Why become a member? ×

Short scale bass advice, please

Dragline

It takes time and experiment to find the best strings for you. If you can start by deciding whether it is rounds or flats, then buy a set and see how they suit you. Tension is a big issue with flats (my choice, I don't know much about round wounds).  You may have to try various manufacturers before finding the right ones. Don't pay too much attention to what people recommend as it is a very personal decision. Be prepared to leave a set of flats on for some time as they mellow out as they settle in, so you may grow to like them more after time (or not!). All very subjective, no right or wrong answers!

When you find a set that really suit you, you'll know as the instrument will have come alive!

Loving the information, thanks guys. Sounds like I've started on a long road 😁. Never used flatwounds, I'm gonna have to give them a go. After listening to some comparisons I like the top end of rounds but the flats have their own charm to my ears, they sound cleaner, less harmonics but that could just be the player in the examples. 

1 hour ago, Grahambythesea said:

The Gibson DC Junior Bass in ebony is in stock at Thomman for £795 and they now send it to the U.K. duty paid and free postage. Can’t go wrong with a US made Bass at that price. Reviews are excellent.

Thanks man, I've gone ahead and bought the huntington via this forum. Got it for 450 in mint condition. If I like it then I'll probably look at something more high end next year 👍 if I love it though then it's job done 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've thought about the short scale Squiers (around £150) - the reviews suggests that they're good basses.

If you can stretch your budget you might be able to find an ACG short scale - you'll find it difficult to find an "off the shelf" bass that's better.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dragline said:

Thanks man, I've gone ahead and bought the huntington via this forum. Got it for 450 in mint condition. If I like it then I'll probably look at something more high end next year 👍 if I love it though then it's job done 😁

Good man! You got what you were originally looking for and for a good price. Now, something you need to know about BC, there’s a rule, which is so strict that it has its own emoji…

:useless:

We expect these and a full report on your new bass’s arrival. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ezbass said:

Good man! You got what you were originally looking for and for a good price. Now, something you need to know about BC, there’s a rule, which is so strict that it has its own emoji…

:useless:

We expect these and a full report on your new bass’s arrival. 

Of course 😁

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 23:45, Dragline said:

Of course 😁

I've not gotten round to taking pictures yet, at least not any better than the listing pictures 😁. So I've had a week or so with the bass. At first I was dissapointed, it felt a bit cheap and not that much smaller than my usual bass. After a couple of band rehearsals I have fallen in love with it! The sound I'm getting now is perfect for my needs. The low end is so full and satisfying and I love the flatwound strings. Thank you for helping me to find the bass guys and for all he extra advice. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 14:11, NHM said:

It takes time and experiment to find the best strings for you. If you can start by deciding whether it is rounds or flats, then buy a set and see how they suit you. Tension is a big issue with flats (my choice, I don't know much about round wounds).  You may have to try various manufacturers before finding the right ones. Don't pay too much attention to what people recommend as it is a very personal decision. Be prepared to leave a set of flats on for some time as they mellow out as they settle in, so you may grow to like them more after time (or not!). All very subjective, no right or wrong answers!

When you find a set that really suit you, you'll know as the instrument will have come alive!

Agreed, short scales appear, to my ears at least, to be more sensitive to string choice and gauge.