Why become a member? ×

Wal 5 string.......where are you?

ebenezer

In the late 80s i had the good fortune to buy said bass from Rock City Music, Newcastle.....Unfortunately i don't know the serial number, but anyway, my bass had a red/brown straight grained paduak top along with a fairly wide blond stripe down the middle (a little wider than the neck)......Can anyone remember buying this from me in a place called Spennymoor?.......A long shot i know, but some pics would be nice.

A last thought!.....i remember paying £1400 for the bass and later selling for £800.....You live and learn don't you haha! 

21 hours ago, Cairobill said:

Ha ha...indeed. The number of times I umm'd and ahh'd about buying a Wal for 600 quid in the late nineties. 

I sold my Wal Custom in ‘96 for £550. I don’t miss the bass particularly, but I do miss the £5k difference. 😂

• Like 1

Indeed. The trouble with Wal basses was that they had a lot of deeply shonky attributes. They also had a whiff of the mid 80s muso (complete with mullet, very short strap, black polo neck and dubious slap skills) which scared a lot of us off in the mid-nineties. I was on the cusp of buying one a few times in that price band but in the end spent my money on other instruments (mainly Stingrays)...which is a solace nowadays when I realise I can't afford one!

I really, really should have bought a fretless Custom though. I've become deeply obsessed with Mick Karn of late...

7 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I sold my Wal Custom in ‘96 for £550. I don’t miss the bass particularly, but I do miss the £5k difference. 😂