Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

2 hours ago, SH73 said:

I know what you mean.....but now listening to it on a set of speakers rather than on my portable DAB radio it's not that bad.

I didn't say it was a bad song, just the weakest of the album :D

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Opinion from my feed on the Facebook is that this is their best album since Seventh Son.

Question is, is it as good as anything before Seventh Son?

Yes, it's the best album since Seventh Son. No, it's not as good as anything pre Seventh Son...

Edited by bartelby

12 minutes ago, Chaosanator said:

As a millennial I grew up on Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death etc. I like Senjutsu, but I wouldn't (currently) say that it's better than those albums; my opinion may change after a few more listens 🙂

I think that's the thing, as I said earlier. They've been around for so long, that which ever albums were current when you started listening to them are the sound you associate with them and usually like. For a lot of the (ahem) more mature basschatters, it's the early Paul Di'Anno albums. For me it was Seventh Son. Then I worked backwards from there, next getting into Somewhere in Time and Piece of Mind. They're still my favourite 3 Maiden Albums, even though I then bought and regularly listened to their entire back catalogue. I went to see the Dance of Death tour but couldn't really get into the album. I really really tried to love No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark, and although i liked a lot of the tracks, the album's as a whole never had the same impact as the first three I got into. The Blaze Bailey albums, I didn't listen to at all, they just weren't Maiden to me. Then all the post Brave New World stuff just kind of passed me by entirely. 

6 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

Wrathchild remains their greatest song, to me.

I can't believe they're carrying on with THREE guitar-players for this long, but The Traveling Wilburys already defined how many guitar-players is too many.

This is the first album that I think they’ve managed to get the 3 guitars thing to actually work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I think that's the thing, as I said earlier. They've been around for so long, that which ever albums were current when you started listening to them are the sound you associate with them and usually like. For a lot of the (ahem) more mature basschatters, it's the early Paul Di'Anno albums. For me it was Seventh Son. Then I worked backwards from there, next getting into Somewhere in Time and Piece of Mind. They're still my favourite 3 Maiden Albums, even though I then bought and regularly listened to their entire back catalogue. I went to see the Dance of Death tour but couldn't really get into the album. I really really tried to love No Prayer for the Dying and Fear of the Dark, and although i liked a lot of the tracks, the album's as a whole never had the same impact as the first three I got into. The Blaze Bailey albums, I didn't listen to at all, they just weren't Maiden to me. Then all the post Brave New World stuff just kind of passed me by entirely. 

Agreed, I was pulled into the Maiden family in '83 so my awakening was Number of the Beast/ Piece of Mind, then Powerslave came out soon after. I quite like the new albums, there are a couple of beauties on each IMO, and Senjutsu, ( after only one full listen TBH) seems to fit this pattern, a couple of tracks left me cold, a couple made me go "oooooooh!!!" , and a couple made me go "yeeeeeeaaaaaah". 
The fact that they're still putting out new music some 40-ish years later is a blessing, who ever would have thought this possible back in the eighties...???

• Like 1

I heard death of the Celts on planet rock on Friday. 
I think it’s almost clansman - I hear the melodies in there lol

almost exactly the same construction wise as well. 
after listening twice all the way through- I think Celts is one of the stronger songs there. 
Ive been a maiden fan for far too many years, and always look forward to hearing new tunes from them, but I have to say that there’s nowt that’s blown me away on this album- some good bits, and ‘noddles’ but nothing WOW! For me this time around. 😢

• Like 1

I’ve given the album a couple of spins now, think it is a very enjoyable listen. Some amazing playing throughout and the production is one of their best, all the instruments come through clearly. There is nothing on it that I don’t like, well probably a few noodly intros that could quite easily be edited out. Though I don’t think that is as a big a problem here as on the last few albums.

But on the other hand, don’t find anything particularly exciting, making me want to raise my fist in the air. Or particularly memorable. Enjoyable listen when I have it on, but nothing sticks out, no hooks or choruses that are replaying in my head after. Maybe this will come with some repeated listens. 

All in all, pretty happy with it, overall a good listen, but no real exceptional moments that stand out and demand to be played again immediately. I mean if Wasted Years, for example, comes on my MP3 player, there is a good chance once the song is over that I’ll give it a second listen before moving on to the next track. At the moment I don’t find anything like that on this album.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...