Why become a member? ×

Standalone poweramps/Seymour Duncan Powerstage heads.

NancyJohnson

They aren't heads. They are power amps with an EQ.

I asked them when the first one came out about suitability for bass and they said no. So I didn't look further.

There are a couple of threads on the fretboard where a design issue has been discovered where unplugging can lead to the user getting a jolt!

• Thanks 1

I think all I really want is a small/powerful poweramp with just a volume control; all my pre-shaping comes from Tech21 stuff and this always goes into the effects return of whatever amp I'm using (currently a 900w Darkglass A/O head). 

I'm not particularly fond of the DG A/O tonally, volumewise it's more than adequate. 

10 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

The GSS Baby Sumo is apparently very good, but it seems to have disappeared from their website.

The Demeter Minnie 800D is ace. I'd like one myself.

The Matrix stuff is excellent, but that's getting bigger. Rack mount stuff in 1u or 2u options.

I used to run a Matrix poweramp, it was fantastic and only went because I was just trying to cut down on the weight of the stuff I was carrying.

The GSS is still on the website, €300 for the 600w/4ohm one, the 1kw is €460.  Maybe it's just a website glitch.

Not familiar with Demeter kit, but the 800D ticks all the boxes really.  

17 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I used to run a Matrix poweramp, it was fantastic and only went because I was just trying to cut down on the weight of the stuff I was carrying.

The GSS is still on the website, €300 for the 600w/4ohm one, the 1kw is €460.  Maybe it's just a website glitch.

Not familiar with Demeter kit, but the 800D ticks all the boxes really.  

I had a Demeter head for a while. Falls into the "should never have sold it" bracket.

I am getting a bit moist about the Demeter Minnie 800D.  

As I've mentioned elsewhere, we seem to buy these amps and just try and set things flat(tish) to accommodate stuff we either stick in the front or just utilise the effects return.  I honestly don't need the preshape gubbins, I just use the Sansamps to create my tone. 

Right, now to find out who sells these.

pb200376-jpg.2448248

• Like 2

You might have seen this thread from 2015 giving some alternates to the Minnie 800D Minnie Alternatives? @Passinwind post is near the bottom.

I've used the Demeter HBP-1 800D for a number of years now and love it. Its a combination of the HBP-1 pre-amp which was standalone 1U and the 800D power module which has plenty of power on tap whatever cab I use it with. Great gear 🙂

4 minutes ago, Acebassmusic said:

You might have seen this thread from 2015 giving some alternates to the Minnie 800D Minnie Alternatives? @Passinwind post is near the bottom.

I've used the Demeter HBP-1 800D for a number of years now and love it. Its a combination of the HBP-1 pre-amp which was standalone 1U and the 800D power module which has plenty of power on tap whatever cab I use it with. Great gear 🙂

I read that thread about an hour ago!

Nobody seems to carry Demeter stuff, so I reckon it might be a case if going direct to James D. to see what he can do.

27 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

I read that thread about an hour ago!

Nobody seems to carry Demeter stuff, so I reckon it might be a case if going direct to James D. to see what he can do.

I bought mine through Bass Gear when they were up and running. @molan may be able to help?

If you are concerned about weight why not consider a Class D stereo power amp? They are available everywhere. They are light, cheapish and you can just use one channel if you wish. 

my main bass amp is a 2KW capable Class D amp with a lil' tube preamp I built for it. Both together in a 4U SKB rack case I can pick the thing up with just two fingers. 

7 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

If you are concerned about weight why not consider a Class D stereo power amp? They are available everywhere. They are light, cheapish and you can just use one channel if you wish. 

my main bass amp is a 2KW capable Class D amp with a lil' tube preamp I built for it. Both together in a 4U SKB rack case I can pick the thing up with just two fingers. 

I've gone from running biggish rack systems/dual cabinet set ups to having a desire for small set ups.  

