Why become a member? ×

Steve Board

Stix

Hi All, I have only just started to learn bass(6 weeks ago), I am 70 years young and the have arthritis in both hands,which is why i gave up on six string guitar as my fingers cant make the chords also due to a bike accident my left wrist has limited movement. I am very pleased at what i can play so far but find that i have to improvise a lot and cannot get a lot of shapes required, I dont want to play in a band, just maybe jam with mates who both play guitars. Do you think i should push on or give up.

Welcome Steve, push on with it mate.

If you find the shapes a bit trying due to your arthritis have a think about a shortscale 30" bass like a Mustang.  I play both 34" and 30" but I'll admit that the 30" is getting more fun as my hands get older.

I’m still playing with my bony, arthriticky claws (complete with creeping numbness)… in fact… the band seem to think I’m pretty good.

I’ve moved on to short scale basses, which definitely help. I’d also recommend getting some flat wound strings… not because they make it any easier… they just sound awesome.

Keep playing and best of luck.