Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

When I was young and gigging around South Wales, the parallel was 'I used to be the guitar player in Racing Cars' (one hit wonders who played 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?). Every gig you did, you would have someone telling you that you were the best band they had ever seen and that they used to be the guitarist in Racing Cars. Research later confirmed that most of them were at some point.

• Haha 1

Further to my previous post. Most agree than Di' Anno suited the first two Maiden albums, it's how we know Maiden and if there was a different singer back then we would have different opinions because we wouldn't know different. Di' Annno was not professional when he " challenged" the fan , he should've ignored it. There are other you tube videos out there where he however shows respect to Bruce. Fame doesn't last forever.

After No prayer for dying  I kept reverting to older albums. I gave X Factor and virtual XI a chance to listen as there is some good material. 2000 onwards, some great songs. Still go and see them live though.

New album? To be honest, it won't be better than 80' s material.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 10:47, Newfoundfreedom said:

I suppose it depends on where you joined the party. 

Seventh Son was the current album when I started listening to Maiden.  It was one of the first albums I ever got into as a whole, and probably the first "theme" album I ever heard. I loved the story telling aspect of it as much as the music. I worked my way backwards from there and found I equally enjoyed everything that came prior. However, nothing that came after had nearly the same impact.

The same with Metallica. The Black album was the current album when I discovered them. Although a lot of die hard fans will say that's the start of the decline. To me it was, and always will be their best album. Although Justice and Ride the Lightening come pretty close. Then came St Anger which I thought was absolute dross and I lost all interest. I haven't really been able to get into any new stuff since then. 

A lot of it I suppose is because they were the album's I was listening to in my teens when I was forming my musical tastes. Nothing I've heard in the following 30 years has had anything like the impact of those first albums. 

This was the same for me, except that with Metallica it was ''' And Justice For All. I hated the Black album.

• Like 1

Was a HUGE Maiden fan, remember seeing them at Reading Rock Festival MANY years ago, when Bruce was on earlier in the day with Samson....Dual stage days, luckily, I was on the left hand side as were Maiden!!!

For me, Maiden will always be about Paul and that line-up.

Happy days :)

iu.jpeg

Edited by ADAM ROBERTS

On 16/08/2021 at 14:12, Bilbo said:

When I was young and gigging around South Wales, the parallel was 'I used to be the guitar player in Racing Cars' (one hit wonders who played 'They Shoot Horses, Don't They?). Every gig you did, you would have someone telling you that you were the best band they had ever seen and that they used to be the guitarist in Racing Cars. Research later confirmed that most of them were at some point.

I was listening to Pop Master on Radio 2 this morning and this came up as one of the questions. The contestant answered correctly and then said that the band came from her home town. 😄

25 minutes ago, DawnPatroller said:

What did you think of Stratego?

I've heard it now 3 times but it's not something that blew me away. There seem to be some guitar riffs that I'm not sure about. It would fit in with any latest Maiden album.  Will have to give it few goes or perhaps listen to the whole album in 3rd of September 😉

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/08/2021 at 16:44, ADAM ROBERTS said:

Was a HUGE Maiden fan, remember seeing them at Reading Rock Festival MANY years ago, when Bruce was on earlier in the day with Samson....Dual stage days, luckily, I was on the left hand side as were Maiden!!!

For me, Maiden will always be about Paul and that line-up.

Happy days :)

iu.jpeg

So Bruce sang in Samsons before Maiden opened for UFO. Steve had visions

5 minutes ago, SH73 said:

Unfortunately at work but listened to planet rock at 6 with Bruce. Can't wait to go home and listen to the album with headphones on.

I’ve listened to the album 3 times today. 
For me The Writing on the Wall is the weakest song. 

14 hours ago, bartelby said:

I’ve listened to the album 3 times today. 
For me The Writing on the Wall is the weakest song. 

I know what you mean.....but now listening to it on a set of speakers rather than on my portable DAB radio it's not that bad.

13 hours ago, Triumph_Rock said:

There are some absolute cracking songs on the new album. I will have to listens loads before I can make my mind up with is best.

Listening to it again. Some great songs and mixture of styles from various Maiden albums.

One song in particular, had about 4  different Maiden album riffs/sound spanning over 20 years in. I will post which one later. The acoustic bass sound is just killer. I even hear guitar tone from Seventh Son album. The overall sound and production is one of the best Maiden material. The drums and cymbals in particular sound is amazing. The acoustic guitars is very subtle. I don't know if it's my headphones or speakers or meant to be sitting in the certain song parts/mix, but the bass in some parts jumps out at you and the keys sound a bit too high pitched every now and again. Could be my ears.