Why become a member? ×

Fretless Yamaha action. Livingston area.

32 minutes ago, prowla said:

I'm not sure why there's the no gumtree & elsewhere rule - why's it for?

I'm not sure there is any such rule? Only rules I'm aware of concern publicising one's own listings and not mentioning he-who-must-not-be-named. I'm sure the mods can set us straight, though.

There is a rule, introduced fairly recently, and I have no idea why. The rules for this section say it's for silly/funny/rubbish stuff, exclusively on Ebay & nowhere else:

As I say, no idea why links to other sites aren't permitted and no explanation's ever been given. Or possibly requested either, for that matter.

I'd be afraid to ask - but it's probably something to do with Br*x*t. :lol: :P

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, prowla said:

I'm not sure why there's the no gumtree & elsewhere rule - why's it for?

14 hours ago, nige1968 said:

I'm not sure there is any such rule?  ...

4 hours ago, Bassassin said:

There is a rule, introduced fairly recently...

3 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Yep, the rule does exist...I've had my knuckles rapped by the mods a couple of times.

It's really quite simple, and relatively obvious : it doesn't help the Basschat Marketplace to have 'business' driven away or guided to other Marketplace sites. They don't have links to Basschat; why should Basschat help them shift stuff..? Not quite the same for the 'weird and wonderful' posts allowed, as they are, in principle, by their nature, not the sort of thing you'd find for sale here. That's about it, really; bring attention to what's in the Marketplace, and not to the 'competitor' sites. You know it makes sense. :friends:

49 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's really quite simple, and relatively obvious : it doesn't help the Basschat Marketplace to have 'business' driven away or guided to other Marketplace sites. They don't have links to Basschat; why should Basschat help them shift stuff..? Not quite the same for the 'weird and wonderful' posts allowed, as they are, in principle, by their nature, not the sort of thing you'd find for sale here. That's about it, really; bring attention to what's in the Marketplace, and not to the 'competitor' sites. You know it makes sense. :friends:

Seems illogical to me, Captain - first of all, you mod types don't delete posts about 'normal' basses on Ebay, despite not being what the Ebay folder's for, so steering 'business' their way would, on that evidence, appear to be acceptable. Secondly - it would seem to me to be much more counterproductive to do anything that discourages BCers from buying basses wherever they may turn up. Why? Because when they sell them on, which they inevitably will - they'll sell them right here, that's why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

... first of all, you mod types don't delete posts about 'normal' basses on Ebay, despite not being what the Ebay folder's for...

Sorry, Spock, but you don't see what gets deleted, and  'discussions' have been had with members who repeatedly post links of the sort. We're not stoopid about it, and some get posted, but it's not a habit that the Admins want perpetuated.

1 hour ago, Bassassin said:

...much more counterproductive to do anything that discourages BCers from buying basses wherever they may turn up...

The idea behind the BC Marketplace is to have members buying and selling here. It's not really any more complicated than that. It's not wanted, having members hived off. Yes, the best deals, both buying and selling, are here, obviously, but it would be better if those wishing to buy or sell come here to do so. That's in the interests of the BC 'community', and that's what is promoted. One doesn't see adverts for Kentucky Whatsits in the MacDo shops. It's simple really. :friends:

Edited by Dad3353

I thought the main purpose of this area was to be a bit of fun and a place post things which folks in their right minds would never touch, either by virtue of being a right Horlicks, being mis-described or fake/counterfeit, or being offered at a fanciful price.

I never thought it was a place to direct potential buyers away from the BC Classifieds and I will always browse various sites (here, ebay, Gumtree, FB, Reverb, etc.) to compare prices & availability.

My acquisitions over the past couple of months have been 4 items here on BC, 1 on ebay, 1 on The Fretboard, 2 from shops, and 1 via Facebook.

The only reason I posted the link was the bass was (I think anyway) a good deal. I live in Belfast, so no chance of me scooping it. So, why not pass it on to someone who could possibly live round the corner. No harm was meant, just trying to help someone grab a bargain.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, weepaul said:

The only reason I posted the link was the bass was (I think anyway) a good deal. I live in Belfast, so no chance of me scooping it. So, why not pass it on to someone who could possibly live round the corner. No harm was meant, just trying to help someone grab a bargain.

As it happens, it's about 3 miles up the road from me.

Maybe I should buy it, then immediately flog it on here, just to make a point. And, of course, to help keep the BC Marketplace fresh & prevent it from deteriorating into a stale procession of the same old basses being passed back & forth between members. Because that would be a shame.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bassassin said:

As it happens, it's about 3 miles up the road from me.

Maybe I should buy it, then immediately flog it on here, just to make a point. And, of course, to help keep the BC Marketplace fresh & prevent it from deteriorating into a stale procession of the same old basses being passed back & forth between members. Because that would be a shame.

I'd be interested lol . I'd be a lot more comfortable buying off here than run the risk with sending cash and praying you receive it off Gumtree.