Why become a member? ×

Nitro finish and sharpy pen 😡

drlargepants

40 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Use hairspray and a match. Second best use of hairspray. What a lovely can it is with multiple use. :biggrin:

I'm going to buy some !

Nope, using it to hold a wayward coiffure in place is the second best use. Flamethrower for the win.

• Haha 2

I worked in a repair shop. Hairspray trick is interesting. I'd first test on an inconspicuous place such as in a control cavity (I have to imagine that not all hairsprays are formulated the same). Alcohol generally works well on permanent inks - again, depending on chemical composition - though two things with that:  first, on pure nitro I would use grain alcohol - yes, the drinkable kind (like 95%/190 proof) - as some of the denaturing agents in denatured alcohol can act as a solvent on nitro (and even grain alcohol can sometimes cause some clouding though that can generally be polished out - I try to do the whole process as quickly as possible, once the ink is gone, clean the surface of any residue). Second, if the nitro was a mix with shellac I would avoid this as alcohol is a solvent for shellac (much the same as acetone for nitro). In that case, I would probably just go with scratch remover/polish by hand on a cloth.

It's trying to find a solvent for the ink which has no effect (or the least possible) on the finish.

With any method, test first...

Edited by Kazan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1