Why become a member? ×

Combo recommendations

Peejay

13 hours ago, Peejay said:

And why is it that all the cheap(ish) stuff is darn sarf???

More of it, which drives the price down. If you see something you really want, I expect one of us could grab it and BC could do a relay to get it to you. I'd be happy to help.

14 hours ago, Peejay said:

Have read conflicting reviews about PJB. Some people rave about them and others think they're a bit weak due to small speakers????

As a long-time PJB user, I can confirm that isn't the case. There is physics that actually favours multiple small drivers over one larger one. I find they don't want for volume or low end and the size of the drivers obviates the need for tweeters. The clarity and lack of harshness (always an issue for me with tweeters) is excellent.

The downside is that they are inefficient and need some power to drive them properly.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Like 2

Really appreciate that. Thank you.

See what you mean about PJB and that clarifies very well.

Hopefully going away for a couple of days, so will give it some thought and do some research then reach some kind of conclusion. I don't mind the cost so much as getting the right outcome, but value opinions based upon long term experience, as this usually means that what you've had for a while tends to tick most of the boxes. Otherwise, it becomes a series of bull/sell arrangements based on pot luck. 

After some more research I've sort of narrowed it down to:

* EBS Classic Session 120

* PJB Session 77 (100w)

* Mark Bass CMD 121

Cost can be offset by sale of the Blackstar, Ampeg and if someone has a forklift truck, the Peavey TNT 160, although the latter is worth nothing really.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Peejay said:

Sorry to be a pain, but what's the view on GK combos? 

I've had a GK MB150s for 25 years now, I've toured with it (with the matching GK 1x12 extension), recorded with it, and rehearsed with it. Big tonal range, ultra reliable, and the aluminium build is indestructible. A good prospect if you can find a used one, they're now discontinued. I have a Markbass CMD 121 as well, but I kind of prefer the immediacy and punch of the GK.

YMMV.

preview.jpg

I have a GK Backline 110 (70w) which is more than adequate for home use and I've even used it for rehearsals with a hard hitting drummer. A friend of mine has the 15" version (150w I believe) which he has gigged - did not lack for volume.

I think that I've mentioned owning a suitcase - exceeds everybody's expectations - those "silly little speakers" blow minds.

On 19/07/2021 at 16:18, Peejay said:

After some more research I've sort of narrowed it down to:

* EBS Classic Session 120

* PJB Session 77 (100w)

* Mark Bass CMD 121

Cost can be offset by sale of the Blackstar, Ampeg and if someone has a forklift truck, the Peavey TNT 160, although the latter is worth nothing really.

I use the markbass 151 and it has some serious welly for its size - done a number of gigs without pa support to c150 people (loud band, too) with no trouble at all. Would imagine the 121 is very similar, good luck!

Thanks for your help guys.

As I only play at home now high volume isn't really a necessity, but quality of tonal variation and clean sound are the main things. That said, a lot of smaller amps tend to sound very similar, so the ones suggested probably fit the bill.

Going to try as many as I can this week and then decide which one offers the best overall compromise.

Very much appreciate all the comments and guidance. Thank you.

Tried several combos over the last week or so and given that I only play at home now (mostly through headphones), I eventually opted for a Markbass CMD101.

EBS Classic 120 is a great amp, but perhaps a little more than I need. The GK MD110 is also a great amp but the sound through headphones was markedly different so this one was ruled out.

PJB amps really are a surprise and it was a toss up between a Session 77 and the Markbass as there was very little difference overall. Just felt that the MB sounded the same through headphones as through the speaker so that was the deciding factor.

Next step is a compressor pedal. I don't regard them as an effect, more a means of evening things out, so that the overall sound is consistent.  I've always considered Boss pedals to be pretty decent and easy to work with but would welcome suggestions.

Cheers

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peejay said:

Very much appreciate all the comments and guidance. Thank you.

Tried several combos over the last week or so and given that I only play at home now (mostly through headphones), I eventually opted for a Markbass CMD101.

EBS Classic 120 is a great amp, but perhaps a little more than I need. The GK MD110 is also a great amp but the sound through headphones was markedly different so this one was ruled out.

PJB amps really are a surprise and it was a toss up between a Session 77 and the Markbass as there was very little difference overall. Just felt that the MB sounded the same through headphones as through the speaker so that was the deciding factor.

Next step is a compressor pedal. I don't regard them as an effect, more a means of evening things out, so that the overall sound is consistent.  I've always considered Boss pedals to be pretty decent and easy to work with but would welcome suggestions.

Cheers

The next step is to post pics when you get the amp! :)