Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

On 13/07/2021 at 16:46, Billy Apple said:

The Maiden sound for me was Paul DiAnno. Always thought that Dickinson was a tool.

This may be true, but DiAnno has hardly exemplified himself

I agree and he didn't exactly go out with dignity

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Yeah, not his finest hour there

Apparently the offending guy was trying to make a joke about the height of the mic stand being just right for Bruce Dickinson.

Maybe you shouldn't make jokes in a language you don't fully understand.

Paul however was a complete wnaker about it and should have just went with it rather than be such an angry d(ck in front of people who had paid good money to see him. The way he couldn't leave it after the guy apologised and said he loved him was bang out of order.

As I say I love the first two albums but it seems that Paul has become a sad, bitter twatt!

• Like 1

I saw Di'anno play Basildon ( which should tell you a lot) a few years back, and he was randomly offering out people in the crowd, just for being there. Bizarre. And he was terrible. Loved those first two albums though. Not sure how the band would have evolved had they kept him, I think they'd be a very different beast (🤘) today, if they'd survived.

On 13/07/2021 at 12:45, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I never played in Iron Maiden (obviously), but I played in the pub they did a lot of their early gigs in - The Ruskin Arms. Now that was a venue. Still have the scars to prove it! 

I used to play there regularly in the mid-‘80s. We used to lose money every gig.😂

I liked Maiden but never really loved them (preferred Sabbath and Priest and later Manowar), and I thought they went downhill once Clive left. 

3 minutes ago, 4000 said:

I used to play there regularly in the mid-‘80s. We used to lose money every gig.😂

I liked Maiden but never really loved them (preferred Sabbath and Priest and later Manowar), and I thought they went downhill once Clive left. 

Do you remember Rough Justice? They were a good band and used to play there regularly. I played there with UXB.

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Do you remember Rough Justice? They were a good band and used to play there regularly. I played there with UXB.

Yeah, I remember the name. I was in a band called VHF at the time, after which I moved on from playing metal. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sykilz said:

This new one reminds me of when Wasted Years was released as first single from Somewhere in Time, ooooh it's different.

This comment has stayed in my head since I read it earlier. An interesting thing to say. Tell me more. Was it really that different? How?

'83 was just a couple of years shy of my older brother blasting metal vinyl through the wall of his bedroom into mine, and so my fantastic musical taste had not yet been honed ..

P.S. Up the Irons!

Edited by MHMSWC#03

5 hours ago, sykilz said:

I saw Di'anno play Basildon ( which should tell you a lot) a few years back, and he was randomly offering out people in the crowd, just for being there. Bizarre. And he was terrible. Loved those first two albums though. Not sure how the band would have evolved had they kept him, I think they'd be a very different beast (🤘) today, if they'd survived.

A fat drunk who has a temper problem. Id say they would have had to lose him at some point even if they didn't get Bruce. As I say I love the first two albums but his voice has gone now and I'd hate to see Maiden with Di'Anno now.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

This comment has stayed in my head since I read it earlier. An interesting thing to say. Tell me more. Was it really that different? How?

'83 was just a couple of years shy of my older brother blasting metal vinyl through the wall of his bedroom into mine, and so my fantastic musical taste had not yet been honed ..

P.S. Up the Irons!

To my ( and my friends) ears there was a level of maturity and adventure in Wasted Years that Maiden had only shown glimpses of before, to be fair we were all male, all aged 16/17 when Wasted Years came out, so we were all fairly immature guys who loved their metal, but metal, generally, meant 'anger', power, lyrics about ancient figures, or warriors, or drinking, and riffs generally were hard, fast and powerful. WY came along with its carefully picked  intro, it's'futuristic' guitar sound, melancholy reflective lyrics and to us, a new side of Maiden emerged. I'm sure other people felt quite differently and this is all tosh but it's a time I remember fondly. Loved that album too.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, sykilz said:

To my ( and my friends) ears there was a level of maturity and adventure in Wasted Years that Maiden had only shown glimpses of before, to be fair we were all male, all aged 16/17 when Wasted Years came out, so we were all fairly immature guys who loved their metal, but metal, generally, meant 'anger', power, lyrics about ancient figures, or warriors, or drinking, and riffs generally were hard, fast and powerful. WY came along with its carefully picked  intro, it's'futuristic' guitar sound, melancholy reflective lyrics and to us, a new side of Maiden emerged. I'm sure other people felt quite differently and this is all tosh but it's a time I remember fondly. Loved that album too.