All my front end tone comes off either the Dug Pinnick or Geddy Lee Sansamps, so I just want to amplify that signal as purely as possible.  I can see the allure of racked gear, but I don't want to go back to that; I genuinely like the idea of the Demeter Minnie and a Sansamp.

I have been thinking of buying a power amp to put after my Geddy Lee Sansamp.  I like the idea of being able to upgrade or alter the amp by just buying another pre-amp instead of a complete head.

I spoke to Alan at 'Bassics' regarding the A900 power amp that they sell (when in stock), as mentioned by @MartinB above.  Alan says it is having an upgrade at the moment and they are also awaiting parts for a new run.  The new model will be able to put 850watts through a single 4 ohm cab, whereas the older model was basically 425 ohms per speakon socket and you only got the full 850 with two cabs.  That isn't what I read on the website but that is what I was told over the phone.

I was told the new version is likely to be out in about 3 months.  Of course, if it sounds bad then the whole signal chain will be affected but I imagine its a lot easier to make a decent sounding power amp without all the EQ etc than a complete pre and power amp.

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I've gone from running biggish rack systems/dual cabinet set ups to having a desire for small set ups.  

All my front end tone comes off either the Dug Pinnick or Geddy Lee Sansamps, so I just want to amplify that signal as purely as possible.  I can see the allure of racked gear, but I don't want to go back to that; I genuinely like the idea of the Demeter Minnie and a Sansamp.

Well I wish you luck with that then. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have to say I’m pondering going down a similar route. Last two nights at band practices I’ve used my RM800 as a power amp only, getting the tone shaping from my OriginAL preamp pedal. What I’d love is an ~800-1000W at 2 ohms mini power amp (think Demeter Minnie, GR Bass Pure Amp, Bassics A900…) and a third One10….

Actually completely pointless because the two One10s and RM800 are more than enough for my bands but… it’s fun to add more than is strictly necessary isn’t it 😀

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 12:37 AM, BassmanPaul said:

Hi Paul

Can you tell us a bit more about the Class D stereo power amp you are using?

For the moment I am using a Jay Ganz Straight Ahead power amp. Happy with it.

Mine was made by a US company named Carvin. I have six or seven from the company. They have all functioned flawlessly. I doubt whether they are available to European purchasers. 

I also have three six string basses from them and a bolt on five string I built from their parts.

Edit: Looks like they don't offer power amps any more. :(

Edited by BassmanPaul

On 16/07/2021 at 14:16, Acebassmusic said:

I bought mine through Bass Gear when they were up and running. @molan may be able to help?

As far as I know we were the only Demeter dealer in Europe. 

James D is a lovely guy and really knows his stuff. 

I think I could still get stock from him but it would only ever be on a special custom order basis which would mean no returns available. 

Probably not worth the risk unless anyone was 100% sure they really wanted something. 

10 hours ago, molan said:

As far as I know we were the only Demeter dealer in Europe. 

James D is a lovely guy and really knows his stuff. 

I think I could still get stock from him but it would only ever be on a special custom order basis which would mean no returns available. 

Probably not worth the risk unless anyone was 100% sure they really wanted something. 

I'm fairly certain I want to go this route at some point...

19 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

I think ashdown have really missed a trick here. Their 200 watt "Ant" pedalboard amp just can't compete with what the opposition are offering... 

I am at a loss why more manufacturers don't offer a one box power solution.  So many of us run these floorboards full of effects and I'm just horrified when I see people plugging these into the front of an amp. 

I gigged at The Star in Guildford a few years back, was running a rack (Sansamp RBI/Matrix set up) into my old Hartke kit (115/210); all the bands were using my backline and generally the comments were positive - except one.  Another bass player was using a Rickenbacker through about six stompboxes which he insisted on running through the RBI. so he was just piling his dirt and tone through the dirt and tone the RBI was already providing.  I remember trying to say he should just try and eliminate the fuzz from his signal source as the Sansamp would cover this, but no.  Ended up with him telling me my set up sounded terrible.  Err, no.