 76 P Bass, Marshall Guvnor (original model) for literally peanuts.... In 2011 I started playing again and have spent god knows how much - making huge losses on most things Ive sold on. Now Im sick of dealing with other people, their ego's and drama's and health issues have crept in so I have what I want rather than what I need (amp gone replaced with a Headrush cab and a HX Stomp, 5 strings and Spectors gone and back to what Im comfortable with - a good old p bass).

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Personally I'd hold on to it in case you get the bug again in the future.

Trust me you don't want to be here!

• Like 3

Somewhat similar situation for me in that for personal reasons just prior to the pandemic I had to give up my band commitments.

I've spent the last 12 months moving on all my gear downsizing and investing in a smaller number of higher quality pieces such as a nice Sadowsky bass, a decent audio interface and recording software / plugins.

I did keep my Markbass head and 2*10 cabinet.  I considered moving it on but the depreciation on Markbass equipment is very high if you buy new (like Sandberg basses) and I figured I'd want it if any jam opportunities came up.

9 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I did keep my Markbass head and 2*10 cabinet.  I considered moving it on but the depreciation on Markbass equipment is very high if you buy new

That may be the most relevant answer on this thread as to whether I should keep the gear so far.😒

9 minutes ago, Nicko said:

That may be the most relevant answer on this thread as to whether I should keep the gear so far.😒

Yup - @Al Krow's rule of thumb for used gear is nice but for certain brands, Markbass and Sandberg from my personal experience, the loss is significant and you're lucky to get a good return on them.  I sucked it up on the basses because I wanted the Sadowsky but it was too galling to take the hit for the amp and cab too.  So I keep it for if I need it - if I get back into gigging again then I'll reconsider.. who knows it might be considered vintage by that point and be worth something again.

Keep what you really want, and get rid of the rest—but only sell if you get your price. 

It’s fun to pick up new gear if you decide to get back into doing gigs at some point. So if your current gear is kind of ‘meh’, then unload it. 

I have built up gear, and sold it all a few times now, I just don’t get the point in keeping stuff I might use in the future.

you can get a good amp secondhand pretty cheap these days so I’d sell up and upgrade your studio stuff.

last spring I was sure I wouldn’t play again in a long while so I sold my amp and used the money to get a bike so I could have a potter round the countryside and get some exercise. I kept my bass only because it was a ridiculously good price and I could never replace it for what I paid.

I was due to have a one off gig in a few weeks which just got cancelled and I was quite happy to just borrow or buy a cheap combo and then maybe even sell it afterwards if no more gigs came in. Now the gigs off I am going to buy a new interface for my computer.

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

There's no point sitting on stuff you're not going to use. If you're more into the recording side now, put the money into that. You might be able to get the hardware you want by trading, rather than selling and buying.

Whilst I agree with you, I am in the position of not being able to play (even if there were gigs available) due to the constraints of my job. I work ad hoc and can't even arrange rehearsals never mind gigs. Bearing this in mind I can't bring myself to get rid of all my gear and 14 bass guitars. I enjoy playing them and they are stored in my spare room/music room. I have gear there for mixing and recording and I enjoy mucking about with Pro Logic, so the gear stays. I have a very understanding partner and all is well.

• Like 1