Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:
2 hours ago, ubit said:

The fans wanted that high pitched sound that had made the band.

I didn't say he was the better singer did I? I have been to see Corabi sing very recently and he is amazing live. Nikki Sixx explains this quite well in his book. Corabi just didn't suit their songs/image at the time. Record sales went downhill when Corabi joined. Fans grumbled that they wanted the old Crüe back. What you have posted is after they had done their farewell tour. They played again and again and Vince Neil kept eating cheeseburgers and struggled with his vocals.

Edited by ubit

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

but I find even his inter-song talks onstage embarrassing and akward, to the point of irritation.

Oh god, yes, exactly this for me too. I've been a Maiden fan since around 86, finally got to see them in Glasgow in 2000 I think it was. Dickinson went on a ten minute rant about some journalist, trying to whip the crowd up against him. Gist of the story...said journo went on tour with them, they bought him beer, he gave them a bad review. So what, who cares. Left a very bad taste in my mouth, always been disappointed with them live as well. Wish I'd seen them much earlier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, grapefruitmoon said:

Oh god, yes, exactly this for me too. I've been a Maiden fan since around 86, finally got to see them in Glasgow in 2000 I think it was. Dickinson went on a ten minute rant about some journalist, trying to whip the crowd up against him. Gist of the story...said journo went on tour with them, they bought him beer, he gave them a bad review. So what, who cares. Left a very bad taste in my mouth, always been disappointed with them live as well. Wish I'd seen them much earlier.

Seems like a great way to get a few thousand more bad reviews.

Having listened to the new song on planet rock and not being impressed by what  I heard I thought I'd give it another listen here courtesy of DR J 's you tube clip. 
wow! Bruce is straining his voice imho . Not impresssed with the country style intro . 
I think it improves with the standard  solos midway through , but then Bruce's strained vocals are back and destroys it

He seems to be struggling to keep up with what we are accustomed to .

Fwiw , although the 7th son tour was great I couldn't listen to that album anymore .  I cannot stand ' can I play with madness'. Even if Suggs did appear on that track, it wouldn't have improved it . IBruce's vocals on Benjamin breeg are great and that album  was imho the best since somewhere in time .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE said:

Having listened to the new song on planet rock and not being impressed by what  I heard I thought I'd give it another listen here courtesy of DR J 's you tube clip. 
wow! Bruce is straining his voice imho . Not impresssed with the country style intro . 
I think it improves with the standard  solos midway through , but then Bruce's strained vocals are back and destroys it

He seems to be struggling to keep up with what we are accustomed to .

Fwiw , although the 7th son tour was great I couldn't listen to that album anymore .  I cannot stand ' can I play with madness'. Even if Suggs did appear on that track, it wouldn't have improved it . IBruce's vocals on Benjamin breeg are great and that album  was imho the best since somewhere in time .. 

Sadly I don't think his voice had been the same since the throat cancer surgery. 

I don't know if it's a purely physical effect, or of he's just a lot more guarding of his throat now. But the raw power be had in the earlier albums is very rarely present in the later ones 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Sadly I don't think his voice had been the same since the throat cancer surgery. 

I don't know if it's a purely physical effect, or of he's just a lot more guarding of his throat now. But the raw power be had in the earlier albums is very rarely present in the later ones 

Yes , I think you've hit the nail on the head there .

• Like 2

Generally speaking, most rock singers are always spending their capital, not just the interest. Bruce Dickinson was mostly not like that, which is why he can still sing these songs.

But he's past 60, and voices never stay the same decade after decade. Even Pavarotti was no longer singing the music that made his name once he was that age, despite having the most blessed vocal apparatus and an immaculate technique.

Lemmy had the right idea: start out knackered, and stay knackered.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

As no- ones mentioned them yet (with one slight exception);

Nicko- super drummer. maybe hasn't quite Clive's feel, but the pace, stamina and delivery are amazing. 

Adrian- plainly works hard at his craft, both playing and writing. Definitely Puts in the effort live.

Dave- just makes it look easy. 

All held together with "Harris glue."

I might have missed Jannick. Never saw what a 3rd guitarist added to the party, TBH. I know why he's stayed,  though. 

Contentious as it may be, I wouldn't say that Iron Maiden are greater than the sum of their parts.  They might have been until Clive left. 

Something in me says that Sabbath pre- Ozzy's departure were. 

My mate Martin was in a band with Nicko before the Maiden days…

They sacked him “because he wasn’t any good”.

We ribbed him magnificently when Iron Maiden’s tour manager called me about a white Gibson ES-355 we had in stock and they sent a runner to purchase it (at £3500

or whatever it was) as one of the band fancied it.

What a claim to fame though, “i sacked Nicko, he joined Maiden soon after”.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't mind the aging voices, you lose some things but gain others.   Bruce still has it in my book,  check out the youtube vid of him singing Jerusalem with Ian Anderson in Canterbury Cathedral, magic.

Think of Johnny Cash's last album,  his faltering old voice makes that something really special.

I'm also reminded of Terry Jones singing on Pagan Altar's final album, haunting and memorable stuff.

If you want to listen to younger Bruce singing The Writing on the Wall, check out this cover by Bruce's Brazilian vocal doppelganger:

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The last leg of Bruce's Spoken Word tour has been cancelled due to Bruce self isolating. I was in Birmingham last night and the news was a very last minute change of plan. There were lots of Maiden fans wandering around looking rather lost and deflated. Alot of people had travelled a long way. 

• Sad 5

On 24/07/2021 at 19:16, AndyTravis said:

My mate Martin was in a band with Nicko before the Maiden days…

They sacked him “because he wasn’t any good”.

TBH, as I’ve said before, I don’t rate Nicko at all, so I’d be in agreement.

4 hours ago, DawnPatroller said:

The last leg of Bruce's Spoken Word tour has been cancelled due to Bruce self isolating. I was in Birmingham last night and the news was a very last minute change of plan. There were lots of Maiden fans wandering around looking rather lost and deflated. Alot of people had travelled a long way. 

a mate had a spare ticket in that London for tonight, I would have gone.

I've been a fan of Maiden since 82' when `Number of The Beast' was released, I've met a few members of Maiden over the years; Paul Dianno, Clive Burr, Nicko McBrain and Dave Murray, all of them were a real pleasure to meet.  I prefer early Maiden, circa `Killers' and in my view, the `Maiden Japan' live album is the best thing they ever released. 

They say you should never meet your idols and Steve Harris proved this to be very true, I met him when Queensryche played the Town & County Club, Kentish Town back in the 90's, to say that Steve was a bass hero of mine at the time was an understatement, for some reason he was a miserable pain in the derrière and signing an autograph for me was clearly the most demanding experience of his life....and he's a lot shorter in real life.

After that fateful meeting I went right of him and I have never bought a Maiden record since.

3 minutes ago, Musicman666 said:

had the annoying pleasure of being in the next room to these guys in some grotty leytonstone rehearsal studio, literally we couldn't hear ourselves over the sound coming through the walls.

@Reggaebass and myself were only talking about the rehearsal studios in Leytonstone a couple of hours ago, it has to be the same place...we used it circa 78- 79..  full of old HH amps ( which is what started us going on about it in the first place !)

• Like 1