Why become a member? ×

How to check a used bass is legit?

alexa3020

I’ve recently purchased my first ‘pre loved’  bass - a musicman stingray. I bought it off a chap who trades a lot of vintage guitars. During the purchase, the thought did cross my mind - what if this is fake? 
So I did my research and I’m as confident as I can be that it’s the real deal - but I’m no expert.

Probably unlikely, but It occurs to me that if someone knows what they’re doing, they could take some of the hardware off a broken bass, add it to a cheaper body and neck, then sell it off as the real deal. Particularly a P bass for example.

I basically checked that everything looked correct (bridge, neck, backplate, serial number, battery compartment, etc). The bass in question is in the link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernie-ball-Musicman-Stingray-bass-4string-3EQ-with-original-hardcase-/384268166122?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Does this type of thing worry anyone else? Was there anything else I could or should have done before purchasing? I should add I did try before I bought and it played beautifully and sounded great (so perhaps it’s irrelevant).

I will probably buy some more used basses in the future so it would be good to know if there are any other checks you can do

thanks

Alex

I think as long as it looks like it should and the serial number matches online/ with the manufacturer’s records then the risk is pretty low. I think you’ll find most on here only really deal with s/h instruments. Searching the basschat feedback is also a good idea before making a purchase.

• Like 1

You could increase your knowledge by lurking in this lounge:

There are all sorts of 'interesting basses' and after a while you'll get to understand what is kosher and what is not. With regard to your Bass you seem to have done all the right things: what can happen is people try to pass off a cheaper Stingray model as the more expensive one but this is more prevalent with Fenders as the bodies and parts are more generic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

It occurs to me that if someone knows what they’re doing, they could take some of the hardware off a broken bass, add it to a cheaper body and neck, then sell it off as the real deal. Particularly a P bass for example.

Genuine question: if you can't tell the difference between a cheaper P bass and a more expensive one, why buy the expensive one in the first place?

• Like 3

4 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

I’ve recently purchased my first ‘pre loved’  bass - a musicman stingray. I bought it off a chap who trades a lot of vintage guitars. During the purchase, the thought did cross my mind - what if this is fake? 
So I did my research and I’m as confident as I can be that it’s the real deal - but I’m no expert.

Probably unlikely, but It occurs to me that if someone knows what they’re doing, they could take some of the hardware off a broken bass, add it to a cheaper body and neck, then sell it off as the real deal. Particularly a P bass for example.

I basically checked that everything looked correct (bridge, neck, backplate, serial number, battery compartment, etc). The bass in question is in the link below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ernie-ball-Musicman-Stingray-bass-4string-3EQ-with-original-hardcase-/384268166122?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Does this type of thing worry anyone else? Was there anything else I could or should have done before purchasing? I should add I did try before I bought and it played beautifully and sounded great (so perhaps it’s irrelevant).

I will probably buy some more used basses in the future so it would be good to know if there are any other checks you can do

thanks

Alex

Looks totally correct to me (another check is to open the hood and look at the pre amp and board). People have been known to swap them out but the pick up looks ok to me as far as can be seen. 

If you visit the EBMM forum site there is a sticky link to a serial number checker - type in your number (which links to the manufacturer’s database) and it will give you the build details. You can link to this from the main EBMM site as well (possibly under FAQs.

Another resource for all MM basses (including pre EB) is  

http://www.musicmanbass.global/

There are similar resources for other types of instruments including Fender - here is a good example

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html

Edited by drTStingray

Thanks for all the responses.

thanks for the links to the serial number checker.

I did check the serial number prior to purchase, and everything checked out.

3 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Genuine question: if you can't tell the difference between a cheaper P bass and a more expensive one, why buy the expensive one in the first place?

this is an interesting question and probably another topic, here’s my take;

I do think that people buy off photos alone, and with regard to a p bass, it’s probably easier to find parts that look right.

Also, there are some excellent squiers/copies out there - perhaps not the chinese ones, but I recently played an Indonesian one which was very good. Every now and then you’ll get one that plays and feels lovely.

US p bass is likely to hold its value/appreciate.

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Looks totally correct to me (another check is to open the hood and look at the pre amp and board). People have been known to swap them out but the pick up looks ok to me

This is interesting - I shall do my research.

It was discussed years ago that a vintage fender was put to three parts: neck, body, and electronics. Then they were married with some newer parts: voila, three vintage fenders!

People are more aware of this. A numbers matching instrument is more valuable than a bitsa nowadays. (If someone is interested in fenders is another story.)

4 hours ago, alexa3020 said:

Thanks for all the responses.

thanks for the links to the serial number checker.

I did check the serial number prior to purchase, and everything checked out.

this is an interesting question and probably another topic, here’s my take;

I do think that people buy off photos alone, and with regard to a p bass, it’s probably easier to find parts that look right.

Also, there are some excellent squiers/copies out there - perhaps not the chinese ones, but I recently played an Indonesian one which was very good. Every now and then you’ll get one that plays and feels lovely.

US p bass is likely to hold its value/appreciate.

This is interesting - I shall do my research.

Excellent Chinese made instruments exist.

8 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Buying online I guess. You can make an AliExpress China fake special look like the real deal in pictures but its not until its in your hands that you'd notice it's good for nothing other than hanging on a wall to look at. 

• Like 1

Buying 2nd hand anything is a risk. Has a car been in a smash and put back together again? Does an amp have an electrical fault? Is a guitar pieced together from several? Well that was the claim about Eric Clapton’s Blackie, a Strat made from bits of Strats he liked. I don’t suppose that the fact that it’s a bitsa has affected the value of that one! 🎸 

as has been said if it looks and plays ok and seems to be a reliable source then it probably is ok.  If you buy with a credit card and it’s a rogue when you get it, you have some redress if the seller is reluctant to put matters right.

"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread".

If you're spending a significant amount of money, do your homework and make sure you know more than the potential scammer.

As stated above there's a ton of knowledge on this forum - again do a bit of homework and find the member who knows about the instrument you're interested in and have them look at the bass via Teams or Skype.

• Like 1

As others have said, you did your research and you have got a great bass.

Even though this will sound a bit cocky, the only basses I would be worried about buying secondhand are vintage fenders, other than that I can usually spot a dodgy fender rip-off a mile away, and to be honest they seem to be the most copied instruments. 

I have seen people try and pass off cheaper Sterling and SUB basses as American made Stingrays but the headstock, tuners and aftermarket logos are usually a giveaway.

After years of buying and selling you begin to notice tiny details like serial numbers in the wrong place, logos that don’t match with the age of a bass, the wrong type of tuners, the wrong colour nut, the wrong type of bridge saddles, the list goes on.

We are an honest bunch on here, and I would be happy buying from folks on here with feedback and a good reputation. You get more chancers on eBay and Facebook so do your research like you have already, or buy used from a reputable shop like bass direct or the bass gallery.

• Like 1