Why become a member? ×

Fender P/J, which one?

Ajoten

I want a classic-looking instrument with a passive P bass sound and a J neck. Seems to me that means...

[list=1]
[*]Aerodyne P or J;
[*]Modify a standard J so I can run the pickups in parallel (or miraculously find real S1 Jazz);
[*]Reggie Hamilton Jazz and never use the active mode (a waste?);
[*]Deluxe P wotsit or RH and fight with active controls (I hate tweaking, and get confused);
[*]Something else I haven't thought about.
[/list]

All suggestions welcome.

Er, lots of people offer P-J combos why just stick to Fender?

ESP,Dean, and lots of luthiers will offer PJ's etc

If you're dead set on a Fender, there was a late 80's Special with a P-J config, a number of people have them on here and they crop on on ebay occasionally. I think Zoe_Billysheehan has one currently, with Dood or Ped having owned one in the past.

You coud also do a parts bass.

I will say this on the Aerodyne, try it first. It's an unchamfored body which may not get along with your playing style, plus I found with mine that the J-pup was overpowered by the P-pup, but that's just down to it not having enough clout. *My Jap only export model may be for sale in 2/3 months time as a heads up*

[quote name='Ajoten' post='448886' date='Mar 29 2009, 07:34 PM'][*]Modify a standard J so I can run the pickups in [u]parallel[/u] (or miraculously find real S1 Jazz);[/quote]

Parallel is normal, series is what you need. Personally, I'd go for the Aerodyne P, or, if dosh is no object, the Tony Franklin basses, fretted or fretless as required.

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Buzz' post='448908' date='Mar 29 2009, 08:04 PM']ESP,Dean, and lots of luthiers will offer PJ's etc[/quote]

BTW I'm not bothered about the J pickup but the J string spacing/nut width (altho your comment might still be valid). I'm told that Laklands might work in this respect (e.g. Duck Dunn).

If U R after JUST the passive P tone then the RH sig is a waste of $$ but I got one o' these & damn it's a fine bass- passive OR active. In passive mode U aint got any tone adjustments available- except whats on offer from pup blend, which is a fair bit, it's a great combo of pups IMO. So IF U R just after this- get a standard P-bass- which ever model U like. BUT I cannot rate the RH Std sig highly enough. I'ts a great bass. Has it's OWN sound- LOTSA growl, & a DEEP P sound in active OR passive mode. It's actually a pretty close sound in passive or active mode- just with an obvoiusly powerful 3 band EQ in active.
It's close to being MY fave outta MY EBMM 'ray 5, Warwick $$ & a MIA jazz S1 !!!!!!

Edited by rodl2005

[quote name='Ajoten' post='449271' date='Mar 30 2009, 10:29 AM']BTW I'm not bothered about the J pickup but the J string spacing/nut width (altho your comment might still be valid). I'm told that Laklands might work in this respect (e.g. Duck Dunn).[/quote]

Go with the duck dunn it will do exactly what you need, i have just got one and it is the best buy i've made, classic P sound with Jazz Neck on top of which it looks the dogs as well.

steve