Why become a member? ×

Iron Maiden

SteveXFR

I love a bit of Maiden (who doesn't) so listened to this documentary while working.  I now realise that everyone I ever met in a pub who said "I used to play for Iron Maiden you know" was probably telling the truth. I like how Steve Harris says about all the guitarists "yeah, he was a great guitarist"

Edited by SteveXFR
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I loved these but I think they stopped before the point Bruce left, which is a shame because the Blaze years would be interesting for many reasons. Band members who left and then came back seems to be a very hard thing to talk about. The Anthrax story currently coming out on youtube is at such a point. Spitz and Belladonna coming back (temporarily) should be the next episode. Having been to one of those gigs you could see they weren't getting along, particularly with Spitz. Then comes Dan Nelson 😂

The less successful Maiden years would be an interesting thing to cover, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I love a bit of Maiden (who doesn't)

It's hard not to respect their longevity or success but at school I was the only long haired kid who didn't like Maiden. I kept getting told I'd have a Maiden phase but at 48, I'm still waiting for it. They seem like good blokes and I have the upmost respect for their career but it just goes to show that no band can appeal to everyone. In fairness, they seem to be managing remarkably well without my devotion!

• Like 3

I was a huge Maiden fan between the ages of 13 and 18 before I left them behind at uni.

Although even though I haven't listened to them properly in well over 25 years the Steve Harris gallop still seems to be my default setting when I'm noodling on bass so those 5 years clearly had quite a big impact.

• Like 1

I have a lot of time for them . Always loyal to the fans after so many years .

I got lots of memories at the time being someone from the nwobhm scene which  was happening back then . Went to Kingsbury bandwagon etc and was a diehard fan . Saw them at various London gigs right up until the Rainbow gig You get the picture ..

To condense things I do regret being a bit narrow minded and not seeing them with Bruce . I made up for that on the somewhere in time tour onwards . 
Gigwise over the years 3 things stand out : The loudest gig ive bern to ( manowar on the blow your speakers tour was close ) was the metal for muthas gig at the Lyceum . Probably about 3 encores but some people were actually leaving as Paul dianno kept asking the sound guy to turn up.

Then the Clive burr benefit gig . They were not very loud that night .

Then the time Anyhax were the better band at Wembley and it was the worst time I saw maiden . Pre Internet then , and apparently this was around 5he time that Bruce quit . I stand to be corrected .

I'll leave it there ..

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

It's hard not to respect their longevity or success but at school I was the only long haired kid who didn't like Maiden. I kept getting told I'd have a Maiden phase but at 48, I'm still waiting for it. They seem like good blokes and I have the upmost respect for their career but it just goes to show that no band can appeal to everyone. In fairness, they seem to be managing remarkably well without my devotion!

That's pretty much my point of view too. I still get incredulous looks from my mates as my eyes glaze over when they start chatting about Maiden.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I never played in Iron Maiden (obviously), but I played in the pub they did a lot of their early gigs in - The Ruskin Arms. Now that was a venue. Still have the scars to prove it! 

yep me too, about 1988/89. Played to a few mates who travelled up to see us. Had a right laugh

• Like 1

When Bruce first joined they flew to Italy to do some gigs.

My brother was in a band in Rome at the time called The Raff. He met Maiden at the airport and asked if they could support them, Sure they said and they opened for them in Padova and Milan. The B-side to The Number of the Beast was a Live version of Remember Tomorrow recorded at the those gigs IIRC

I became quite a maiden fan at this point

• Like 6

5 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

I now realise that everyone I ever met in a pub who said "I used to play for Iron Maiden you know" was probably telling the truth.

I know Tony Parson’s sister-in-law pretty well. We were in a restaurant one night and she told me her husband plays drums a bit now and then, but his brother is a good guitarist. He was in a band called Iron Maiden in the late 70s. 

I also went out with a girl who knew Derek Riggs.

It’s a small world. 

Whilst I am fond of Maiden they do seem to avoid talking about inter band troubles except for stuff that happened years ago. A bit like ac/dc in that regard.

I remember reading Bruce D`s book and thought that it was a great book if you wanted to fly a plane or become a fencer but not much insight into the workings of Maiden. 

Having said that, part 1 of the history is a good watch.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BreadBin said:

That's pretty much my point of view too. I still get incredulous looks from my mates as my eyes glaze over when they start chatting about Maiden.

Make that 3 here. IM headlined the Saturday at the 2014 Sonisphere fest. Me and the good lady went back to our tent just before they came on. I'm not a fan of any Brit metal bands TBH and that includes Sabbath and Priest. There are lot of bands whose music I don't care for but who seem likeable and easy going, IM included.

16 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

I love Iron Maiden. Or at least I did up until the Seventh Son album. They kind of peaked there for me and I could never really get into any of the subsequent albums. 

Although I've seen them live many times and it's always a great show. 

this for me as well.

• Like 2

It was their pinnacle. 

I saw them at Hammersmith on the Someowhere in Time tour, then a at Donnington and Hammersmith again. 

By the time they played Hammersmith they’d picked up loads of kids off the Number 1 - Can I Play With Madness. 

Bruce tore into the audience and pointed out my friend and I were the only true fans in the audience up in the front row balcony up all night head banging and singing the words to every song. 

After that Adrian Smith left and Bruce shortly followed. Shame.

I last saw them at the O2, the night before the Croydon riot. They just weren’t the same. Might have been the big auditorium, I don’t like those big gigs. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Doctor J said:

New Maiden. Nothing here that will make me change my mind that everything after SSOASS is a pale shadow of went before it, sadly.

I've just given this a first listen, and I'm not sure if it's my ears, or my sound system, but the mix sounds good awful to me. With both the bass and the vocal totally washed out. 

Does anyone else think the same, or do I need to readjust something? 

• Like 1