Why become a member? ×

Tonight's gig

FinnDave

There used to be a thread about people's gigs, but I can't find it now. Played 2 1/2 hours of Grateful Dead in the garden of my local pub to a mix of regulars and quite a few people who had come along to see us. Band was under cover in an open sided marquee and the audience were in the pub garden.

Went down surprisingly well, lots of appreciative comments, got paid, got asked back.

I used my recently acquired Jazz bass (swapped an Ibanez for it) through my new Orange Little Bass Thing and Barefaced Super Compact - sounded good to my ears and the band and audience seemed to agree

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Nice one Dave.

I bet it felt good to be out there doing your thing. 👌

It did - but I've played several gigs already this year, this wasn't the first, just the first proper 2 set gig with this band.

• Like 1

Played again last night, Franklins Tower again, this one had been arranged by another member of the band, all we got for our troubles was a couple of pints each. Nice riverside location, but the stage was in 3/4 of a box, so both the sound and the heat were trapped there. We had fun playing to a small audience, though to be honest, they couldn't have comfortably fitted many more in. The windows were sealed shut, so we ended up skipping several numbers from our planned set as we could escape before one of us collapsed. I got through three T shirts!

Supposed to playing my regular slot with a three piece blues band tonight, just heard from the guitarist that his son has tested positive for corona and they live in the same house, so we're cancelling that one. Shame, as I look forward to them.

• Sad 1

On 10/07/2021 at 23:50, FinnDave said:

Played 2 1/2 hours of Grateful Dead in the garden of my local pub to a mix of regulars and quite a few people who had come along to see us.

Went down surprisingly well, lots of appreciative comments, got paid, got asked back.

I can't believe that is true. I have it on good authority from this site that if you don't play oasis it is not possible to be invited back!

well done anyway, I think the thread you meant was the "how was your gig last night" thread

• Like 1

Having spent the last three days (in this heat) playing through the material that might come up on Saturday's gig as it's a band I haven't played with for several years - got a message last night from the booker to say he'd double booked the venue, sorry, won't be needing you after all.

Incompetent doesn't begin to describe it.

• Sad 1

Finally got to play the gig following cancellation due to double booking. Arrived last night to play and was told that he's double booked again, but had sent to other act (solo singer/guitar) away with some cash to cover expenses. 

Actual gig was good, had a few local guests from other bands coming up to join in, great atmosphere. Mixture of blues and rock n roll with a singer who's been playing the local circuit for a long time and knows what he's doing. A very pleasant way to spend an evening.

Next gig is my daughter's wedding in a week's time.

• Like 1