Why become a member? ×

Combo recommendations

Peejay

Hi folks

I may already have what I need amp-wise, but I'd be grateful for recommendations for a combo.

Currently have an Ampeg BA-110 and a Blackstar Unity 60, both of which are OK, but the former really tends to sound the same to me regardless of EQ setting and the latter, whilst it has some nice features (onboard compressor and chorus), just seems to lack something somehow.

I only play at home now, so don't need a massive power output and 100w or so is probably plenty and mostly play rock, blues, funk-type music, so open to suggestions.

Budget is circa £600.

Cheers

£600 should get you something very capable, especially if you buy used. Personally, I don't like modelling amps, but that's just me. Better to have something that makes a few sounds you like, rather than dozens of "almost, but not quite" options, imho.

Do you want something just for bass, or for guitar as well? If the former, a number of the usual suspects will be worth looking at. You don't appear to want/need high volume and it seems you want something compact.

Fender Rumbles are a safe choice. Not my favourite (I don't dislike them by any means), but will do a decent job and frequently come up used. Well priced, too.

EBS Session combos are nice, too. The 60 or 120 should be very suitable and they are well within budget new.

I really like the Markbass CMD 12. New, it's a little over your budget, but a good used one will be well under it. It has a slightly warmer/old school sound than many and should suit the music you play very well. 

If you can find one within your price range, a used AER or Phil Jones combo will be excellent. Both tend not to be bought by hooligans, so used ones are usually in very good shape, albeit rather rare (people tend to hang onto them).

Hope this is of some help.

Another vote for the EBS session combos, way bigger sound than you would expect, lovely amps and not massive money so you should have some left over for pedals and other bits.

If I needed something small for home I would also be tempted by the Ampeg Micro VR stack just because it looks amazing and I keep seeing them pop up in YouTube videos and they sound great.

Thanks guys

EBS look really impressive and Mark Bass too. I have eight basses (P, J, Ric 4003, Gibson RD, Yamaha 1004J, 2 x EBMM), so plenty of variation as far as input in concerned, but as I mentioned, the amps I currently have deliver pretty much the same result, regardless of EQ. PJB tick most of the boxes, but the Peavey also looks interesting.

Plenty to consider here and really appreciate your comments.  

If you want to save £500 of your budget you should consider an Ashdown EVO 180. If you want to annoy the neighbours a bit more you could get a valve MAG300 for an extra £50 or so.

I have the EVO 180 in my living room - more than I would ever need and the reassurance that if it ever went wrong I could probably run it down to Sussex myself and get it repaired. 

I would be remiss to not recommend a TE combo (as long as you do not plan to move it yourself).

Hmmm.

I guess I'm an old fart and used to 'normal' amps.  Where do you get an EVO 180 from for that money? Neighbour is as deaf as a boot so...!

Seen a Roland Cube for about £250 and an EBS for £300 locally. It's like being told to pee in the corner of a barrel!

9 hours ago, TheGreek said:

I have the EVO 180 in my living room - more than I would ever need and the reassurance that if it ever went wrong I could probably run it down to Sussex myself and get it repaired. 

Sussex ?

Another recommendation for a Fender Rumble combo. I have the 100 watt job, and used it for a rehearsal yesterday in a barn where it was competing with 2 loud rock guitarists and a drummer. More than held it’s own without breaking into a sweat, and most importantly sounded great. Very intuitive tone controls make dialling in your sound quick and easy. I like the ‘vintage’ pre set button, made my Jazz sound thick and full. The combo also weighs next to nothing too! Second hand ones can be picked up for around £150 upwards, but even the new price of around £280 ish is still under 50% of your budget. Try one before spending more, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

edit : there’s one for sale in the Marketplace section (in Essex) at the moment for £130, which is a bargain deal.

Edited by casapete
Update

28 minutes ago, casapete said:

Another recommendation for a Fender Rumble combo. I have the 100 watt job, and used it for a rehearsal yesterday in a barn where it was competing with 2 loud rock guitarists and a drummer. More than held it’s own without breaking into a sweat, and most importantly sounded great. Very intuitive tone controls make dialling in your sound quick and easy. I like the ‘vintage’ pre set button, made my Jazz sound thick and full. The combo also weighs next to nothing too! Second hand ones can be picked up for around £150 upwards, but even the new price of around £280 ish is still under 50% of your budget. Try one before spending more, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

edit : there’s one for sale in the Marketplace section (in Essex) at the moment for £130, which is a bargain deal.

I have one of these and it's a great little amp. It does get overwhelmed by John Bonham type drummers but if I wasn't planning on gigging with it then it would be my first choice.

Thanks guys

I don't have to worry about being overwhelmed by a drummer or a guitarist with a 100w Marshall stack as I only play at home now - usually to music on my iPad.

All the suggestions are gratefully received. Tried both existing amps and fiddled with the EQs but still a little underwhelmed by both so a new amp is where I'm going. The Ashdown EVO sounds like a contender, as does a Fender Rumble, but I also like the look of EBS Classic 120 or even a Roland Cube, although the latter is more of a modelling unit but it does negate the need for pedals.

I find a lot of amps are 'voiced' so I'd like something that is clean to start with, but where you can dial in decent tonal variation with the EQ and bass itself (I have plenty of variety in the latter aspect). I also have a Peavey TNT 160 in the garage but it weighs as much as a small planet and all the pots are crackly so it may end up at the local rubbish tip.

Wow. Thank you.

Sadly, my stepson has brought us a COVID prezzie, so I'm stuck here for a few days. I'll keep an eye out on Gumtree locally (15m South of York, 20m East of Leeds) to see what's available.

Much appreciated.

On 16/07/2021 at 07:23, Peejay said:

Thanks guys

"I find a lot of amps are 'voiced' so I'd like something that is clean to start with, but where you can dial in decent tonal variation with the EQ and bass itself (I have plenty of variety in the latter aspect). "

lots of Ideas given here but based on above sentence take a listen to Markbass, PJB, Traynor and new Trace Elliot combo's [ or Elf with 2x8]

Edited by Nebadon2000
added info

Thank you. 

So many suggestions and all with good reason.

Tried a Fender Rumble (100) today and it was plenty loud. I mean p**s the neighbours off three doors down loud. Probably more than I'm likely to need, but nice to have if you need it, so a consideration. 

Have read conflicting reviews about PJB. Some people rave about them and others think they're a bit weak due to small speakers???? Usual story I guess, some like some don't, but the problem is not being able to try all of them out, so you end up reliant on subjective web-based opinion (which I'm as guilty as anyone of!). Think I'll visit a store and try a few out.

Eventually, it's a compromise, and bearing in mind I only play at home, I can't expect a small combo to deliver a 4X10/big amp output, so I'll go with what I figure I can get the most out of and if that means a bigger budget then it's probably worth it in the long run.

Appreciate everyone's comments.

Cheers

• Like 1