Why become a member? ×

Elixir 14702

danny-79

Hi all. 

I’ve been using this set of strings now for 7-8yrs. 

They are 105-50 stainless steel. Never had a problem getting hold of a new set , next working day from strings-direct. The problem I have now is EVERYWHERE within a google search is out of stock. 

Anybody know what is going on with this? Import issues maybe?  More importantly does anyone have a set I could buy ? I’ve got a recording session next Saturday and could really use them. 

Cheers 

16 hours ago, danny-79 said:

Hi all. 

They are 105-50 stainless steel. Never had a problem getting hold of a new set , next working day from strings-direct. The problem I have now is EVERYWHERE within a google search is out of stock. 

Anybody know what is going on with this? Import issues maybe?  More importantly does anyone have a set I could buy ? I’ve got a recording session next Saturday and could really use them. 

Cheers 

Bassdirect are currently showing that gauge in stock Danny, or at least they’re not marked up Out of Stock like most of the other gauges.

From what I’ve read they’re now going to be back sending them out which is great as my preferred gauge is 45-100 and not been able to get them all this year.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Bassdirect are currently showing that gauge in stock Danny, or at least they’re not marked up Out of Stock like most of the other gauges.

From what I’ve read they’re now going to be back sending them out which is great as my preferred gauge is 45-100 and not been able to get them all this year.

Thanks I’ll follow this up. Never had a problem getting them in the past, I’m guessing it’s knock on effects of the past couple of years. 

7 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Wow. You are right and just ordered them. Thank you ! 

21 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

Nice one, glad I could help 

Just been sent a refund from bass direct. Guess they don’t have any after all (confirmation email either way would of been nice and a bit earlier in the day so could look elsewhere) but cheers anyways 

• Sad 1

@danny-79 

Got some Dunlop 'Lemmy' 50-105, Stainless Steels - Had em up in the FS some time ago,

No Box, but little used on a Ibby GSR200... Cut 2/2, so no good for a Fender 4 in line etc. but will post out @ £15 if they might get you out of trouble till ya Elixir are back in stock?

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Elixirs supply chain to UK/Europe seems to have been a bit hokey this year.  Because they don't do extra long 5-string sets, I ordered a set of 14087s and a single B-string (15433).  The 14087s took about three weeks, the 15433 another month after.

Luckily, because they last so long, I won't have to replace these for a while...the B is out of stock (1-2 months delay).

• Like 1

Essentially, it seems that the the company who owns Elixir strings (W.R. Gore and Associates) are having difficulty sourcing the materials required to give the strings their coating. So there is presently a big shortage on Elixir strings. I would expect that it will be sorted out at some point soon. 

Philip McKnight (American Youtuber) did a brief video on it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. A set popped up on amazon so have ordered them, little bit pricey but hopefully they will be here by Saturday latest (not much point after that) the set that are on are ok just want new to record with. 

Hopefully Elixir will have it sorted soon. I’ve been using them that long that don’t know what I’d use as an alternative 

7 minutes ago, danny-79 said:

Thanks all. A set popped up on amazon so have ordered them, little bit pricey but hopefully they will be here by Saturday latest (not much point after that) the set that are on are ok just want new to record with. 

Hopefully Elixir will have it sorted soon. I’ve been using them that long that don’t know what I’d use as an alternative 

Markbass coated strings are a good alternative.  They feel lovely, holding up well so far.

• Like 1

D'addario also do coated strings but I have never tried them. By all accounts I understand that D'addario also make the strings for Elixir who then carry out the signature Elixir coating. I will probably try them next if my current Elixirs go dead. I'm hoping that the Elixir issues get sorted out though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, danny-79 said:

Not heard of the Markbass and didn’t know DAddario made coated bass strings, do they do coated steels ? 

I didn't know they did strings until about a year ago. There was a promotion here, I bought a set to see if they were any good (yes).

• Like 1

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/daddario-xt-coated-nickel-plated-steel-50-105-bass-guitar-strings-long-scale-p14343

The XT coated range are limited to the nickel plated strings I think. 

Ernie Ball do coated strings too (it is a new line) but I think that the Slinky sets are all nickel rather than steel, though I haven't used EB strings for a while. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

I didn't know they did strings until about a year ago. There was a promotion here, I bought a set to see if they were any good (yes).

I’ll keep an eye out for them, well I’ll have a look now lol 😆 

6 hours ago, thodrik said:

https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings-c1/string-sets-c865/bass-guitar-c34/daddario-xt-coated-nickel-plated-steel-50-105-bass-guitar-strings-long-scale-p14343

The XT coated range are limited to the nickel plated strings I think. 

Ernie Ball do coated strings too (it is a new line) but I think that the Slinky sets are all nickel rather than steel, though I haven't used EB strings for a while. 

I only know of Elixir that do coated steels. I came across them by accident and would be begrudged to use anything else 

ive had a set of the XTs before didn’t like them 

Edited by danny-79

On 10/07/2021 at 20:18, danny-79 said:

Hi all. 

Cheers 

How weird.  I been having the same issues, which is why I came into this section to see if anyone knew what was going on......I am currently using a set of Ernie Ball slinkies as a fall back.  I don't like them....I want my Elixirs back!

Just a word of caution when it comes to other brand's coated strings - Elixir own the patent on coating the finished string as a whole which is what stops your biocrud getting into the winds which makes the string go dead. The other brands coat the outer wrap and then wind it onto the string which is largely useless, in my experience, having wasted money on D'Addario and Warwick's coated offerings.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been onto Strings Direct's site and luckily for me, the Elixir set I wanted -- four string set, 45-105 steel -- were the only ones showing as in stock. I really hope whatever import issues there are get sorted soon.

• Like 2