Why become a member? ×

NBD: an old friend returns home

Old Horse Murphy

When a chance came to get hold of one of my old basses back in a trade I of course had to say yes. 

This arrived today: a 2014 Fender AV 64 Reissue Jazz in a FSR Daphne Blue with matching headstock. It's bloody lovely so goodness knows why I got rid of it in the first place. 

I have a love/hate thing with Jazzes but hopefully it will hang around for a while. We'll see...

926BDACF-E7A8-4DAB-994E-84233BBF46E5.jpeg

C96639FD-FFD4-4254-9469-F2C1669C4D38.jpeg

F61A07AD-AA8A-4174-8EA5-E6D0A4F124A8.jpeg

• Like 16

On 15/07/2021 at 16:35, Chiliwailer said:

Man, that’s exactly what I tell myself everytime too with a JB 😂

Looks awesome 👍

I think I need to realise that a Jazz isn't a P Bass, so stop trying to use it as one and don't be disappointed when it doesn't sound like one too. 

I've restrung it with DR Sunbeams and the round wounds make all the difference for me and it fills that gap sonically that I didn't have with my other basses. 

So I now have a P Bass with flats, a P Bass with rounds, a Fretless and a Jazz. I think that should do me for a while at least. 

DA2FB791-F6FA-4A20-A8D6-395B0C0AA002.jpeg

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Old Horse Murphy said:

I think I need to realise that a Jazz isn't a P Bass, so stop trying to use it as one and don't be disappointed when it doesn't sound like one too. 

I've restrung it with DR Sunbeams and the round wounds make all the difference for me and it fills that gap sonically that I didn't have with my other basses. 

So I now have a P Bass with flats, a P Bass with rounds, a Fretless and a Jazz. I think that should do me for a while at least. 

I doubt it’ll be for a while, but I’d not give up hope that one day I’ll find that Jazz that feels like a keeper. I love what a Jazz can do, just can’t find one that speaks to me like my old ‘64 did - I sold it to help buy my flat 🤨

• Like 1

It's not just me then. 8 jazz basses and counting...

My issue is that I also play Stingrays and Js seem to have 'booty issues' when I use both types of bass in the same context. I think I need to figure out how to get the best bounce out of jazz. 

I will definitely be getting one soon and I love the AVRIs (I bought one of your AVRI 75s back in the day). That looks gorgeous!

Edited by Cairobill

On 17/07/2021 at 14:23, TheGreek said:

Lovely bass - I realised a while ago that I don't like Jazz basses - I "need" that P fatness so I'm reconciled to owning PJs.

It's funny, I really don't like PJs aesthetically but if I play one, I generally use just the P pickup. With a Jazz I'll never use just the bridge pickup on its own.