Why become a member? ×

Who should rebook a delivery?

ambient

I recently ordered a bass rig from a music shop, sadly I didn’t like it. The seller agreed to me returning it which I’ve done - at my expense. I used DPD courier service, I’ve used them previously and always been pleased with their service. 

They sent the shop an email and a text to let them know the date of delivery and the expected time slot. Despite that they weren’t there when DPD turned up. DPD have left a card, and sent a text message and an email with details of how to rebook.

I sent them an email when I realised what had happened, politely asking them to contact DPD and arrange a new date/time.

They've replied telling me it’s my responsibility to do that. I’ve never in all my time of buying or selling encountered that. It’s always been the person the item is being delivered to that’s rearranged delivery. Am I right with that?

Yeah it seems odd for you to rebook when you don't know they will be there to accept the delivery. 

That would be like you missing the original delivery and expecting them to rebook the courier for you. 

Name & shame time I think.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Yeah it seems odd for you to rebook when you don't know they will be there to accept the delivery. 

That would be like you missing the original delivery and expecting them to rebook the courier for you. 

Name & shame time I think.

Exactly. Plus I don’t have the information that he’s been given to be able to rebook.

I’m not convinced that what I bought wasn’t actually faulty, it didn’t perform like the one I tried in a shop, or as people had described to me. I emailed them telling them that and received a very flippant reply. 

I’ve emailed them anyway, telling them that they should rearrange the delivery so the time suits them. I’ve also told them I’m not standing for being messed around.

Let's cut to the important facts - how did you pay for the bass & original delivery?

I had to look up the actual specific wording of the legislation. It is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/35/made You have already fulfilled your legal obligation because you are only required to send the item, they are not required to have received it! 35 (4). 

What complicates it is that DPD might have failed to fulfil their obligation in DELIVERING the item, although you have SENT it (they are obvs not quite the same) so you may also have a valid claim against DPD. Or more simply, since DPD have been quite reasonable so far, its the shop's own fault they've not received it because they've underperformed because it would be reasonable for them to liase with DPD on the delivery details.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grahambythesea said:

You are absolutely right, if they weren’t there, it’s up to them to say when they are. They sound like a right bunch of amateurs looking for a reason not to refund. I hope you bought it on a credit card.

PayPal. That was my concern too. I mean, if you get a text and an email from DPD telling you to expect a delivery between 3pm and 4pm, you’d wait on for it, or use the text/email to change the time.

3 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Let's cut to the important facts - how did you pay for the bass & original delivery?

I had to look up the actual specific wording of the legislation. It is here: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/35/made You have already fulfilled your legal obligation because you are only required to send the item, they are not required to have received it! 35 (4). 

What complicates it is that DPD might have failed to fulfil their obligation in DELIVERING the item, although you have SENT it (they are obvs not quite the same) so you may also have a valid claim against DPD. Or more simply, since DPD have been quite reasonable so far, its the shop's own fault they've not received it because they've underperformed because it would be reasonable for them to liase with DPD on the delivery details.

DPD have tried, they also notified the shop by text and email giving them a delivery slot. If it wasn’t a suitable time then all they needed to do was change it via the text/email, rather than buggering off home.

My advice is to:

1. Keep all correspondence to email/text (don't use phone)
2. (Obviously), keep it polite, professional and on-point.
3. Decide if you are rejecting it under The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (because its simply unwanted within the 14 days) or whether it is faulty. If needs be, hedge your bets by mentioning both and providing supporting evidence for both at the same time.
3. Open a Paypal case ASAP. The time periods from opening to claim win/money back are quite long
4. Copy and paste all correspondence to the Paypal claim

With Paypal, unless you make a silly mistake or are clearly in the wrong or trying to pull a fast one, the buyer normally comes out as the winner. There is another debate as to whether that's right or wrong, probably for another thread though. 

• Like 1

Just a follow up to this.

The shop rearranged the delivery themselves - obviously something they should have done much earlier so that DPD didn’t make a wasted journey.

I am however still waiting for my refund. They’re punishing me by not refunding me until they absolutely have to because I opened a PayPal dispute.

The shop in question is Craig’s Music in Bodmin, Cornwall. They sell through eBay and Reverb.

Their customer service is absolutely appalling. 

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, ambient said:

The shop in question is Craig’s Music in Bodmin, Cornwall. They sell through eBay and Reverb.

Their customer service is absolutely appalling. 

The closest music shop to me. I've been playing for nearly thirty years, I've been once, once was enough!

I had to wait while he dealt with the customer before me, not a problem. Once the customer left he started to slag the customer off to me. Then asked what I was after. It was probably 10/15 years ago and I'd never tried flats. I said, "I'd like to try some flats on my P bass to see what they sound like". He replied, "They'll probably sound shit." 

Well thanks for your insight Craig. I buy all my strings online now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Maude said:

The closest music shop to me. I've been playing for nearly thirty years, I've been once, once was enough!

I had to wait while he dealt with the customer before me, not a problem. Once the customer left he started to slag the customer off to me. Then asked what I was after. It was probably 10/15 years ago and I'd never tried flats. I said, "I'd like to try some flats on my P bass to see what they sound like". He replied, "They'll probably sound shit." 

Well thanks for your insight Craig. I buy all my strings online now. 

To be fair they do have a 'bean-bag equipped demo room'. What's not to like?

• Like 2

I know I shouldn't, because although myself and @ambient have had bad experiences with Craig's Music I'm sure plenty of others have happily dealt with them. They've been there a long time so must be doing something right.

But... get an image of Ricky Gervais' David Brent in your head and then watch this. 

I really can't work out if it's a genuine worker trying to promote the stock, or a guerilla mockumentary. 

Edited by Maude
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Maude said:

I know I shouldn't, because although myself and @ambient have had bad experiences with Craig's Music I'm sure plenty of others have happily dealt with them. They've been there a long time so must be doing something right.

But... get an image of Ricky Gervais' David Brent in your head and then watch this. 

I really can't work out if it's a genuine worker trying to promote the stock, or a guerilla mockumentary. 

That’s fantastic. Good to put faces to the people who aren’t replying to my emails.