Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

I'm always a bit surprised when SSOASS is included when someone's applying a quality cut off. I remember looking forward to it very enthusiastically, doing my best to enjoy it, but eventually admitting to myself that the cliffedge Somewhere In Time had been teetering on had been properly fallen off.

Anyway, hearing Aces High for the first time when I was 13 saved my taste in music from the toilet it was seeingly determined to go down, and the following months, hoovering up all their albums, was a very happy time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky Rioli said:

I'm always a bit surprised when SSOASS is included when someone's applying a quality cut off. I remember looking forward to it very enthusiastically, doing my best to enjoy it, but eventually admitting to myself that the cliffedge Somewhere In Time had been teetering on had been properly fallen off.

Anyway, hearing Aces High for the first time when I was 13 saved my taste in music from the toilet it was seeingly determined to go down, and the following months, hoovering up all their albums, was a very happy time.

I suppose it depends on where you joined the party. 

Seventh Son was the current album when I started listening to Maiden.  It was one of the first albums I ever got into as a whole, and probably the first "theme" album I ever heard. I loved the story telling aspect of it as much as the music. I worked my way backwards from there and found I equally enjoyed everything that came prior. However, nothing that came after had nearly the same impact.

The same with Metallica. The Black album was the current album when I discovered them. Although a lot of die hard fans will say that's the start of the decline. To me it was, and always will be their best album. Although Justice and Ride the Lightening come pretty close. Then came St Anger which I thought was absolute dross and I lost all interest. I haven't really been able to get into any new stuff since then. 

A lot of it I suppose is because they were the album's I was listening to in my teens when I was forming my musical tastes. Nothing I've heard in the following 30 years has had anything like the impact of those first albums. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BigRedX said:

Is this in "Off-Topic" because the OP doesn't consider Iron Maiden's output to be music? ;-)

I feel the same about Oasis. The Happy Mondays, The Stone Roses or any other band that came out of Manchester in the 90's while I was listening to Maiden. Metallica, Guns n Roses and Alice Cooper. 🤘😆

• Like 2

Seventh Son was my cutoff too. Not for any reason but my musical tastes took me all over the show.

I bought Brave New World when it was released, listened to it a couple of times but wasn't really interested any more.

I did go to the Brixton Academy to see them, about 20 years ago, they were really good, great energy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've just given this a first listen, and I'm not sure if it's my ears, or my sound system, but the mix sounds good awful to me. With both the bass and the vocal totally washed out. 

Does anyone else think the same, or do I need to readjust something? 

No, I agree, it's a dreadful mix. The drums, in particular, are dull and lifeless. There's a bit more guitar than usual, which is a nice change, but once again they've put out something which sounds like a rough demo. It's not as if Shirley can't do good mixes. It almost as if when has Harris perched on his shoulder, he's guided towards this horrible, flat sounding mixes. It's another area where they peaked with SSOASS. NPFTD and FOTD weren't too bad, if nothing special, and then poor Blaze got lumped with these awful mixes which, BNW aside, have become the band's trademark ever since.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I've just given this a first listen, and I'm not sure if it's my ears, or my sound system, but the mix sounds good awful to me. With both the bass and the vocal totally washed out. 

Does anyone else think the same, or do I need to readjust something? 

It sounded OK to me.

EDIT: When I say it’s OK, I mean it’s just that. Nothing special. The bass does seem to have a little less clank. It will be interesting to compare it to the CD. I’m less impressed with the song than the mix to be honest.

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Thanks 1

Maiden have a knack of delivering live that has recently seen a resurgence.  
Songs sound bigger and better live imho when compared to the studio - but thats ok. 

Live is the litmus paper. Studio only karaoke kings and queens are the festering boil on the derrière of boy and girlband music. Im ok with maiden, and i thought the drums sounded great now he is with BDC.  

Im a fan for almost 40 years and have loved all the albums except virtual xi.

Each to their own i suppose

Edited by Black Coffee
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

imo the marketing strategy has been outstanding, but let down by the song. 

I agree on both points. I didn't even know they had my email address until teasers started landing in my inbox. Although I did buy a band shirt in the merch sale a few weeks back, I am usually quite meticulous unchecking those little boxes where they threaten to spam the living daylights out of you.

Anyway, less spam and more Eddie so I am not complaining.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I've just listened to the new song and it's a good song but considering it's from the same band who did Number Of The Beast and Hallowed Be Thy Name it's just not anywhere near their best work. 

It’s not really the same band. They’re two generations older now. 40 years ago.

I haven't got anything intelligent to say about mixes etc, but I loved it.  I'm also more of a fan of Seventh Son and before,  but there has always been one or two songs on each album that are worth listening to.

Hopefully there will be more in this vein with the animation to go with each track. 

• Like 1

I was not impressed when I listened to the song on YouTube, so I tried it on Spotify ( spit, spit, wash my mouth out!)

the mix is much better there- there is clarity in the bass and the vocals are not as lost. It’s definitely got that ‘modern maiden’ feel to it. 
However I’m still not massively struck with it. 
amazing marketing, average song

• Like 2

Maiden fan since '83 here, I mean for years around that time they were pretty much my go to albums on a daily basis. Personally I really like the new single, it's a little more 'proggy' than their early stuff, but as I've aged I prefer that side of the band, I'm about the only person on planet Earth who prefers Final Frontier album to Book of Souls ( which I found to be a real slog). 
This new one reminds me of when Wasted Years was released as first single from Somewhere in Time, ooooh it's different. True, but I'm finding the new one to be a real grower, as was WY. Just my tuppence worth. Up the Irons 🤘🤘👍👍

• Like 6

13 hours ago, dudewheresmybass said:

I was not impressed when I listened to the song on YouTube, so I tried it on Spotify ( spit, spit, wash my mouth out!)

the mix is much better there- there is clarity in the bass and the vocals are not as lost. It’s definitely got that ‘modern maiden’ feel to it. 
However I’m still not massively struck with it. 
amazing marketing, average song

I found this too, YouTube mix is horrible, especially the vocals to my ears, on Apple music it sounds very good to me, the guitar mix is very clear you can hear all the different guitar lines.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Killed_by_Death said:

It's kind of like Tool, their best is Sober.

My favourite Tool album is Fear Inoculum. I think there's some of their best work on there, Pneuma is as good as anything they've done.

Aenema is a close second though. 

• Like 1

The first two albums are still my favourites by a country mile. Nothing against Bruce but I dislike that opera style wailing. Also the progressive rock style they developed didn't move me as much. I still own all of their albums but I just love that heavy metal innovation of the first two.

• Like 2