Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

2 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

@Reggaebass and myself were only talking about the rehearsal studios in Leytonstone a couple of hours ago, it has to be the same place...we used it circa 78- 79..  full of old HH amps ( which is what started us going on about it in the first place !)

yes i think it was hh, maybe to be replaced later on by carslboro stingrays. Maiden had to be using their own gear, marshalls i would imagine. The place was located under a railway arch. I used to be so impressed the way the hh would light up in the dark.

Edited by Musicman666
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

had the annoying pleasure of being in the next room to these guys in some grotty leytonstone rehearsal studio, literally we couldn't hear ourselves over the sound coming through the walls.

7 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:
7 hours ago, Musicman666 said:

@Reggaebass and myself were only talking about the rehearsal studios in Leytonstone a couple of hours ago

That has to be the same ones, there wasn’t many around Leytonstone, if I remember rightly they were by Leytonstone overground station, and every time a train went over the place rumbled 😁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

That has to be the same ones, there wasn’t many around Leytonstone, if I remember rightly they were by Leytonstone overground station, and every time a train went over the place rumbled 😁

I'm now struggling to try and remember the name of the place....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waddo Soqable said:

I'm now struggling to try and remember the name of the place....

It was the Alan Gordon rehrarsal rooms.  I thought they were nearer to Leyton but it was a long time ago. Alan Gordon also had a shop in Walthamstow.  HH Amps in one room and the rest were basically garage sized rooms with padded walls!  I used be there on a Sunday with some mates from school, making a frightful racket in the late 70's and on one occasion Maiden were there too in the room next to us, their van was parked up outside stuffed with flight cases with Iron Maiden stenciled on them.  They were a few years older than us and looked much harder! so we only exchanged grunts as we moved our meger kit.  We couldn't hear ourselves either, but that was probably a good thing 😂.

Edited by Urban Bassman
Typo
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Urban Bassman said:

It was the Alan Gordon rehrarsal rooms.  I thought they were nearer to Leyton but it was along time ago. Alan Gordon also had a shop in Walthamstow.  HH Amps in one room and the rest were basically garage sized rooms with padded walls!  I used be there on a Sunday with some mates from school, making a frightful racket in the late 70's and on one occasion Maiden were there too in the room next to us, their van was parked up outside stuffed with flight cases with Iron Maiden stenciled on them.  They were a few years older than us and looked much harder! so we only exchanged grunts as we moved our meger kit.  We couldn't hear ourselves either, but that was probably a good thing 😂.

Allen Gordons of course ! That was driving me nuts trying to think of it !

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Urban Bassman said:

It was the Alan Gordon rehrarsal rooms.  I thought they were nearer to Leyton but it was along time ago. Alan Gordon also had a shop in Walthamstow.  HH Amps in one room and the rest were basically garage sized rooms with padded walls!  I used be there on a Sunday with some mates from school, making a frightful racket in the late 70's and on one occasion Maiden were there too in the room next to us, their van was parked up outside stuffed with flight cases with Iron Maiden stenciled on them.  They were a few years older than us and looked much harder! so we only exchanged grunts as we moved our meger kit.  We couldn't hear ourselves either, but that was probably a good thing 😂.

We always thought of it as Leytonstone, but I believe the actual station was Leyton Midland Road now I think of it..

• Like 1

If you came on the tube, I think both Leyton and Leytonstone were pretty much the same distance walk to AGs so I guess you'd think of it as whichever one you got off at !

Can't remember now exactly where we'd be coming from, but most of us would've been living in various squats, and to get around would "bunk" the tubes, ie pay 10p at the exit saying we'd come from the previous stop, or just jump over the barrier if no one was looking :)

Just had a look in an old photo album and here's a couple of pics from '78 taken at Alan Gordons...we didn't use the amp equipped room very often...this would have been after the Iron Maiden event.

Wish I still had that 70s P though...mind you it was about as heavy as boat a anchor! Note the HH gear!

20210814_113159.jpg

20210814_113044.jpg

Edited by Urban Bassman
Typo
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, Urban Bassman said:

Just a look in an old photo album and here's a couple of pics from '78 taken at Alan Gordons...we didn't use the amp equipped room very often...this would have been after the Iron Maiden event.

Wish I still had that 70s P through...mind you it was about as heavy as boat a anchor! Note the HH gear!

20210814_113159.jpg

20210814_113044.jpg

yeah thats the place lol...grim would be an understatement. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Urban Bassman said:

Just a look in an old photo album and here's a couple of pics from '78 taken at Alan Gordons...we didn't use the amp equipped room very often...this would have been after the Iron Maiden event.

Wish I still had that 70s P through...mind you it was about as heavy as boat a anchor! Note the HH gear!

20210814_113159.jpg

20210814_113044.jpg

Great pictures Bassman 👍, you had a really nice precision then too 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Urban Bassman said:

Just had a look in an old photo album and here's a couple of pics from '78 taken at Alan Gordons...we didn't use the amp equipped room very often...this would have been after the Iron Maiden event.

20210814_113159.jpg

20210814_113044.jpg

Btw the guitarist looks very much like Karl Burns from The Fall !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I definitely used one in Leytonstone, good shout @Urban Bassman, I found this 

27829083-81DE-4A95-AA2C-1042FB9F258E.jpeg

That is interesting, I lived round the corner to Leyton Midland Road in the mid-80s. I think the studios were still there then.

I also bought a Peavey bass combo from Allan Gordon's shop in Walthamstow. Served me well that amp.

• Like 2

I've been a huge Maiden ever fan since I innocently asked my mum "who's that?" as Run to the Hills played on the radio. Props to her for knowing the answer!

I play bass in a Maiden tribute band nowadays. It's such a pleasure to play my favourite songs in front of a crowd that sings along with us. Love it!

• Like 8

21 hours ago, Chaosanator said:

play bass in a Maiden tribute band nowadays. It's such a pleasure to play my favourite songs in front of a crowd that sings along with us. Love it!

Last night I was trying to find a live recording of Back In The Village, and was surprised to find that Iron Maiden have never toured it.

YouTube though did give me a terrible recording* of The Iron Maidens playing it, which was enough to make me think it would sound great live. So.... have you ever played it?

(*meaning it was terribly recorded – beyond the sludge of sound there seemed to be a good performance. Certainly felt exciting!)

Edited by Ricky Rioli
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

YouTube though did give me a terrible recording of The Iron Maidens playing it, which was enough to make me think it would sound great live. So.... have you ever played it?

I agree! The Iron Maidens do a great job at picking cool songs.

I've not played Back in the Village yet, although we were talking about that along with The Duellists only a couple of weeks ago... 😉

At the moment I'm most excited to gig Only the Good Die Young!

• Like 1