Why become a member? ×

Music man stingray neck - is this normal?

alexa3020

I’m looking at buying a second hand stingray. It looks to be in great condition. However, I’m just wondering if anybody in the know can tell me what the deal with the finish on the neck. It almost looks like it’s made of 2 separate bits joined together. 
is it normal for them to be finished like this?

25F47B73-C4EF-4F5F-8836-4F41B790EEEA.jpeg

Yes that is perfectly normal. My understanding is that the front and back of the headstock are finished with a gloss poly (or whatever they use) and then the line is where the finish stops and they then use a wax/oil finish for a smooth satin feel.

Some people have the whole neck refinished/glossed, and years ago when I had my first stingray I used multiple coatings of Birchwood Casey Tru Oil and Gun Stock Wax (ernie balls recommended finishing products) to get the neck almost to a gloss feel without a full spray finish.

These days I really appreciate the original finish on my stingray, and mine had aged and worn so well, it’s the fastest neck I have ever played.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/07/2021 at 07:38, alexa3020 said:

I’m looking at buying a second hand stingray. It looks to be in great condition. However, I’m just wondering if anybody in the know can tell me what the deal with the finish on the neck. It almost looks like it’s made of 2 separate bits joined together. 
is it normal for them to be finished like this?

25F47B73-C4EF-4F5F-8836-4F41B790EEEA.jpeg

Yep totally normal for a standard ray.

• Like 1