Why become a member? ×

Fender Mustang - What’s changed?

tegs07

I’ve always loved the looks of the classic Fender basses. Precision, Jazz, Telecaster, Jaguar.

However I hated the Mustang. To me It always looked like a fugly toy bass.
My son has recently shown an interest in playing bass and finds them a bit big for his build. I have started looking at short scale basses and am constantly drawn to the Mustang. For some bizarre reason they suddenly look great. Nothing has changed except my perception! I don’t want a PJ but the JMJ is out of my budget. Has anyone tried the Squire Classic Vibe and is it any good? Alternatively is there a MIJ or MIM model that may be around on the used market that has the Mustang pickup configuration? Thanks.

Edited by tegs07

There's a few threads running at the minute regarding the JMJ and the Squier CV which should give you some idea of the differences.

I've got a JMJ and an Indonesian Mikey Way Sig - so different ends of the spend spectrum.  There are differences, pup, neck profile, body wood etc, so it's worth checking the differences before you buy.  I use both of mine and like them both for different reasons, the JMJ is the better bass but the MWS is used on most gigs because of the looks.

If you want the standard pickup config, the CV looks a good bang for the buck, in fact if I could sneak one in under the wife's nose I'd have one.  The MIM Vintera model might be an option for you, as roughly a JMJ but without the JMJ pup and relicing.  In terms of MIJ look to the used market, I've had one and it was very nice but not as nice as the JMJ IMHO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

There's a few threads running at the minute regarding the JMJ and the Squier CV which should give you some idea of the differences.

I've got a JMJ and an Indonesian Mikey Way Sig - so different ends of the spend spectrum.  There are differences, pup, neck profile, body wood etc, so it's worth checking the differences before you buy.  I use both of mine and like them both for different reasons, the JMJ is the better bass but the MWS is used on most gigs because of the looks.

If you want the standard pickup config, the CV looks a good bang for the buck, in fact if I could sneak one in under the wife's nose I'd have one.  The MIM Vintera model might be an option for you, as roughly a JMJ but without the JMJ pup and relicing.  In terms of MIJ look to the used market, I've had one and it was very nice but not as nice as the JMJ IMHO.

does the vintera have the chunky neck of the JMJ

I have a JMJ, it's fabulous

16 minutes ago, police squad said:

does the vintera have the chunky neck of the JMJ

I have a JMJ, it's fabulous

According to the Fender site they both have a C shape neck profile. I have both and just did an A/B, I'd say they are the same profile but the JMJ is fractions of a millimetre deeper at the edges, so slightly rounder.

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

I’ve always loved the looks of the classic Fender basses. Precision, Jazz, Telecaster, Jaguar.

My son has recently shown an interest in playing bass and finds them a bit big for his build. I have started looking at short scale basses and am constantly drawn to the Mustang. For some bizarre reason they suddenly look great. Nothing has changed except my perception! I don’t want a PJ but the JMJ is out of my budget. Has anyone tried the Squire Classic Vibe and is it any good? Alternatively is there a MIJ or MIM model that may be around on the used market that has the Mustang pickup configuration? Thanks.

Firstly, congratulations on seeing the light 😉 I've never played a Squier Mustang but I imagine like most cheap basses a decent setup will work wonders. A cheaper alternative would be the Squire affinity bronco, they're only about £150 brand new, or there are a bunch of cheap short scale basses out there from Ibanez, Gretsch, Jackson and G&L.

Secondhand MIJ Mustangs are going for crazy money these days, around £1200 😱 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

Thats is exactly as I saw it - I used to see them in the shops in the 80s, wonder why anyone would want a toy bass when you could get a real one for not much more.

Then all of a sudden recently that opinion changed.

1 hour ago, tegs07 said:

I don’t want a PJ but the JMJ is out of my budget. Has anyone tried the Squire Classic Vibe and is it any good? 

I have a Classic Vibe. I bought one the second it was announced and then realised it was about 9 months to release date so I cancelled the order. Then the reviews came out and people said they didn't like this or that so I went off it.

Then one appeared in my facebook marketplace round the corner to me, new and cheap. I bought it. I have not played anything else since. I put flats on it (which I also hate) and they are great too. I took it to practice last night, the drummer loved it and wanted one. It is so fun to play.

Downsides, well the pickup is microphonic and is a bit middly, probably need to fix that. I would prefer a perloid pickguard. And that is it, absolute winner.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bassist_lewis said:

. A cheaper alternative would be the Squire affinity bronco, they're only about £150 brand new, or there are a bunch of cheap short scale basses out there from Ibanez, Gretsch, Jackson and G&L.

Cheers. My son likes the look of the Ibanez GSRM20 GIO miKro Bass but has a habit of not sticking with things and it’s not a bass I would want to keep if he changes his mind. The G&L and Musicman Sterling would be interesting.

Also have a look at the squier mini precision - you can pick up a black one from PMT for £125 at the moment and they look to be excellent for the price. They are extremely cute and I am very close to being tempted to get one but I know it wouldn't get much action when my JMJ & CIJ mustangs are hanging on the wall.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I have been lent a very well loved Hagstrom/Futurama Short Scale which my son has been told he can keep if he sticks with the practice. Not a bad incentive as it’s a cool little bass with a great sound and bags of fun to play.

Edited by tegs07
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tegs07 said:

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I have been leant a very well loved Hagstrom/Futurama Short Scale which my son has been told he can keep if he sticks with the practice. Not a bad incentive as it’s a cool little bass with a great sound and bags of fun to play.

Solid result.

• Like 1