Why become a member? ×

6 string Bass tuned EADGCF

GuyB

Can a 6 string bass be tuned EADGCF?

If it can, are the strings available?

I mostly play guitar tuned in fourths, so I find that the low B on a 6 string bass very confusing, as I know all the notes on the fretboard in EADGCF tuning without thinking.

Thanks

Could start here: https://kaliummusic.com/shop/strings/electric-bass/

If you can get an F-string long enough I don't see why it wouldn't be possible with some fiddling about with bridge, nut and truss.

This guy uses a banjo string for his top end (scroll about 3/4 of the way down to where he talks about strings): https://smartbassguitar.com/the-brian-gibson-interview-lightning-bolts-low-end/

I keep meaning to do this myself, so please do post results if you try it.

I guess if you can get string sets for 7-strings you're laughing: https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-BTB747-7-String-Bass-Natural-Low-Gloss/28R5

Edited by nige1968
  • Like 1

I used to play a 7 string bass with a high F. I used D’Addario strings, they sell singles. I think I was using a 0.020, though I’m not 100% sure now, it was a few years ago. 

You probably won’t get a wound string to go that high, at least I didn’t manage to find one. 

• Like 1

A set of D'addario piccolo strings tuned down to D work well as the top four strings, then the E and A of a similar D'addario 'normal' set complete the Sox. This has worked well for me in the past, and isn't too expensive...

• Like 1

Not 6 string, but I strung a 5 string EADGC. didn't like it though as ultimately most of the playing gets played on the E and A strings and I found the stretch to the E where the B would normally be too much like hard work. 

If youre a soloist and the majority of you're playing will be in the higher strings then it makes more sense. Not for my style of play though

• Like 1

I've did it a lot of times. Finding wound strings for the F is the main issue, but Kalium in the USA provides almost anything you want. LaBella and D'Addario 0.020 F strings are plain.

In the U.K., you can have a set made to measure by Newtone : https://newtonestrings.com/shop/custom-bass-string-configurator/

In Germany, Pyramid will do the same for you : http://pyramid-saiten.de/de/custom-shop/custom-shop.php

All these manufacturers make excellent strings.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GuyB said:

Can a 6 string bass be tuned EADGCF?

If it can, are the strings available?

I mostly play guitar tuned in fourths, so I find that the low B on a 6 string bass very confusing, as I know all the notes on the fretboard in EADGCF tuning without thinking.

Thanks

The distance from B to E is also a 4th, so if you think of it that way it may help. Relate the B string to the E string the way you relate the E to the A, now you have an extended lower range. 

• Like 1

Many thanks for the good info, yes, I was thinking about getting  a custom set of strings from newtone, whom I have had good strings from before, I'm just wondering what gauge to order.

As a quick guess, I'm thinking about these for a light gauge set for a 34 inch scale bass:

E 0.100
A 0.080
D 0.060
G 0.040
C 0.030
F 0.020

Obviously, it's the high C and F string gauges at 34inch scale that are a concern, will they break at that tension.

On 10/07/2021 at 12:29, Sambrook said:

A set of D'addario piccolo strings tuned down to D work well as the top four strings, then the E and A of a similar D'addario 'normal' set complete the Sox. This has worked well for me in the past, and isn't too expensive...

That's a very interesting option, great info, D'addario piccolo string gauges 52-42-32-20.

1 hour ago, GuyB said:

Obviously, it's the high C and F string gauges at 34inch scale that are a concern, will they break at that tension.

That's a very interesting option, great info, D'addario piccolo string gauges 52-42-32-20.

The F is only a semitone above the 8th string of a chapman stick in classic tuning and that doesn't break (and on a railboard is also 34", or 36 on a standard stick).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GuyB said:

Many thanks for the good info, yes, I was thinking about getting  a custom set of strings from newtone, whom I have had good strings from before, I'm just wondering what gauge to order.

As a quick guess, I'm thinking about these for a light gauge set for a 34 inch scale bass:

E 0.100
A 0.080
D 0.060
G 0.040
C 0.030
F 0.020

I think you’ll be fine with those gauges. My high C is a .028. I’m pretty certain I used a .020 gauge for a high F - my 7 string was an overwater 35 inch beast of a bass, I never encountered any strings breaking. Just tune slowly.

This is one of the great things about extended range instruments, there’s no right or wrong.

• Like 1

Michael Manring uses D'addario piccolo, and finds them very responsive to his wild and wacky tunings.

I have a cut down set on an Ibanez Mikro ; the G string tuned down to F makes it nice and bendy without being floppy.

(And that's the only way to get me and MM mentioned in the same post...)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

My seven string is tuned BEADGBE, not CF. I think guitar tuning with the low B so guitar chords are transferable. 

Do you know the gauge for each string you are using?

Thanks to everyone for the info.

My old 7 string was tuned with the high C and high F. The C was either a .30 or 32 and the F was a 0.20 - on a 34" scale. At the time I was using either Elite or Rotosound strings. Rotosound only did a plain 20 though iirc.

These days I use D'Addario who do a wide range of single strings (I'm not tuning to high F anymore though) - but if there's any string they can't make, then its absolutely Newtone Strings for custom winding.

• 4 months later...

If I was going for a long scale set for a bass tuned E-E I'd be looking at getting Newtone to make me a 34" version of the Axion Bass VI strings.

The gauges are .024 .034 .044 .056 .080 .100 which IMO is a good balance and gives a bit of additional weight to the higher strings, which can have a tendency to sound like bad jazz guitar with some of the more "conventional" sets.

• Like 1