Smoke on the Water - Heavy Metal?

Smoke on the Water - Heavy Metal?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Smoke on the Water - Heavy Metal?

• most definitely
    • yes, but barely
    • almost, but not quite
    • definitely not

I really haven't the will to read the last 7 pages, so I'm sorry of it's already been said, but back in the day, Deep Purple was described as heavy rock, along with bands like Black Sabbath & Lead Zeppelin.

I can't remember hearing the term 'heavy metal' (other than in Born to be Wild) until much later.

• Like 2

To bring some perspective my auntie used to live next door to Roger Glover in Richings Park, Iver, Buckinghamshire and my (then) teenage cousin Pete used to wash Roger's car to make a few bob.

One time Roger was in his garden planting out some marigolds and my uncle leaned over the fence and said 'Rog, is Smoke On The Water heavy metal?' and Roger put down his trowel and thought a bit and said 'No, Norman, it's hard rock but played with a hint of heaviness'.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

To bring some perspective my auntie used to live next door to Roger Glover in Richings Park, Iver, Buckinghamshire and my (then) teenage cousin Pete used to wash Roger's car to make a few bob.

One time Roger was in his garden planting out some marigolds and my uncle leaned over the fence and said 'Rog, is Smoke On The Water heavy metal?' and Roger put down his trowel and thought a bit and said 'No, Norman, it's hard rock but played with a hint of heaviness'.

Interesting tidbit of information there - so Mr. Glover had got past his (deep) purple phase by then was more into the yellow/red end of the spectrum?

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, FinnDave said:

I've got too much on for fun! Gigs here & there and daughter's wedding - which is another gig!

Enjoy the gigs, and best wishes for the gigs and the wedding. Will you be playing Smoke on The Water at the reception ?😉

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard R said:

Enjoy the gigs, and best wishes for the gigs and the wedding. Will you be playing Smoke on The Water at the reception ?😉

Thank you - I don't think Smoke on the Water is on the band's setlist though!

Could we have the bride and the groom on the floor please? Then into Smoke On The Water. Reminds me of a friend of ours who used to sing in a band that did many functions over the years. He once asked for the bride and groom etc then asked for the brides parents. Everyone Was stage whispering frantically, Al,...... they're dead!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, ubit said:

Could we have the bride and the groom on the floor please? Then into Smoke On The Water. Reminds me of a friend of ours who used to sing in a band that did many functions over the years. He once asked for the bride and groom etc then asked for the brides parents. Everyone Was stage whispering frantically, Al,...... they're dead!

As the father of the bride, I rather hope that won't be the case next month!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Interesting tidbit of information there - so Mr. Glover had got past his (deep) purple phase by then was more into the yellow/red end of the spectrum?

Okay, the first paragraph was true. The second was an outrageous lie; Mr Glover was potting on some begonias.

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Okay, the first paragraph was true. The second was an outrageous lie; Mr Glover was potting on some begonias.

Hopefully they were scarlet, and having planted them he then observed a fire on the mountain.

• Thanks 1