Wasted Years was released 6 weeks, or so, before my 14th birthday. I agree, it was definitely a big change from Powerslave, and for the reasons you mention. 

5 hours ago, MHMSWC#03 said:

It was very different, it was like another group. It was much more keys based, and had a far softer edge. It was the last maiden album I bought, the last time I saw them and I kind of lost interest in them then.

2 hours ago, ubit said:

A fat drunk who has a temper problem. Id say they would have had to lose him at some point even if they didn't get Bruce. As I say I love the first two albums but his voice has gone now and I'd hate to see Maiden with Di'Anno now.

Well, they didn't drop him because they got Bruce, they got bruce because he was holding the group back. When you are having to drop gigs because your singer isn't up to it when you are on the way up, you need to get a reliable singer.

I saw di'anno last in the late 90s (saw him with maiden too), he was pretty good then.

Another one here who kind of stopped listening after SSOASS, there's quite a few of us it seems, we should start a band ;)

I think Maiden have always been a live band, which is backed up by their relentless touring schedule in their 'heyday' years. (YMMV)

I've never been one for listening to recorded live music albums, there's one exception though and that's 'Live After Death', which is quite frankly an awesome album, and an excellent chronicle of a band who are on top of their live game.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, sprocketflup said:

Another one here who kind of stopped listening after SSOASS, there's quite a few of us it seems, we should start a band ;)

...where all the instruments are blue with a chrome scratchplate because, let's be honest, the magic disappeared once that bass got painted white with the WHUFC logo 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, sykilz said:

Yeah, I had just turned 14 when this was released, moved to a new house, new school, parents divorcing, trying to grow my hair - it was a tough time 🤣.  This song felt like it meant something to me then.  It's never been my fav. Maiden song, but it's always had a special place in my heart - and now the Eddie from the single is tattooed on my wrist.  I was amazed by the change in dynamics of the song, the space-age sounding guitars and the almost euphoric chorus, which was a total change from the Maiden i had been listening to since I was 12.

I felt the same excitement at 49 when I logged on to watch the premier of WOTW - its a cool song, nothing amazing, but I enjoyed it and it's Maiden.  I'll always love Maiden.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kendall said:

I felt the same excitement at 49 when I logged on to watch the premier of WOTW - its a cool song, nothing amazing, but I enjoyed it and it's Maiden.  I'll always love Maiden.

EXACTLY THIS!!!!! I think a lot of music fans have that one band that transcend 'just' being music, there's a connection because of your age and what you were going through, and that stays with you for life. They're still the one band that I get genuinely excited about a new release from.

• Like 3

The track list for the new (double) album. Harris must feel sick he couldn't stretch the 4th track to over 10 minutes like his other solo efforts 😂

"Senjutsu" (8:20) - Smith/Harris
"Stratego" (4:59) - Gers/Harris
"The Writing On The Wall" (6:13) - Smith/Dickinson
"Lost In A Lost World" (9:31) - Harris
"Days Of Future Past" (4:03) - Smith/Dickinson
"The Time Machine" (7:09) - Gers/Harris
"Darkest Hour" (7:20) - Smith/Dickinson
"Death Of The Celts" (10:20) - Harris
"The Parchment" (12:39) - Harris
"Hell On Earth" (11:19) - Harris

• Like 1

I don't care what Maiden haters say, I've been a Maiden fan since The Number of the Beast  album release. I like DiAnno and Dickinson era. Bailey also fits well. 

After No prayer for Dying , it took longer for some of the albums to get used to, but even Virtual XI has some great work there. I always prefer listening to the 80s Maiden and occasionally dip in post 90s Maiden material but one thing is for sure, I won't change with fashion.

First gig was SSOTSS, latest was Book of Soul where I met Dennis Stratton outside 02 going to the gig.

I managed to get Nicko's drum stick during a gig and hopefully one day it'll be Steve wrist band.

Up the Irons!

• Like 3

despite not being the biggest fan of this track, I'm still looking forward to the album.

I've always been a maiden fan since the 80's and I thank them for putting the fire in my heart to become a professional musician.

Even though I have a slightly more 'tenuous' relationship with them these days, I have found myself in the position of knowing several ex members as friends as well as band mates. Some of the past events/ business dealings have left a slightly sour taste in my mouth, but I still metaphorically worship at Harris' feet as a player and performer.

I'm trusting that there will be some fresh and amazing music forthcoming, and even if it takes me a few listens, I will still try to appreciate it for what it and they are now, not what they were back in the day.

• Like 2