Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

On 13/07/2021 at 12:34, Cato said:

I was a huge Maiden fan between the ages of 13 and 18 before I left them behind at uni.

Although even though I haven't listened to them properly in well over 25 years the Steve Harris gallop still seems to be my default setting when I'm noodling on bass so those 5 years clearly had quite a big impact.

Exactly this - Maiden were one of the first bands I ever liked when I was 12 to about 18, and Steve Harris is one of the reasons I picked up a bass.

I can’t say I listen to them anymore really apart from the very occasional need for a blast of The Prisoner or The Trooper. 

• Like 1

I was browsing through the 80s albums' track listings just now and noticed something I had forgotten: Adrian Smith had previously written in partnership with Bruce Dickinson, but on Somewhere In Time all of his three songs were him alone. I don't know anything about either of their personalities or how their songwriting meshes when they're working together, but clearly writing on his own brought out something different. The lyrics are all quite sad and tender. 

I finished writing that and immediately thought how sweet it is that Bruce Dickinson then sings them very nicely. Definitely no sulking for having been left out.

I think they're the most successful tracks on that album, the rest is a little bit Steve Harris pressing the right buttons on the Steve Harris Songwriting Machine. 

Today I listened to all the albums up to, and including, Somewhere in Time. Tomorrow I'll carry on going. Which means soon I'll be hearing lots of, previously unheard, Maiden tracks.

I've had this long standing belief that, for me, only Iron Maiden, Killers and Seventh Son are devoid of filler tracks. The other albums being somewhere between 20 and 40 percent filler. I may have to revise that...

• Like 1

I thought The X Factor was massively underwhelming when it came out until I heard Man On The Edge played live, I think it was on Ray Cokes' show on MTV at the time. Unshackled from the lifeless production on the album, the rough live mix was full of fire and energy and showed there was nothing particularly wrong with the song or the singer. Blaze wuz robbed.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

I thought The X Factor was massively underwhelming when it came out until I heard Man On The Edge played live, I think it was on Ray Cokes' show on MTV at the time. Unshackled from the lifeless production on the album, the rough live mix was full of fire and energy and showed there was nothing particularly wrong with the song or the singer. Blaze wuz robbed.

Blaze was a bit like Gary Cherone singing in Van Halen, nothing wrong with the vocals in particular, just not what you want to hear with that band.  At least he kept the band going and they didn't all pack it in after Bruce left. 

Who could've replaced Bruce though?  Dio maybe?

It was like when John Corabi joined Motley Crüe. He was/is a much better singer but just didn't suit Motleys songs. the album with his own songs sounds ace but covering the older songs not so much. The fans wanted that high pitched sound that had made the band.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ubit said:

It was like when John Corabi joined Motley Crüe. He was/is a much better singer but just didn't suit Motleys songs. the album with his own songs sounds ace but covering the older songs not so much. The fans wanted that high pitched sound that had made the band.

True, can't beat this:

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

Bruce is clearly a very intelligent, talented, and driven man

Yes, I used to think that before his brexit thing.

12 minutes ago, Jus Lukin said:

He remains very high in my estimation, but he and I are clearly not on the same wavelength.

Hes gone right down in mine, but I still think he was a good singer for maiden back when I listened to them.

• Like 1

Well, I am going to the Bham show. I have heard mixed opinions about whether or not he has anything worthwhile or interesting to say, but I have always found him to be engaging in interviews and generally able to string a coherent sentence together, which is more than I can say for Tommy Lee 😃

Right now, the prospect of an evening out with friends and a couple of beers is so welcoming, I would probably go to the theatre to watch a wall of paint dry. Which may well end up being a justified comparison, I will update you after the show.

• Like 4