Why become a member? ×

HX Stomp, C4, and .....iPad?

dmdavies

Hope someone can help. I've got a Stomp that I control using bluetooth midi connector to my iPad. Change the song in BandHelper, it changes the patches. Pretty straight forward.

Now I want to introduce a C4 Synth pedal into the mix. I know I will need some kind of USB Host for this to connect the Stomp and C4, but what would the wiring need to be for the iPad to carry on working? 

This is the bluetooth adapter I'm using.

TIE 1i1o-e Bluetooth MIDI Adapter : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

The simplest thing is to put the C4 into the Stomp FX loop and independently control the C4 patches with a DMC controller going into the C4 USB input. Your iPad>Bluetooth> Stomp 'Midi in' commands would be unaffected (but it also means it wouldn't affect the C4 - other than changing Stomp patches that could do things like turn the FX loop on/off).  

Alternatively, I think it is probably possible to go iPad>Bluetooth> Stomp 'Midi in'> Stomp 'midi out/through' > Neuro hub > C4 and have the iPad software programmed to send midi messages that change Stomp presets while also being fed through the 'midi out/though' to also change C4 presets at the same time. I haven't done that though so I don't know exactly how to go about doing it. 

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SumOne said:

The simplest thing is to put the C4 into the Stomp FX loop and independently control the C4 patches with a DMC controller going into the C4 USB input. Your iPad>Bluetooth> Stomp 'Midi in' commands would be unaffected (but it also means it wouldn't affect the C4 - other than changing Stomp patches that could do things like turn the FX loop on/off).  

Alternatively, I think it is probably possible to go iPad>Bluetooth> Stomp 'Midi in'> Stomp 'midi out/through' > Neuro hub > C4 and have the iPad software programmed to send midi messages that change Stomp presets while also being fed through the 'midi out/though' to also change C4 presets at the same time. I haven't done that though so I don't know exactly how to go about doing it. 

Nah the bottom one is the way I was thinking. Just you saying it too is good. I'll give it a go, see what happens!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dmdavies said:

Nah the bottom one is the way I was thinking. Just you saying it too is good. I'll give it a go, see what happens!

Good luck!  Just a few years ago people would be completely amazed to see an iPad wirelessly controlling all the things a Stomp and C4 can do (well, people would still be amazed now - it still seems futuristic). 

• Like 1