Why become a member? ×

Jack Casady issue

Bungo Mike

Guys. I’ve added another post about this last week. I own a white JC bass (2014) which is awesome. I’ve bought a second in gold (2002) and I’m after some technical advice. The gold bass volume and tone controls are either on or off where as the white one has full control. I’ve played around with 250k pots both A&B and I’ve wired it exactly like my white one. I’ve renewed the caps and resistor but it just won’t work as it should. Am I missing something here as I’m kinda getting nowhere. If anyone can draw me an idiots schematic then that would be really appreciated 👍😊

There's no such thing as an "idiots schematic", it's just the schematic. That's like asking me to write something in idiots alphabet.

I already linked you a pdf chock full of both schematics and wiring diagrams in which the JC is featured. Even told you which page it is on. I can't make it any easier. If you don't understand schematics and you don't know how to troubleshoot electronics then as I said in another of your threads about this, it's maybe time to take it to a tech.

This is the relevant page from the big document I linked you in another thread:

jc_wiring.thumb.png.e478cafef557d1320b91acb422e08f40.png

With thanks to Cadfael.

In both schematic and wiring diagram form, it can't be made any simpler than this in my opinion.  Also, why are you using 250k pots and expecting the same results?  You have fundamentally changed something about the circuit by using 250k pots instead of 2.5k.  I'm not surprised it's on/off - the zero point is fine but you hit 2.5k very quickly on the sweep of the 250k pot and anything beyond 2.5k will result in no change to the output of the circuit.  That's why you're experiencing on/off type results.  Once the pot hits 2.5k resistance, the other 247.5k of resistance isn't going to block the signal harder, after 2.5k it's just blocked from going to ground/through the tone circuit.  Only a hundredth of the pot's total sweep is going to have any effect.  That's why it's on/off.

Edited by neepheid
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 15/07/2021 at 10:19, neepheid said:

This is the relevant page from the big document I linked you in another thread:

jc_wiring.thumb.png.e478cafef557d1320b91acb422e08f40.png

With thanks to Cadfael.

In both schematic and wiring diagram form, it can't be made any simpler than this in my opinion.  Also, why are you using 250k pots and expecting the same results?  You have fundamentally changed something about the circuit by using 250k pots instead of 2.5k.  I'm not surprised it's on/off - the zero point is fine but you hit 2.5k very quickly on the sweep of the 250k pot and anything beyond 2.5k will result in no change to the output of the circuit.  That's why you're experiencing on/off type results.  Once the pot hits 2.5k resistance, the other 247.5k of resistance isn't going to block the signal harder, after 2.5k it's just blocked from going to ground/through the tone circuit.  Only a hundredth of the pot's total sweep is going to have any effect.  That's why it's on/off.

Spot on. These basses have a low impedance circuit. It will only work correctly with the 2.5K pots