Why become a member? ×

My first bass

Jeff29361

I finally got around to cleaning up my first ever bass today, I bought it in 1997 from a cash converters, I did the punk stuff with it then when I got a better one I put it in a cupboard, 100 basses later and it's one of the few I've kept, does anyone know what model it is, it's a shortscale encore, I know it's rubbish and worthless but it means a lot to me.

IMG_20210714_180213.jpg

IMG_20210714_180223.jpg

• Like 6

Man those stickers tell a story! There's some great bands on there. I did the same on my first bass, and when it came time to remove the stickers someone told me that deoderant was a great way to remove the sticky residue. Probably sprayed half a can of Lynx on that old thing! 😅

That little short scale Encore is a US made Precision compared to the piece of crap that was my first, it was a single pickup version of the monstrosity below, it had an action you could drive a bus under, it met it's demise when the strap button screw gave way and it hit the ground and three of the cast metal stemmed machine heads snapped clean off.

shite.jpg

• Like 1

My first bass, Many have already seen it, but I’ll bore you again 😁, bought off a friend around 1979 , and it was fairly old then, it served me well playing in a few reggae bands for a good few years around east London , it now hangs on my summerhouse wall 🙂

4152DB4C-E119-4585-8DC7-3C55370FDE23.jpeg

• Like 1

I guess most of us that started in the 70s had a variant of the short scale Jap / Woolworths crap things,  mine was a nasty red/black 'burst' single PU effort with a neck from that funny mid brown grainy wood stuff !

It was only used by me once for any kind of live performance, I subsequently borrowed a quite decent Jazz copy from a mate, and was well annoyed when he wanted it back :)

..in fact having looked on t'internet at 70s junk basses....this is pretty much the one I had, but I don't seem to remember  the scratchplate being at a wonky angle like that.. Then again it was 45 years ago or something!

..if you took the ashtray off as I recall there was a very nasty sharp metal bracket thing sticking up, just for you to rip your hand to shreds on...

I've no idea what became of it, I probably just swapped it for something random I expect..

IMG_20210716_212356_091.JPG

Edited by Waddo Soqable